***car Stolen***

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 12:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you list your mods on your insurance? I just switched over to Nationwide and they made me disclose that on my new policy, so if the car was stolen I would get that plus the value of the car.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Launching!

In Texas is your vehicle is not found within 30 days insurance will have to settle and pay out.

How hard are our cars to steal...I to have a T/A..concerned.

Rick
Old 02-23-2006, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

Default Hey check this out

My friends truck got stolen (he was from New Orleans) and they found it on the north side.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I work on the Southeast side. I ll keep an eye out for it
Old 02-23-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Well I would think that without a wrecker the vats would make it difficult to steal bc of the systems it disables. I have seen a few cars stolen that had an aftermaket autostart and they resistored the lock cylinder. Was there any glass on the ground. Just my curiousity at work here. But I guess as long as vats has been out the bad guys have found a way around it by now. Sorry to hear about your loss. We have picked up a few vehicles for the police that have been stolen and even though it is not your ride it makes you absolutely sick to the stomach to see someone's pride and joy destroyed.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Well I would think that without a wrecker the vats would make it difficult to steal bc of the systems it disables. I have seen a few cars stolen that had an aftermaket autostart and they resistored the lock cylinder. Was there any glass on the ground. Just my curiousity at work here. But I guess as long as vats has been out the bad guys have found a way around it by now. Sorry to hear about your loss. We have picked up a few vehicles for the police that have been stolen and even though it is not your ride it makes you absolutely sick to the stomach to see someone's pride and joy destroyed.
A girl here at the office had her Camaro SS stolen out of a gated apartment complex. She said they used a wrecker to steal it. They just took the wheels and all the SS stuff.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Regular

I was on my way to work this morning and I had seen a 98-02 black Ram Air T/A parked on the shoulder. It was heading south on the west loop just before Meyerland plaza. There was a car that had parked behind it and there was a wrecker that had just showed up. It was about 8:15am or so.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastflames
I was on my way to work this morning and I had seen a 98-02 black Ram Air T/A parked on the shoulder. It was heading south on the west loop just before Meyerland plaza. There was a car that had parked behind it and there was a wrecker that had just showed up. It was about 8:15am or so.
Thanks!!! Maybe I can call the police and see if they had the plate number for that one!!!

Also, they probably used a wrecker. There was no glass at all, the car was locked, and I have a Flowmaster catback and I would have heard it start. The wife and dog, too.

Bastards!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Launching!

wow sorry to hear for your loss, inviest in a high end alarm. My alarm has all the bells and whistles including air horns, multiple sirens and a tilt sensor. So if my car gets towed that tilt sensor will send a signal to the brain making the alarm go off.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CAMAROWITHBASS
wow sorry to hear for your loss, inviest in a high end alarm. My alarm has all the bells and whistles including air horns, multiple sirens and a tilt sensor. So if my car gets towed that tilt sensor will send a signal to the brain making the alarm go off.
Yeah, trust me - I'm thinking about it, plus LoJack. I'm going to get another Trans Am, so I'll need something (besides the .45 and 12 guage!)

Brian
Old 02-23-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

My buddies Trans Am was broken into here in MN and they didnt break any glass either.. This may make some of you sick, but really when there is no top frame on the door to house the top of the glass, all you have to do is pry back and there gets to be a fairily significant gap (if the window doesnt break) to unlock the damn doors!
Yes, it ***** the window track up, but they dont care. They stole his stereo, luckily not the car! This frame-less window design is on ALL of the F-bods, Corvettes, etc... I'm not real sure what we can do to prevent this type of problem!

Alarm system!? Helps w/ insurance too! Just a thought, but they cost $. If you've ever had to go through this ****, you'd see the cost of an Alarm system to be well worth it! Yes they can get by passed and so on, but they will go off for some time before they can disable them!

Hopefully they find your car buddy!
Old 02-23-2006, 01:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
Yeah, trust me - I'm thinking about it, plus LoJack. I'm going to get another Trans Am, so I'll need something (besides the .45 and 12 guage!)

Brian
lojack is ok i guess, its more popular in the west like in cali and such. The reason i say this is because lojack only gives out a few units that pick up the lojack signal to Police Dept, then if the police dept wants to get more then lojacks sells them more units. You would think lojack would just give them away but nah they sell them to the PD. So i guess if the PD doesnt want to buy none then your screwed.

Get an alarm, and just dont get it installed anywhere. Typical alarm installs go under the dash installed in the steering column. My installer took his time to do the alarms on both my cars, the brain is so well hidden that i found it by accident one time that i stripped my whole interior.

