homemade fireworks ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default homemade fireworks ideas?

now that i live in a state where fireworks are legal, i go to the fireworks stand with two things in mind: quartersticks and bottlerockets. i get informed that quartersticks are now illegal and the biggest things they sell are 'm-1000s', and they cant sell bottle rockets this year because of the burn ban.

i buy a couple boxes of m-1000's and go home to test them... they suck. wimpy wimpy wimpy. so i get some bright ideas to start experimenting... i try emptying a bunch of those little 1.5" firecrackers into a little pharmacy bottle, poking a hole in the cap, and putting an m-1000 in there as a primer with the fuse coming out the hole... much better than the m-1000 alone, but still not quite the *BOOM* i was hoping for...

round 2: i try the same thing except this time i empty the contents of five 8mm mauser cartriges into a small advil bottle. (that is a shitload of powder, btw). less noise than the last one, but this one jumped like 7 feet in the air. i pick up the bottle, and it just blew off the cap, and only like half the powder burned... the cap was still able to be screwed on, so i try it again, same result...

my theory is that there was too much air in the bottle for it to build up enough pressure to explode properly... does anyone have any idea on how to make a nice 'boom'?
Old 06-29-2006, 03:27 PM
BP
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dry ice, water and 20 ounce Coke bottles make a nice little pop
Old 06-29-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Matt I hope you don't live close to me...I don't want my place on fire or going BOOM lol.....and btw fireworks are illegal in the city mister!

Dry Ice and Coke Bottles lol...that'll lift a 50 pound bag of dirt into the air and bust right through the bag...hehe
Old 06-29-2006, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

HCL and tin foil in a 2 liter bottle makes a big boom. Granulated chloine and granulated bromine mixed in = parts add water and stand back.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

Muratic acid is the easyest way to find HCL in the strenth u will need. Poor it in the bottle then roll up tin foil drop it in skrew on cap shake it up and throw very far away from your self.

Thomas
Old 06-29-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Yes I can tell you how

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
now that i live in a state where fireworks are legal, i go to the fireworks stand with two things in mind: quartersticks and bottlerockets. i get informed that quartersticks are now illegal and the biggest things they sell are 'm-1000s', and they cant sell bottle rockets this year because of the burn ban.

i buy a couple boxes of m-1000's and go home to test them... they suck. wimpy wimpy wimpy. so i get some bright ideas to start experimenting... i try emptying a bunch of those little 1.5" firecrackers into a little pharmacy bottle, poking a hole in the cap, and putting an m-1000 in there as a primer with the fuse coming out the hole... much better than the m-1000 alone, but still not quite the *BOOM* i was hoping for...

round 2: i try the same thing except this time i empty the contents of five 8mm mauser cartriges into a small advil bottle. (that is a shitload of powder, btw). less noise than the last one, but this one jumped like 7 feet in the air. i pick up the bottle, and it just blew off the cap, and only like half the powder burned... the cap was still able to be screwed on, so i try it again, same result...

my theory is that there was too much air in the bottle for it to build up enough pressure to explode properly... does anyone have any idea on how to make a nice 'boom'?
Take an acetlyne welder (gas) Light the torch and make it burn nicely. When you have adjusted good take a board (2x4) and stick the tip down on the board and snuff out the flame. This leaves the correct mixture of gas coming out of the torch. Take a one gallon milk jug and stick the torch inside the top.
Let it fill until the gas fumes come out the top. Put the cap back on (screw type is better) Punch a hole in the top of the neck and insert firecracker half way into jug. Hang a long piece of paper from the fuse. Light the bottom end away from the fuse and run like hell. Do this away from windows also. It will shatter windows...BE CAREFULL THIS WILL BLOW YOUR EAR DRUMS
Old 06-29-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by downshift_me
Matt I hope you don't live close to me...I don't want my place on fire or going BOOM lol.....and btw fireworks are illegal in the city mister!

Dry Ice and Coke Bottles lol...that'll lift a 50 pound bag of dirt into the air and bust right through the bag...hehe
we used a 2 liter coke bottle and dry ice.... be sure to crush the dry ice very fine and fill the bottle about 2 inches high...then fill it up with water screw the cap all the way down and run your *** off it would be a good idea to hide behind something because there is a chance that the cap might come straight at you and it wont be good.... but I would not recommend this....its way louder than a 12gauge shot
Old 06-29-2006, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

take crystal drano some aluminium foil ***** and a coke bottle and some vinegar i belive put it in the bottle tighten cap and shake throw and run....

Also you could get a rifle and a full propain bottle gett a thousand yards away and shoot...
Old 06-29-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1LSWON
Muratic acid is the easyest way to find HCL in the strenth u will need. Poor it in the bottle then roll up tin foil drop it in skrew on cap shake it up and throw very far away from your self.

Thomas
where can muratic be bought? and by 'tin foil' do you mean ordinary aluminum foil? or does it to be actual tin?
Old 06-29-2006, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
where can muratic be bought? and by 'tin foil' do you mean ordinary aluminum foil? or does it to be actual tin?
You can buy it at pool stores it is the acid ppl add to there swiming pools. yes reg alum foil is what i was talking about.

Thomas

Ps it is really cool because it is actually an imposion very cool
Old 06-29-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by downshift_me
city? what city? i'm not doing this in the city... don't be silly...
Old 06-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Buy some gunpowder and have fun with it, youll figure something out . Or google will figure it out for you.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

ok take 2 packs of sparklers and put them all together.wrap them in electrical tape realy good and let one sparkler stick out of the top make sure you cover the top of the sparklers with tape but the tape cant touch the fuse sparkler.use lots of tape and run realy fast if it is all realy tight it should blow up big!!!!! oh and be carefull
Old 06-29-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get one of those "mintue long smokers" cut it open save the fuse cuz they are long and youll need it. Start emptying m1000's into it.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Brando
ok take 2 packs of sparklers and put them all together.wrap them in electrical tape realy good and let one sparkler stick out of the top make sure you cover the top of the sparklers with tape but the tape cant touch the fuse sparkler.use lots of tape and run realy fast if it is all realy tight it should blow up big!!!!! oh and be carefull
we have done this before, be carefull this **** is louder than a shotgun blast and can probably take your arm off, but have fun
Old 06-29-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

We will not be Celebrating the 4th of July at my meet 2night now will we Matt?
Old 06-29-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it makes a loud BOOM and a good size crater when you use 60+ sparklers

you felt the explosion in your chest 20 ft away
Old 06-30-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

Oh I have to try this!

B
Old 06-30-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BP
Dry ice, water and 20 ounce Coke bottles make a nice little pop

we used to have so much fun with that combo
Old 06-30-2006, 10:53 AM
BP
TECH Enthusiast

Thermite and anything else is always good for a few thrills. Rusted brake lathe shavings and ground up aluminum (from porting cylinder heads for example) mixed together in the proper ratio will burn through anything. It burns so hot that the hydrogen and oxygen atoms in water seperate and explode.

Got a neighbor bugging you? Put a planter full of the stuff on the hood of their car and light it, it will burn through the hood, engine block and frame. Good for a prank!

Quick Reply: homemade fireworks ideas?