Baylor Medical School

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 12:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Baylor Medical School

Anybody go there. I checked tuition for OU and Baylor, and there is about $10K difference. Baylor is more because I'm not a Texas resident and from what I've heard is that it is a private institution. My parents live in Fort Worth so I can probably get the Texas resident rebate. I was just wondering how good of a Med program they have. I should be in Med school in a year and a half but am still unsure as to which one I want to go to. My friends parents live in Houston and I loved the way there was always something to do and that it is still growing. What do apartment prices range from down there? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:07 AM
Ginger Hater

Baylor is a great Med Program!
Old 07-06-2005, 12:08 AM
Launching!

HAhahahaha, Baylor, j/k man, dunno anything about it. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by resurrectedz28
HAhahahaha, Baylor, j/k man, dunno anything about it. Good luck.
I haven't found a site that lists non ivy league med programs for comparison so I really don't know if 1 is better than the other. I do know that I am looking for a change of scenery and Houston might just be the change I'm looking for.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Talking

Originally Posted by 99BLACKBIRD
I haven't found a site that lists non ivy league med programs for comparison so I really don't know if 1 is better than the other. I do know that I am looking for a change of scenery and Houston might just be the change I'm looking for.
Baylor has an EXCELLENT med program! The doctors here who work/teach in the Baylor program are some of the best in the country in thier respective fields...You wont be disappointed
Old 07-06-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I hear it is a great med school...the professional school programs at Baylor are all top notch (medical, law, etc)...nothing like their undergrad programs, very average IMO
Old 07-06-2005, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

med school huh.... what part of the medical program you going for.....????
Old 07-06-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i think he's going to be a pharmacist..

I was accepted to Baylor when I graduated...at the time I was going to go to med school. But, at that time i hadn't applied for any scholarships etc and Baylor is way too expensive out of pocket..so I didn't go (i was a lazy senior, what can i say?)

Baylor is a great school in a not so great location - waco is kinda dumpy and there's not too much to do. I looked at and priced apts in the waco area at www.rent.com and they were nice and fairly cheap.

And, if you're a bachelor...Baylor is definitely the school for you. I've heard (and i've only HEARD) that girls that go to Baylor are a little loose..stuck up..but loose. Don't kill the messenger..that's just what i've heard!

Plus, Baylor's a baptist school..same at UMHB..you have to take chapel, whether you're religious or not. Which is about the same at any private church-related school.

Have you looked into Rice or A&M? They both have really good med schools, as well. Or perhaps even John's Hopkins in Maryland? (I really wanted to go there but talk about $$$$!)
Old 07-06-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Are we talking about the Baylor in Dallas or the one in Waco ?

The one in Dallas is the dental one and I believe does other medical and that is where my father graduated and where I plan on going.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the one in waco.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Are you planning on living in Houston and driving to Waco everyday for school??? That is about a 2.5 hour drive, so you'd probably have to find some place there in Waco to live.

Baylor is a good school, don't really know much about their med school, but I had a friend who started this past year as a pre-med, and switched majors because he said it was pretty tough.... but then again he is kinda lazy, so who knows. Good luck with whatever you do!

Brian
Old 07-06-2005, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

Neither, he is talking about the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. It's not affiliated with Baylor University. Its tough to get in to, ranked 13 in the nation for graduate medical research programs last year:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/gra...rank_brief.php

Cp
Old 07-06-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Talking

I was actually referring to baylor college of medicine here in Houston....They broke affiliation with the actual baylor University many years ago..

Im sure Rice is also a top rated medical school, they are in everything else. Rice wont be any cheaper though...
Old 07-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I was asking about the Baylor in Houston. I should have my bachelors degree in biochemistry in a year and then it's off to Med School for anesthesiology. I read that the cutoff GPA for OU and Baylor was really similar, a 3.6. Baylor's MCAT average is quite a bit higher. Thanks everybody for the info. I've still got over a year but the **** is already complicated. I've talked to some doctors at work and they all pretty much say that graduating is all you need, not where you go. I still would like to get out of Oklahoma though!
Old 07-06-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

wow bachelors in biochemsitry..... can you please tell me which classes you have previously taken.... I am also going for biochem. but not too sure which classes i must take etc.... I'm currently getting my Associates in Biology and then transfering.....
Old 07-06-2005, 11:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK #07
wow bachelors in biochemsitry..... can you please tell me which classes you have previously taken.... I am also going for biochem. but not too sure which classes i must take etc.... I'm currently getting my Associates in Biology and then transfering.....
Here's the classes to have a bacheors in biochemistry. It's a pretty standard bachelors degree for premed and predental.
http://cheminfo.chem.ou.edu/undergra...1905E-0405.pdf
Old 07-07-2005, 12:29 AM
TECH Junkie

damn calculus 1 2 & 3.... going to start taking cal. 1 this semester... see how that goes
Old 07-07-2005, 12:46 AM
Launching!

Good luck man, this **** will kick your ***! Kiss your life goodbye. I have. It will all pay off in the end though.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:56 AM
TECH Junkie

thanks man
Old 07-07-2005, 06:21 AM
On The Tree

My wife is going to baylor school of dentistry next year located in downtown dallas. We were down visiting my family Dallas and that school was located in the heart of downtown dallas. Tough location. Tuition is about 200k for 4 years.