The alarm is only as good as the install, you can have a 1,000 alarm, and if the brain is under the dash by the steering column, then the theive is off with your car.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CAMAROWITHBASS
lojack is ok i guess, its more popular in the west like in cali and such. The reason i say this is because lojack only gives out a few units that pick up the lojack signal to Police Dept, then if the police dept wants to get more then lojacks sells them more units. You would think lojack would just give them away but nah they sell them to the PD. So i guess if the PD doesnt want to buy none then your screwed.

Get an alarm, and just dont get it installed anywhere. Typical alarm installs go under the dash installed in the steering column. My installer took his time to do the alarms on both my cars, the brain is so well hidden that i found it by accident one time that i stripped my whole interior.

The alarm is only as good as the install, you can have a 1,000 alarm, and if the brain is under the dash by the steering column, then the theive is off with your car.
Agreed! Good thought!
Old 02-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by marcus769
Alarm system!? Helps w/ insurance too! Just a thought, but they cost $. If you've ever had to go through this ****, you'd see the cost of an Alarm system to be well worth it! Yes they can get by passed and so on, but they will go off for some time before they can disable them!
true but its well worth it, like ive said its all in the install. Ive personally seen $99 Prestige alarms stop theives, becuase it was so well hidden and professionaly installed.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:59 PM
12 Second Club

One of my friends got his ram air stolen about 2 yrs ago... it was found wrecked on a neerby street that people used to race on so it was recovered but totaled. there were no signs of "forced entry" i guess is the term so the cops thought they got a key...

this is why i put a little card over my vin number between the dash and windshield. It is possible to make a key just knowing the vin number at a dealership I believe (if you know the right people of course)

Sorry to hear what happened, just sharing some info that might relate in some way
Old 02-23-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BigSteele
One of my friends got his ram air stolen about 2 yrs ago... it was found wrecked on a neerby street that people used to race on so it was recovered but totaled. there were no signs of "forced entry" i guess is the term so the cops thought they got a key...

this is why i put a little card over my vin number between the dash and windshield. It is possible to make a key just knowing the vin number at a dealership I believe (if you know the right people of course)

Sorry to hear what happened, just sharing some info that might relate in some way
That is a good point. I do work at a dealership, and yes, with a VIN number, you can make a key for any GM vehicle... They tried cracking down on this, so what i would do is try and contact GM, and see if your VIN number has been run for key codes.... This is def. a place to start!
Old 02-23-2006, 02:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by marcus769
That is a good point. I do work at a dealership, and yes, with a VIN number, you can make a key for any GM vehicle... They tried cracking down on this, so what i would do is try and contact GM, and see if your VIN number has been run for key codes.... This is def. a place to start!
Very interesting!! I never even thought of that. I'm on the phone now!
Old 02-23-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Viper and crimeguard both make a tracking system that is internet trackable and can only be used by the owner of the vehicle unless a access code is provided to law enforcement officials. I've always looked at wrecker drivers as mobile thieves. Even though we have wrecker service at the shop it is just limited to service use and accident retrieval. Good luck bro.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

fastflames I saw the same black TA this morning. When I went by no other car was around it and the windows were up and as far as memory serves because I rember trying to see in to see if there was some on in it the windows were very dark. But then I was on the other side of 610. As I was reading this I was thinking it may had been it until I read the dicription. But Basd200TA please check because I could be wrong.

And I really hope you get it back. I will keep my eyes open for it!

1998 BLUE/GREEN FORMULA
Pontiac Ram Air Hood
Borla Exhaust
Kenny Brown DD Sub Frames and Tower Brace
MTI Clear Lid
Green Performance Filter
Old 02-23-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

It's just imposible to have anything nice now and days. Too many low life punks out there. I know not everyone has control over it, but I would not own a nice car without a garage to put it in. Also I refused to ever park my car on a curb, even when visiting someone's house. Only time I ever parked the car somewhere, I knew I wasn't going to be inside a store for very long. Also, don't know if it actually helps, but a lot of times I parked somewhere, especially if it was close to a curb in a parking lot I would turn my wheel all the way and lock it there, with the tires turned...figured it would make it harder to tow. I was crazy like that when I had my car, it was my baby. There aren't too many things you can do to keep someone from towing your car except parking it in a location where they couldn't get to it. If you can't park in a garage, park in front of someone else or park stupid ( not straight) to at least make it harder for them.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope everything works out for you in the end.