TX license plate law??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TX license plate law??

Hey guys i just got pulled over last night for no front license plate. I had it on the dash but the SOB pig said it had to be mounted to the front bumper. I checked online under TXdps and it said that a vehicle requires 2 plates(back&front) but it also does say that mounting or placement is not defined. Has anyone been cited for this and how did it end up in court? I took pics of the car that it shows my front license plate after the cop left.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got pulled over the other day for expired inspection.. cop didn't say anything about not having a front plate.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Texas is a 2 plate State, but like you said it doesn't explain the mounting, just as long as you can see it from the front of the car. Did he write you a ticket?
Old 03-13-2006, 11:49 PM
Teching In

It says something along the lines of forward facing and being seen from 50 ft away. I got pulled over on thursday on the way back to lubbock and he said he didnt see my plate in the window, but once he saw it he was kewl with it. He ended up giving me a warning for my eyebrow tint being past the ASI line instead.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just talked to a friend of mine who is a peace officer and the said that the license plate is supposed to be on the most forward part of the car, which is the bumper. But he also said its open to interpretation and really up to the cop.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

When I got pulled over for no front plate I asked the dick head kid cop if I could mount it on the dash and he said no. He gave me the same crap about state law requires that you mount in on the bumper.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it has to be on the most forward part of the car, as stated already.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This is the texas law:

§ 502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE OR REGISTRATION INSIGNIA. (a) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, that have been:
(1) assigned by the department for the period; or
(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the period.
(b) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle, other than a vehicle assigned license plates for the registration period, that does not properly display the registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the license plates have been validated for the period.
(c) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a road tractor, motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer that does not display a license plate, attached to the rear of the vehicle, that has been:
(1) assigned by the department for the period; or
(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the period.
(d) Subsections (a) and (b) do not apply to a dealer operating a vehicle as provided by law.
(e) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
Many judges have upheld that the windshield is not "at the front". Even my plate location (see sig below) is questionable.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

That's BULL ****!!!
I just bought little suction cups with hooks on them so I could mount mine on the window (cause the state trooper said it was o.k.) and I have to say it looks ugly as sin mounted in the window. Hell, it looks like I'm trying to show the whole world my licence plate number. I might as well just take my grill off and put it back on the front bumper. At least then it wont look so out of place as it does on the windshield. Oh well...no use bitching over it....you'll just end up getting pulled over AGAIN like I have.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:32 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

There was another law I saw posted before stating the "front most part of the vehicle". Every cop I know agrees that putting the plate in your windshield isn't valid.

I just run without one and pay the tickets when I get them. Maybe 1 per year at $75 a pop. Its worth it not to look like crap.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
There was another law I saw posted before stating the "front most part of the vehicle". Every cop I know agrees that putting the plate in your windshield isn't valid.

I just run without one and pay the tickets when I get them. Maybe 1 per year at $75 a pop. Its worth it not to look like crap.
Yep. Has to be on the front most part of the vehicle. I don't have a plate on the front. If I get a ticket for it, so be it. If I do, I'm not going to post it up here and bitch and moan about it b/c I know it's illegal to run without one on the front. But most officers extend a "professional courtesy" to each other
Old 03-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

yeah stupid law, lol

ive never had my front plate on except for the first month i had the camaro.

i have never once gotten pulled over in the city for it. ive gotten one speeding ticket and the cop never said anything about the plates.

i got pulled over in castroville, tx twice for no front plates...but they just gave me a warning both times.....but castroville cops are **** as hell too.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get a ticket just pay it. It does not go on your driving record. So who who cares.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love austin, cops around here do not care about the front plate. I've never had one on any of my vehicles, and never been warned/cited for it when pulled over for other circumstances.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

The freakin law doesn't specifically state where in the front. Like I said before it says mounting and placement not defined. It seems like all their saying for it to display in both the front and rear. I ain't paying for no freaking ticket. I got a clear record and I'm also an insurance agent. Screw that I'll just get extensions if the judge don't dismiss it and maybe they'll eventually clear it.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

One less reason to pull me over, so I use them
Old 03-14-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Veteran

i have never been cited for it and i havent had one for like 4 years now. On various cars.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

So for those who haven't been cited I assume you have your front lp on the dash. This is BS for them to pull you over whenever they feel like it.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nine Ball

Word. That is exactly how I feel.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by alfm
This is BS for them to pull you over whenever they feel like it.
If you weren't breaking the law, you'd have nothing to worry about. They feel like pulling you over for it because they're usually looking for other things. It just gives them P/C to stop you and see if they can get lucky. If you don't want to get stopped, then put a front LP on your car, don't speed, wear you seatbelt, have legal window tint, obey traffic laws and make sure all of your lights are working. Then you won't have anything to complain about