homemade fireworks ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just order what you want over the internet. Just do what Vette said and your neighbors will love ya.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sparkler/butane bombs are teh ****
Old 06-30-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Veteran

I heard you can put chlorine powder mixed with brake fluid, and its an actuall bomb, but its probably very illegal to do that, so i wouldnt try it...
Old 06-30-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BP
Thermite and anything else is always good for a few thrills. Rusted brake lathe shavings and ground up aluminum (from porting cylinder heads for example) mixed together in the proper ratio will burn through anything. It burns so hot that the hydrogen and oxygen atoms in water seperate and explode.

Got a neighbor bugging you? Put a planter full of the stuff on the hood of their car and light it, it will burn through the hood, engine block and frame. Good for a prank!
damn bp, remind me not to **** you off.

lets tear something up saturday night.....
get an old block or something from the yard...
Old 06-30-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sparklers & bottles of butane=fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfYRKUBf5Eo
Old 06-30-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Tt

Originally Posted by Toxic Texan
Just order what you want over the internet. Just do what Vette said and your neighbors will love ya.
First Time I tried it my windows were broken. It sounded so loud it set off car alarms for a block. Neighbors called the cops on us. But not before I did the second one. I poured 1/2 LB of gun powder in the bottle first. No bigger boom but was so bright it looked like a nuke had went off. Wife said she would divorce me if I did it again. I had to quit... hahahahahaha
Old 06-30-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vette
First Time I tried it my windows were broken. It sounded so loud it set off car alarms for a block. Neighbors called the cops on us. But not before I did the second one. I poured 1/2 LB of gun powder in the bottle first. No bigger boom but was so bright it looked like a nuke had went off. Wife said she would divorce me if I did it again. I had to quit... hahahahahaha
excellent! now i just have to find a friend who will let me try it in THEIR yard
Old 06-30-2006, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Brando
ok take 2 packs of sparklers and put them all together.wrap them in electrical tape realy good and let one sparkler stick out of the top make sure you cover the top of the sparklers with tape but the tape cant touch the fuse sparkler.use lots of tape and run realy fast if it is all realy tight it should blow up big!!!!! oh and be carefull

no actually It just sends a tower of flames up in the air......been there done that....with about 500 sparklers duct taped together. We put it in a shopping cart to hold it.

lit it.....ran......it ignited.....plastic cart caught on fire.

I have a video of a smaller 150 count one around here somewhere. Ill try and host it for you guys...

(edit) just saw a video post with a 1000 count....seems as though there is not need for me to post the 500 count anymore.
Michael
Old 06-30-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NJoRQeuv1Q
I think I might try this.........
Old 06-30-2006, 02:46 PM
Launching!

i almost went to jail for sparkler bomb in the woodlands. and all the suggestions above are illegal *if* you get caught
Old 06-30-2006, 03:09 PM
BP
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mukyluk
i almost went to jail for sparkler bomb in the woodlands. and all the suggestions above are illegal *if* you get caught
Thermite is completely legal
Old 06-30-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mukyluk

didnt realise sparkler bombs were illegal, im have to pass on building one then... im on probation, theyd lock me up and throw away the key
Old 06-30-2006, 03:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BP
Thermite and anything else is always good for a few thrills. Rusted brake lathe shavings and ground up aluminum (from porting cylinder heads for example) mixed together in the proper ratio will burn through anything. It burns so hot that the hydrogen and oxygen atoms in water seperate and explode.

Got a neighbor bugging you? Put a planter full of the stuff on the hood of their car and light it, it will burn through the hood, engine block and frame. Good for a prank!
I need a bumper cover, driver headlight, grill and hood and hinges. Can you get that?
Old 06-30-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn rednecks!!!
I love this thread

Slayer - you in Boston or TX??? Let me know if you blow anything up!
Old 06-30-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

flash powder is byfar the best way to go

go to skylighter.com and buy 2#'s of german blackhead aluminum powder and 5#'s of potassium perchlorate along with a few yards of fuse and select some tubes with the proper end plugs they have a huge selection

once it arrives

1. take the potassium perchlorate and run it through a wire mesh strainer to take out any clumps

2. measure out 30% aluminum powder to 70% potassium perchlorate by weight (so if you want to make 100 grams of flash powder take 30 grams aluminum powder and 70 grams potassium perchlorate) and place it in a zip lock bag to mix it by kneeding it with your fingers

3. punch a hole in the side of one of the tubes and insert the fuse and seal with a glue gun

4. put on one plug and fill about 2/3 the way full with the flash powder you made

5. finally seal it with the other plug

i used tubes that where 1 1/4 in diameter and 3 in long and blew a tree thet was a foot in diameter clear out of the ground!!!!!!!!!

it will cost you about $100 but it is truely worth it and with about 6 2/3 #'s of flash powder it will make for lots of fun

p.s. you can also use copper pipe if you want a HUGE explosion instead of paper tubes

thanks
robbie
Old 06-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The1N_only
it makes a loud BOOM and a good size crater when you use 60+ sparklers

you felt the explosion in your chest 20 ft away
Someone has to post a vid of this.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by '02 SLP#686
Damn rednecks!!!
I love this thread

Slayer - you in Boston or TX??? Let me know if you blow anything up!
oh im living in TX now. i still have boston on there, cuz its my hometown... wish i was in Boston for independence day... fireworks at the esplinade and the boston symphony orchestra is something everyone needs to see!
Old 06-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Mentos and Diet Coke...if its still legal

In the Army we have these chemical MRE(Meals Ready To Eat) heaters. You crush the contents into a bottle of water and throw, good bang.

You can fill baloons with propane and shoot bottle rockets at them.

Old 06-30-2006, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

baking soda and vinegar does the same thing and most people have those two items lying around the house. Also I think you need to tape the cap of you advil bottle on and smash it with a hammer a little bit to compact the powder and you should get the bang your looking for. If you get whistling petes and smash them flat with a hammer and light them they also make a pretty big bang.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Your theory is wrong, the powder from those 8MM cases is smokeless powder, only burns correctly under high pressure alot more pressure than you were working with hence the unburned powder.

You could try black powder which is what is in fireworks. FFFFG(4FG) will work best for explosives/fireworks, it's fast burning requiring far less presssure. FFFG(3FG) will work also but doesn't burn as fast. PVC tubing capped on both ends with model rocket fuse as an ignitor will work. Be extremely carefull please you'll be making a pipe bomb but you will get the bang you are looking for. Also do not smoke while doing this, black powder will ignite without any pressure behind it meaning you can light it off with a bic lighter in open air.

round 2: i try the same thing except this time i empty the contents of five 8mm mauser cartriges into a small advil bottle. my theory is that there was too much air in the bottle for it to build up enough pressure to explode properly... does anyone have any idea on how to make a nice 'boom'?

Last edited by Brandon Boomhauer; 07-01-2006 at 10:46 AM. Reason: fixed quoted area

Quick Reply: homemade fireworks ideas?