Pics of BRAD-2's destroyed motor!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah all this sucks *** big time. But the G-Force gang is awesome and will get everything takin care of so that Brad can have a car up there.

Old 02-09-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

For Sale: G-Force Motorsports race-lightened LS1 piston. Set of 1.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KingCrapBox

Old 02-10-2005, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh that is wrong but funny.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CySevans
On these cars, they are studs with nuts, not bolts, connecting the manifolds to the exhaust.
Pay attention in class son. What was the last part of the statement that I made?

Mike
Old 02-10-2005, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

yep wrong but funny
Old 02-10-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Pay attention in class son. What was the last part of the statement that I made?

Mike
You said:

It looks like a bolt you'd use for exhaust collectors to bolt the 3 bolt flanges together!
The exhaust collectors on the stock manifolds on the LS1 motor (like in my old Trans Am) are not "bolts". They're studs. How many times did YOU pull that car apart?

Now if you're talking 3-bolt flanges on headers, that's a different story. That car is not running headers.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by B-RAD2
ya vince i know this is not your fault and i'm not blaiming u at all.
Yeah, I know. No worries.

If it's any consolation, I can pretty much tell you exactly what happened now based on all of the evidence and my knowledge of practically every nut and bolt under that hood. I gave it some more thought, and looked again at the picture of the offending bolt. The bolts that hold the cover down are longer and are only grade 5 bright silver. The nut/bolt combo that held the airbox to the radiator shroud was dark (like the one pictured). If the nut was not sufficiently tightened (or worn from many removal/reinstalls of the airbox), then it could have easily vibrated loose until it was eventually sucked through the de-screened MAF and into the motor. The timeframe from when the airbox was last removed at Speed Demon to the time the bolt eventually came loose completely and got sucked into the motor is about right for it not having been sufficiently tightened. Like I said before, I always had to hold the nut while tightening, and it was a tight fit getting my hand between the shroud and the crossmember, so it was not a simple task. So, if anyone would be suspect in this tragedy, it would be Suncoast for not providing a more safe and secure method for bolting the airbox down, not to mention the common "free mod" practice of descreening the MAF for better airflow and more HP. And I almost put a stock MAF back in it, but couldn't locate one in time before the sale.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

You said:

The exhaust collectors on the stock manifolds on the LS1 motor (like in my old Trans Am) are not "bolts". They're studs. How many times did YOU pull that car apart?

Now if you're talking 3-bolt flanges on headers, that's a different story. That car is not running headers.

So no where in my post did it say that the car had stock manifolds....Did I?

Do you honestly think im that stupid...Thats a generic bolt, I didnt know it had a junky Ram Air aftermarket piece on it. Its a 9/16 head about 1" or longer in length. The same size bolt youd use on 3 bolt exhaust flanges. Thank you for misunderstanding me.

Mike
Old 02-10-2005, 01:58 PM
Banned

Do you honestly think im that stupid...

Mike

ya I think so, why keep going back and forth
Old 02-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Banned

LOL sorry couldn't resist being a smart a$$

Old 02-10-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

There is one other possiblility, which could open up a whole new can of worms here. There is a nut/bolt combo under the filter that holds the intake housing to the radiator cross-member. If that nut was not tightened enough, it is entirely possible that engine vibration could have loosened it enough where the bolt was sucked in. Mike says the bolt was silver, but looking at it, it's hard to tell. I would have to see it in person to know exactly which bolt that is because it's smaller than the other two that hold the filter cover down. To tighten it, I always had to hold my hand on the nut, or else it would spin freely and not tighten.

If it is, indeed, one of the bolts that holds the housing down, then the only way to get one of those under the filter would be to remove and reinstall the filter with the bolt inadvertantly underneath. They are under the foam, and the foam had pressure on it from the hood. In 5 years and almost 40K miles, those bolts never came loose on their own.

I suspect it's the bolt that holds the housing to the cross-member. This could explain why it went several thousand miles before suddenly giving out. If that's the case, then this is an unfortunate series of events that no one could have predicted or prevented.

A preventative measure to keep this from happening in the future would be to use thread lock or a nylon locknut on that bolt (or re-install a stock MAF with screen). The nut that was on it was friction lock only.
This is exactly what I was thinking, I've seen bolts do similar things before.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i was just shocked to see the pics of my motor . i wanted to cry

but i will live again
Old 02-10-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

Do you honestly think im that stupid...Thats a generic bolt, I didnt know it had a junky Ram Air aftermarket piece on it. Its a 9/16 head about 1" or longer in length. The same size bolt youd use on 3 bolt exhaust flanges. Thank you for misunderstanding me.

Mike

Thank you for getting involved in something you know nothing about. The car in question used to be mine, so obviously I'm in a better position than you to determine what the bolt is from. Now just drop it and move on.

And it's an 8mm head. Hardly big enough for an exhaust flange.

Last edited by CySevans; 02-10-2005 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CRAGER
Sorry to hear about that man.
G-Force will do you right. What are you getting to replace the motor, stroker, all-bore, stock ls1?
probably a 346 forged with a few extras but not to sure yet. i'm waiting on word from mike so he can tell me what my options are.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike

A: get a life and B: it was damn METRIC BOLT!!

Sorry to see your motor like that man. We have all torn into ablown motor a time or two

She will be back up soon!
Old 02-10-2005, 08:59 PM
8 Sec Tuner

Ill have your entire quote on fri. Just trying to come up with a forged 347 package with heads and cam thats in your budget.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike TexaSS
Ill have your entire quote on fri. Just trying to come up with a forged 347 package with heads and cam thats in your budget.

talk about takin care of your customer, Great Job MIKE

Brad sounds like your in good hands, and it aint allstate

GFORCE
Old 02-10-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Too bad this happened. I always loved this car when you had it Vince. I know Brad is enjoying it. It will just be all that much better when he gets it back. I know Jay and the guys at G-Force will take care of him.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by boos2
Too bad this happened. I always loved this car when you had it Vince. I know Brad is enjoying it. It will just be all that much better when he gets it back. I know Jay and the guys at G-Force will take care of him.
Yeah, no doubt. A forged 347 with heads and cam will be putting out more power than that car has ever seen!

Just remember, Brad, with 380 at the wheels I destroyed the rear end and fried the clutch, which is why it has a rebuilt rear end and an LS6 clutch. Be careful!

Quick Reply: Pics of BRAD-2's destroyed motor!!!