Who can polish wheels well in Houston?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Who can polish wheels well in Houston?

My fingers hurt, and the Mothers Power ball sucks my *****. Anyone know of a place or someone that polishes really well? My CCWs are in some need of attention. thanks!

daniel
Old 06-20-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha
get Gords metal polish, then hit them with Mothers billet afterwards.

Take 1hr at most for all 4 on those wheels. They look really simple to polish, compared to my TT2s.

BTW the powerball does suck ***. And for the love of your wheels daniel, use Microfiber towels even to polish, etc.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

In what way does the Power Ball suck? I was thinking about getting it for my wheels.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

I do use microfiber. I can polish them using the Billet, i just have to rub VERY hard and do small parts at a time. So at this rate its going to take a long time. Thats why i was asking, where can i get this Gords stuff? It works better than the Mothers? Also, my wheels DONT have clearcoat on them...that might be an issue. Get back with me Brandon.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ulySSes
In what way does the Power Ball suck? I was thinking about getting it for my wheels.
In that it doesn't polish. Maybe I was using it wrong? I dunno but it did nothing for my wheels and it was 27 dollars
Old 06-20-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Bummer, I was looking forward to tryin it. Oh well, I'll keep breaking for fingers.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

http://gordsaluminumpolish.com/

It will take the hard **** out and still protect somewhat. Then go to mothers billet. I know some people let it dry (the billet) but I can't stand to do it that way. Works much better just rubb in and off w/o drying.

The gords polish will help get the spots and other crap off the wheels that keep them from being "slick" and making it a PITA to polish your wheels.

Side note: with Gords they recommend a red rag... dont use it, just use the Microfiber folded over a couple times. Wear latex or some sort of gloves aswell.
I take the Gords, wipe it in an area, and wipe around on them for a little bit, (little pressure is needed, but can be used to get out the bastard spots)move on to another area, letting it haze (yes with this it HAS to dry). After all of the wheel or wheels, whatever you do, is dry/hazed, lightly and i mean lightly, wipe part of the polish off. The towel will start to grap at some points, move to another section of the towel. Then turn to another portion of the towel and buff to final shine. then start the mothers billet.

Yes it sounds like alot of steps to getting wheels looking good, but I've had people ask if mine where chrome before.

The power ball sucks, because it gets **** everywhere, and honestly doesnt do ****. It just spread **** around. Its ok if your wheels are almost perfect and you dont mine cleanign your calipers and the backsides of the rim when done. But if your wheels look that good the same amount of time with Mothers billet would suffice.

Hope this helps, any more questions/comments feel free. I've used alot of polishes and compounds on wheels. My next step is wetsanding them to perfection.....(if I ever get around to it)
Old 06-20-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd look into getting them professionally polished then clearcoated...dunno if anyone in Houston that does it but if it's not too expensive that'd be really nice. Then you'd just wipe 'em clean.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:06 PM
Teching In

There is a place in houston called Sabs thats does wheel repair, polishing, etc. I called them and they quoted me around $100 per wheel for polishing my 18" Budnics, depending on condition.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

100/wheel? damn
I'd expect that for something with a satin finish to near chrome appearance.
front and back!

Clearcoating IMO will make them look like ****. It will show every tiny *** imperfection, and turn yellow and chip after a while.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thegreenbullitt
I'd look into getting them professionally polished then clearcoated...dunno if anyone in Houston that does it but if it's not too expensive that'd be really nice. Then you'd just wipe 'em clean.
I would like to do that, but I be concerned of it peeling or turning a different color with time. Not sure the durabilty of a clear on bare aluminum.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

holler at me Daniel. you can bring the car by and ill knock em out and if needed detail your ride.. and show you some of my work
Old 06-20-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
holler at me Daniel. you can bring the car by and ill knock em out and if needed detail your ride.. and show you some of my work
Will ya do mine also?
Old 06-20-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

yes sir. holler back .
Old 06-20-2005, 05:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bluestreak98
My fingers hurt, and the Mothers Power ball sucks my *****. Anyone know of a place or someone that polishes really well? My CCWs are in some need of attention. thanks!

daniel

Daniel that **** does, suck, just have to get the right stuff to do them with. I have a love hate with all my cars, love them when there clean, hate to spend my dam weekend washing the dam thing. If I wash it myself, I put about 5-6 hrs doing it and sometimes more, so I feel your pain. Remember wax on wax off LOL

Goodluck, those rims are badass

JET
Old 06-20-2005, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bluestreak98

daniel

i have polished ROH's wheels and it took me about 45 minutes to polish all 4 Im sure your rims already have fine scratches here and there so you can try using a terry cloth applicator with some mothers polish and what ever that app doesnt clean you can do by finger. But the app will clean a larger area with less time. MF doesnt work in polish as well as terry does on wheels. But the MF will work better in removing the polish. I havent tried gords but i have heard good things. I use Mothers and finish it up with Heavymetal polish.

Good luck.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CRZY747
Daniel that **** does, suck, just have to get the right stuff to do them with. I have a love hate with all my cars, love them when there clean, hate to spend my dam weekend washing the dam thing. If I wash it myself, I put about 5-6 hrs doing it and sometimes more, so I feel your pain. Remember wax on wax off LOL

Goodluck, those rims are badass

JET

No offense but if anyone properly takes care of their car it shouldnt take you 5-6 hours to clean it up. Now on a detail that may be different. If i wash my car and polish my wheels it probably takes me about an 1hr and 30 minutes to do everything. If you properly prep the car and use a good process that works for you your polish or wax should last months. Therefore your carwashes shouldnt take any more than 30 minutes. But like i said no offense, im trying to help.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Daniel, just trade me wheels......
and I will polish them while they are on my car.
The ten spokes will look good on the vette.
Scratches and all.......
Old 06-20-2005, 07:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 6']['9
No offense but if anyone properly takes care of their car it shouldnt take you 5-6 hours to clean it up. Now on a detail that may be different. If i wash my car and polish my wheels it probably takes me about an 1hr and 30 minutes to do everything. If you properly prep the car and use a good process that works for you your polish or wax should last months. Therefore your carwashes shouldnt take any more than 30 minutes. But like i said no offense, im trying to help.

I agree, but I want my car spot less, I wash the dam thing twice. Then go over the car on the inside, hmm and clean the hell out of the rims, and so on and so forth, sure I can wash it in 30min, but it don't look anywere near what it could if I take my time and really clean it. I understand your point, and no offense taken.

JET
Old 06-21-2005, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

flamesuit on for this
but I used Meguiars Hot wheels after the power tour to clean mine up.
The stuff worked wonders on removing the road grime/crap from coming back through several hundred miles of rain. Even removed some water spots!
shouldn't need it too often though...