I've been signed over!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005 | 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

or they will do it for you. . . lol
Old 02-28-2005 | 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Haha, what an exciting day. Got there rather late (9:30ish) and left around 7:45. Got everything taken care of though. Took ASVAB again, did medical (cheeks spread!), background came out all good. Swore in at the end and got my awesome Welcome Aboard package and a shirt that is a medium and fits me like a night gown. As far as MOS goes, I am still poking around for info about everything trying to figure out exactly what I want to do. I would like something as a mix of Comm and Combat because I want to see some overseas action.

Anyway, thanks to all those who have served and are serving, and thanks for the comments from the rest of you civilians . Just getting through today on very little sleep was quite a challenge, and there are many more to come.
Old 03-01-2005 | 09:41 PM
bbz
TECH Regular

A bit of advice about bootcamp:

a) show up physically fit; upper & lower body. Go in already able to run 3 miles, able to do at least 80 situps (non stop), and alot of pull ups

b) know for a fact that when you go in they will be playing a mind game to get you used to working under high pressure situations. Don't complain, cry or talk back...just stay quite.

c) get used to VERY long and busy days and short nights.

d) remember...it will eventually end.

Good luck...Semper Fi!
Old 03-01-2005 | 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by InfamousZ
Good Luck with the Doc Interview. .

That's funny!!!

I HATE THAT #%^&* place
Old 03-01-2005 | 10:05 PM
10-Second Club

If I were you, I would have already figured out my MOS before you go in so it's in your contract that you get to do what YOU want & not what the tell you to.

But, same as said above, get in shape now, keep a low profile, don't volunteer too much or make yourself too known to the Drills....that will make boot camp easier. Boot camp is basically to get you in shape & to see if you can handle stress.
Old 03-01-2005 | 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I am thinking of going with 0848, Field Artillery Operations Man. Anyone on here worked in Artillery before?
Old 03-01-2005 | 10:11 PM
10-Second Club

Do you want to have a hearing aid later in life?
Old 03-01-2005 | 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

^ what he said....fixed ,among alot of other things, the M198 (BFG) optics...even got to pull the string a few times .....very loud.....props to the arty guys, but i would suggest looking elsewhere.......elevate, depress, digging in....blah blah blah....its actually pretty boring.
Old 03-01-2005 | 10:37 PM
10-Second Club

Travel to far and exotic places, meet new & exciting people....then kill them!
U.S. Military
Old 03-01-2005 | 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Arty units double as grunt units if/when needed....not sure if that's what your looking for or not....i know some arty guys....good guys, but alot of them wish that they had picked something different.
Old 03-01-2005 | 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Modsquad
Travel to far and exotic places, meet new & exciting people....then kill them!
U.S. Military
I'll to that
Old 03-01-2005 | 10:46 PM
10-Second Club

Also, if you are going to be in the field, get into a unti that is mechanized, humping a rucksack sucks especially if you gotta go to the middle east.
Old 03-02-2005 | 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by djfuzzy
Well, I am thinking of going with 0848, Field Artillery Operations Man. Anyone on here worked in Artillery before?

dude i thought you said you didn't want to be a grunt? arty guys are currently walking in the sand box right now. no big guns with them. if you really want to be a grunt 0352 TOW gunner at least that way you know 99% of the time you're driving not stopping and having to set up a gun the TOW is already mounted to the hmmwv and you sit up in the turret and stop and shoot and then drive of. No tank can touch you if you shoot a TOW.
Old 03-02-2005 | 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

im telling you man aviation is where its at. even if you dont get a flying MOS (flight mech., loadmaster, navigator) get a mantenince MOS. i have been to over 20 countries now so if its travel you are looking for get into a c-130 squadron.
Old 03-02-2005 | 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I am still looking into what MOS I should go into, thanks for the opinions and facts. The descriptions and stuff on any website are crap so getting real life examples is much better.

What do all you guys do? (MOS # please)
Old 03-02-2005 | 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

mine is 6276
Old 03-02-2005 | 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

I can't find 6276?
Old 03-02-2005 | 01:47 PM
On The Tree

1.0369/ 2.3529/3. 8551/4. 9954.
1. grunt
2. mechanic/ maintenance chief on hmmwvs.
3. close combat instructor (martal arts)
4. safety/ hazmat SNCOIC (go and get people in trouble)
Old 03-02-2005 | 06:50 PM
10-Second Club

I was Army so it doesn't apply, but things are similar....besides, it'll only help you more if you get a job you can somewhat go into after you get out. If you get into aviation maint. you can become a jet mechancic & they make good money. I hear it's stressful but something to consider. Just keep doing your homework. Also, when I was considering going back into the service about 6 months ago I was going to go into the Navy so I could travel some & also work on my degree while at sea I found that the Yahoo chatrooms were ok places to ask questions. You should log into them & start asking around, maybe find some people to chat with one on one so you can get a better idea from more people that are doing the jobs instead of just reading recruiter crap. Get the inside perspective without all the sales hype, lol.
Old 03-02-2005 | 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blackws69
1.0369/ 2.3529/3. 8551/4. 9954.
1. grunt
2. mechanic/ maintenance chief on hmmwvs.
3. close combat instructor (martal arts)
4. safety/ hazmat SNCOIC (go and get people in trouble)
^
1. Infantry Platoon Sgt.
3. (Secondary MOS...something that you can pick up after you get in...think of it as certification for additional duties)
4. that's funny, usually it's the safty/ hazmat NCO/SNCO that gets into trouble. The 71's (optics guys) have a Rad. guy that helps them out as the Subject Matter expert. (NRC(Nuclear Regulatory Commission) is WAAYY more jewish than the EPA ever thought about being...they **** EVERYBODY!!!)

me ->2171 (aka optics guys, TOW Tech's, 71's...we fix ALOT of **** )
Electro-Optical Ordnance Repair...officially
Basically we repair anything that puts ordnance on target (ground side...and some things that put air to surface missiles and bombs on target)....laser range finders, all sorts of scopes, thermal vision, Passive night vision (night vision goggles), Missile systems (including TOW)...list goes ON AND ON!
Some of the other MOS's in the Ordnance Repair field.

2111- small arms repair (from m-16's to machine guns)
2131- Arty Mechanic (they fix the gun...where as the Optics guys fix the sites that put it on target)
2146-Tank Mechanic (71's fix targeting equip.)
2147-LAV Mechanic (fix targeting equip.)
2161-Machinist
2141-AAV Machanic (71's pretty much only purge the optical sight to prevent fogging)

All of these are good jobs, they put you close (if not at) the front of "things" during war depending on wether you are stationed with the grunt unit or the maint. unit. Most all of them give you skills that can get you good jobs when you get out.

Im not trying to pimp the ordnance field or anything, I'm speaking Objectively, there are other good jobs, MSG, Intel, (both get you a high security clearance MSG more-so than Intel, not all Intel guys have a Top Sec. clearance.)
Im not a recruiter, so you dont have to worry about me selling you on something. I had an AWESOME recruiter, never bullshit me once, told me like it was. Everything that i was promised was put into writing just like he said. If ya want to talk...in person or on the phone, I'll answer any questions that i can. It really comes down to what YOU want to do, and stick to your guns, there are a few bad recruiters out there...not that it hasn't happened, but more often than not, the "bad" recruiter stories are usually not the recruiter's fault.

Last edited by A_W_O_L; 03-02-2005 at 09:33 PM.