MTI Clear lids crack like crazy

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 07:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MTI Clear lids crack like crazy

I have been thru 2 lids in 3 years. They crack on the tabs that hold them down and everywhere else. You would think they would last I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem. Hell The new lid they replaced doesnt have more than 12k on it and it look like crap allready. Had to expoy it I will post pics when I get back from work. Its a shame these lids dont hold up. There look dam good at the show.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Specially with the raised WS6 airbox. I used to have the regular one and it was even a tough fit on that one... I've had mine about a year and it's starting to show around those tabs... I mean, all the other lids fit well, what gives?
Old 03-22-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

in my experiance clear plastic isnt as durable as the opaque stuff. i had a clear lid on my '01 z28, it was cracked on the MAF side, but a friend wanted a black one i was like what the hell.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Veteran

I never had any trouble out of my clear one. But I only removed it once to drill it for the nitrous. Maybe that's why it held up...I dunno.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Never had a problem with mine for 3 years now
Old 03-22-2005, 12:23 PM
9 Second Club

Strange. I will post the pics. All around the maf and the tabs are cracked bad. Worst part about it ITS ALLREADY BEEN REPLACED!
Old 03-22-2005, 03:24 PM
Badass pool player

The clear lids are sometimes not as durable as the black/carbon fiber due to the materials used. Please e-mail me over those pictures davidc@motorsporttech.com and let me look at them, along with an address that I can send you a brand new lid over to.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

David Coates
MTI
Houston, TX
Old 03-22-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

MTI is really good about replacing the clear lids. They sent a new one to me with no questions asked. But now the new one I have is starting to crack as well. Mine cracked around the throttle body first before the tabs started to crack. It was not because of overtightening, the dang think fits on my TB like a glove. So David if I send my second lid in can I switch to a carbon fiber or black lid? Thanks.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Badass pool player

Jeff,

No problem - send it back to my attention and I'll swap it out.

Regards,

David
Old 03-22-2005, 06:41 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MTI replaced mine as well, i ended up cutting a small recess in my black plastic part (right under the MAF) so that it can ride a little bit lower. everything fits alot better now and the MAF/lid cover the hole.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

That was easy...
Old 03-22-2005, 10:15 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by poolfanatic
The clear lids are sometimes not as durable as the black/carbon fiber due to the materials used. Please e-mail me over those pictures davidc@motorsporttech.com and let me look at them, along with an address that I can send you a brand new lid over to.

Sincerely,

David Coates
MTI
Houston, TX
I allready pmed you and emailed you. Please look at the pics. Thanks alot for your time. I would rather have a carbon fiber instead if I can. I am done with the clear ones.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

A friend of mine bought a "blemished" one 3 years ago, and hasn't had a problem since. It's a daily driver too.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:32 PM
10-Second Club

Dave, I need to swap out a lid too, It's been riding around in the truck. I even mentioned it last time I was up there but forgot to bring it in

Also, Chris didn't knock on my door with my new goody for the TA guess he figured it would look nicer on his car
Old 03-22-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

Now that's customer service.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Modsquad
Dave, I need to swap out a lid too, It's been riding around in the truck. I even mentioned it last time I was up there but forgot to bring it in

Also, Chris didn't knock on my door with my new goody for the TA guess he figured it would look nicer on his car
LoL sorry i have to leave early on tuesdays for school. I'll put in my car now and drop it off by your house tonight! There will be a 1 MIIIIIILLLLLLLION dollar charge though!!!
Old 03-23-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

I am loyal to MTI, but the one time I had a complaint was about the (carbon fiber) lid. The tabs were cracked, the spot where the sensor goes was cracking, and the throttle body opening seemed to be cracking. Am I missing something or is it who you know? Actually I think its why I am getting a little hesitation.

Joe
Old 03-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Badass pool player

Originally Posted by fastflames
I am loyal to MTI, but the one time I had a complaint was about the (carbon fiber) lid. The tabs were cracked, the spot where the sensor goes was cracking, and the throttle body opening seemed to be cracking. Am I missing something or is it who you know? Actually I think its why I am getting a little hesitation.

Joe
Joe,

Wish you had brought that up while you were at the shop yesterday, I'd have been more than happy to look at it and see if we needed to set you up with a new one. Snap a few pictures and send them over to me via e-mail and I'll see what I can do.

Regards,

David
Old 03-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

Sincerely,

David Coates
MTI
Houston, TX
I just sent you an e-mail with pics. Please check them out and see what you can do. Thanks for your time,
Cody
Old 03-23-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Regular

Joe,

Wish you had brought that up while you were at the shop yesterday, I'd have been more than happy to look at it and see if we needed to set you up with a new one. Snap a few pictures and send them over to me via e-mail and I'll see what I can do.

Regards,

David

Well that's what I want to hear, David. I got brushed off last time like it was my fault the thing was cracking. I'll email the pics over to you as soon as I can. Oh, and could you pm me pricing for the TNT f1 kit and install, and pricing for the kooks LT's and Ypipe w/ install.

Thanks,
Joe