Anyone coming to the Vernon cruise/street races?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone coming to the Vernon cruise/street races?

Hey,

The Vernon cruise is next weekend (Aug 12-14) and it's a HUGE cruise, over 1000 cars, and they say the show is even bigger.

Click here for more info.

They are also having heads up grudge racing at Wichita Raceway Park on Saturday night, starting at 10pm. This is probably one of the best all heads up racing action around, lots of $$$ tossed around.

Is anyone planning on coming?

Run what ya' brung, and hope it's enough!
Old 08-05-2005, 09:56 AM
FormerVendor

You know I'll be there Lee. Randall, myself, and few other's I think are going to go pretty early and get a spot along the main street to hang out for the day. If you want a spot to park just let me know.

About the racing. Everyone I have talked to says they are going to stay in Vernon and race this year, wink wink....so I don't know who all will be going to the track. From what I've been told there is going to be major money won and loss this year, there are some very serious street cars coming from OKC, and there is a guy coming from west Tx. with his 67-68 Chevelle that is making 1400+ to the wheels with a EFI/Turbo motor. Saw the car 2 yrs ago in Vernon when it had a procharger and carb (still making 1200+rwhp). There is also supposed to be some mean cars coming from south Tx, and possibly a 1000rwhp Supra.

It's going to be wild this year! So everyone that can make it needs to come up to Vernon and enjoy the weekend!
Old 08-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Launching!

I heard that there's going to be a lot of street racing on that Friday, but Saturday is when everyone is going to the track. That's just what I heard. I'd rather goto the track cause I'm slow on the street, not that I'm fast at the track.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NXJeremy
there is a guy coming from west Tx. with his 67-68 Chevelle that is making 1400+ to the wheels with a EFI/Turbo motor. Saw the car 2 yrs ago in Vernon when it had a procharger and carb (still making 1200+rwhp).
Is that Buddy Macafee's car?
Old 08-05-2005, 10:45 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by foxspy
I heard that there's going to be a lot of street racing on that Friday, but Saturday is when everyone is going to the track. That's just what I heard. I'd rather goto the track cause I'm slow on the street, not that I'm fast at the track.
Yea, I just got off the phone with one of Billy O'Dell's guys and he said that all of the big racers are not even going to the cruise on Sat. Appearently there was going to be an old air strip for the racing in Vernon and that deal fell through. So now everyone is going straight to the track in Wichita Falls. Billy was testing last night with a brand new motor and right off the trailer he ran only .06 slower spraying 100 or 150hp (can't remember which) than the fastest the car has ever been (spraying 600hp last year). So there is a lot more still in it. My friend said there were 6-8 cars testing last night that were all in the 5.0-5.50 range.

He also said that FastTech was going to bring a few LS1's. Maybe one of their guys on here can confirm/deny it.

Also, this year Darrell (the track owner) said there are'nt going to be any classes like last year. Instead, if you want to race someone all you have to do is set it up and go to the staging lanes. He also said that as long as there are two cars in the lanes the track will stay open, so we could be racing till the sun comes up, haha.

Last edited by NXJeremy; 08-05-2005 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:51 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Is that Buddy Macafee's car?
Not sure of the guys name, I only talked to him briefly in Vernon 2yrs. ago. He is from Odessa. The car is a 67 or 68 Chevelle, flat black, tubbed, full cage, pro-stock looking air scoop, and wheelie bars. That year it had a procharge and carb on it (don't remember if it was a big block or small block though), now it has EFI a big turbo that is making more power.

A mutual friend of his and Billy O'Dell has already let Billy know that this guy is coming specifically to race Billy's small block camaro. It's going to be a good race, nitrous small block vs. turbo (bbc or sbc?). Billy beat him 2yrs ago in Vernon so I guess this guy is looking for some payback, haha.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats him. Have not seem him in years. He told me of his future turbo plans in the late 90's. Should be one wicked car. Its a 1967 BTW. I need to try to get off work early and come up.

Originally Posted by NXJeremy
Not sure of the guys name, I only talked to him briefly in Vernon 2yrs. ago. He is from Odessa. The car is a 67 or 68 Chevelle, flat black, tubbed, full cage, pro-stock looking air scoop, and wheelie bars. That year it had a procharge and carb on it (don't remember if it was a big block or small block though), now it has EFI a big turbo that is making more power.

A mutual friend of his and Billy O'Dell has already let Billy know that this guy is coming specifically to race Billy's small block camaro. It's going to be a good race, nitrous small block vs. turbo (bbc or sbc?). Billy beat him 2yrs ago in Vernon so I guess this guy is looking for some payback, haha.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Thats him. Have not seem him in years. He told me of his future turbo plans in the late 90's. Should be one wicked car. Its a 1967 BTW. I need to try to get off work early and come up.
Thanks for the name and the correction on the yr model of the car. That car was one of the most wicked cars at Vernon last time he was here, but it just didn't get around Billy's small block Camaro. I bet the rematch it going to be a hell of a race. It will be interesting to see how it goes down on the track since the last race was on the street and Billy's Camaro hooks very well on both the street and the track. I would bet that MacaFee's car hook's better on the track so it's going to be intersting.

Everyone definately needs to make the trip to Wichita Falls to see all the action
Old 08-08-2005, 08:15 AM
Launching!

To the top. John, are we meeting anywhere Friday night before we head to Vernon? I didn't make it out this past weekend so I don't know what the plans are.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought you were still in Colorado and were going to miss the cruise. Barb and I will be going up Friday evening to see if we can scare up a race or two. On Saturday we are leaving the house at 6 pm. Anybody who wants to cruise up with us can just meet at the house.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:03 PM
FormerVendor

Hey John, what's the word on any action Fri. night in Vernon? I have been hearing that a lot of the 5 and 6 sec. guys are just going to wait and race on Sat. at the track instead of risking it on the street. I'm just trying to decide if it will be worth it to head to Vernon on Fri night.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default vernon cruise

I plan on going saturday and sunday , lots of fun in this wee town !
Old 08-08-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jeremy, I'm going to do both. Last year Friday action was dead. One race was all I could dig up. Regardless, it sure beats doing nothing here on a Friday night.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Launching!

I'm not going Friday night, but this old POS truck will be at the track Saturday to take someone's money.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

I should be there with goldZ. Trying to make mr. vasser come and quit being a lazy bum.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:57 AM
FormerVendor

Sounds good John, I'll probably end up going on Fri. If nothing else it is a decent ride on the chopper. I'll try to find you guys once I get there.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

I am not going to make it on Fri. night and I get off at 6 on Sat. night. I will swing by Johns when I leave and see if anyone is still around. If not I will just meet you guys out there.

Or everyone could meet at AutoZone around 6 and we could leave from there.

Jeremy
Old 08-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Jeremy,

I can meet you at Autozone at 6:00 and we can roll out from there.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:36 AM
FormerVendor

Is anyone going to meet up on Fri. before heading to Vernon?

On Sat. myself and a couple of the guys from NX are planning on going to the track around 5:30 or 6:00pm to try and get a space along the fence. We'll probably bring a grill and do some cooking. If anyone want's to stop by their more than welcome too.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HooliganZ
Jeremy,

I can meet you at Autozone at 6:00 and we can roll out from there.
Roger that...