Future Plans (opinions wanted)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005 | 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

Default Future Plans (opinions wanted)

Iv'e been thinking about my next few mods and just wanted a few opinions. I plan on putting a Th350 in, some sort of big cam (maybe HPE's s-cam), and a TA girdle for a little added protection for the rear. Where can I get the tranny from and how much could I sell my 4L60E for? All opinions welcomed.
Old 02-08-2005 | 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Going with a TH? I think I smell a race car!!! The girdle is basically your only protection if you can't opt for a 12 bolt. Def. do that.

Here is what you need to do:

1. Buy a Geo Metro (beater car)

3. Do your thing with the tranny

2. Slap a HUGE cam in there.

3. Tune

4. Run on slicks n' skinnies
Old 02-08-2005 | 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Slammed-am
Going with a TH? I think I smell a race car!!! The girdle is basically your only protection if you can't opt for a 12 bolt. Def. do that.

Here is what you need to do:

1. Buy a Geo Metro (beater car)

3. Do your thing with the tranny

2. Slap a HUGE cam in there.

3. Tune

4. Run on slicks n' skinnies
hell yea, i would love to do that. I guess I just might have to.
Old 02-08-2005 | 07:39 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

If this is your only car, I would never recommend a 3-spd tranny. Ever driven a TH350 car on the freeway? It sucks. Welcome to 1960s 'technology' again.
Old 02-08-2005 | 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
If this is your only car, I would never recommend a 3-spd tranny. Ever driven a TH350 car on the freeway? It sucks. Welcome to 1960s 'technology' again.
I haven't personally drove one on the highway, but I have riden in one on the street and I liked it. I very rarely drive on the highway.
Old 02-08-2005 | 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

sucks driving one on the highway, besides racing it
Old 02-08-2005 | 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Can you get a 200-4r for around the same price as a Th350? and where can i start looking?
Old 02-08-2005 | 08:15 PM
TECH Veteran

there are some good places I could name but they are not sponsors unfortunately but have heard good things about their tranny work. I would probably do a search in the Auto Trans forum for that info and whats involved with the swap...lots of good info.

As far as a good sized cam, I am not sure on the specs on the "S" cam you are talking about but I would do lots of research on it before just putting it in your car. I would go with something that has been proven in more than just one car to make good power and have good track results.

Another thing to factor in is converter choice and gears you plan to put in your rear. With your goals I would do at least 3.73 gears and a 3800+ stall converter.

Next I would get rid of that catted Y-pipe listed in your sig, you are robbing yourself of some power with that if you plan to go with a big cam. JMO

And as already stated, if this is your only means of transportation I would rethink the whole idea, especially with the 3-speed tranny. Good luck with your future goals
Old 02-08-2005 | 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

My first 68 camaro had a 3 spd tranny.... it sucked for the freeway....... had a 750cfm holley double pumper BOY DID THAT THING CHUG GAS!!!!! was doing like 4000 RPM @ like 50mph..... then when you hit 70mph and let go of the gas it just climbed back down quickly........
Old 02-08-2005 | 09:44 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

If you are determined to go with the TH350 , HPE can get that handled easily. The HPE "S" cam is definitely a proven performer. It has produced some serious HP numbers in many cars with stock heads. The TA cover is bit of added support , but IMHO the posi is the 10 bolts weakest link unless you go with 4.10 gears, then the gears are the weakest link. I would target one area and do one mod at a time.

Welcome to the addiction
Old 02-08-2005 | 10:36 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LS1 Brent
Iv'e been thinking about my next few mods and just wanted a few opinions. I plan on putting a Th350 in, some sort of big cam (maybe HPE's s-cam), and a TA girdle for a little added protection for the rear. Where can I get the tranny from and how much could I sell my 4L60E for? All opinions welcomed.
get a daily driver....i have my cam and eq. in my room still waiting for a daily driver so i can put all this **** on my car..youll end up prolly screwin more hsit up driving a high performanced vehicle as a daily driver.
Old 02-08-2005 | 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GAME OVER
get a daily driver....i have my cam and eq. in my room still waiting for a daily driver so i can put all this **** on my car..youll end up prolly screwin more hsit up driving a high performanced vehicle as a daily driver.
I agree.
Old 02-08-2005 | 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

What exactly are you goals for the car as a whole? Fun car to drive around on the street, or a car to race at the track? No matter which way you're deciding... you have alot of other basic mods that need to be taken care of before hand.

If you're looking for a fun car to drive around on the street (which is what appears to me), then I would get a nice cam, the S-cam choice is fine. Have your converter restalled up to about 3600-3800, and get some rear suspension under the car.. a set of lower control arms are a night and day addition. If your tranny starts to go south, then have it rebuilt with better internals. A TH-350 in a daily driver is cool for about 3 days, then it gets real old real quick.

If you're looking to build a race car, then go for it with the TH-350, but I think you are jumping the gun and doing things in the wrong order.
Old 02-09-2005 | 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Definately get a daily driver 1st if your planning on heavily modding your car. I have a Tacoma Prerunner as a daily driver/parts hauler and definately save on gas. Focus on one thing at a time, thats something Im not good at .
Old 02-09-2005 | 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

The TH350 is ok for the street but on the highway. My project car sucks the gas and I hate driving it on the high way. Doing 4000 RPMs and only going 55 or 60 sucks bad.

I don't know alot about the "S" cam but I was thinking about throwing it into my car too. I've seen some good numbers from it. I haven't seen much for the track results but I'm sure if I look I could find some.
Old 02-09-2005 | 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by xaon
What exactly are you goals for the car as a whole? Fun car to drive around on the street, or a car to race at the track? No matter which way you're deciding... you have alot of other basic mods that need to be taken care of before hand.

If you're looking for a fun car to drive around on the street (which is what appears to me), then I would get a nice cam, the S-cam choice is fine. Have your converter restalled up to about 3600-3800, and get some rear suspension under the car.. a set of lower control arms are a night and day addition. If your tranny starts to go south, then have it rebuilt with better internals. A TH-350 in a daily driver is cool for about 3 days, then it gets real old real quick.

If you're looking to build a race car, then go for it with the TH-350, but I think you are jumping the gun and doing things in the wrong order.
first things first get your tranny issue fixed first then, start on getting all the bolt-ons, and LCA, etc. then go with a nice cam like the HPE "S" cam. and maybe a set of heads.

TH350 sucks *** for a daily driver IMO I have had a TH350 for a little under 7-8months, then had Josh @ HPE build me a nice M6 My car is more of a fun daily driver, but just think of your goal for you car.

Brandon