how much power can fully built th350 hold??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Worm Boy
Rossler makes killer transmissions. I would put a glide in your car being that it only wieghs 2800lbs. If you get a rossler glide, you will be able to race all season long with out hurting it and just send it back to him at the end of the year to freshen it up. Let me know and I can call Carl for you.
Sounds like thats the one you need!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sc300
yeah i dont want to break it before our race....and i dont think ill have enough time to dial in the powerglide...

what are you guys using for trannies if you dont mind me asking???
I use a Dedenbear cased, fully rollerized Powerglide. Just under $5K. Built by Ronnie at Century Automotive. I have had zero issues with it in 2 years (only about 20 passes though) leaving the line with over 1000 lb/ft of torque. CONSISTENT 1.24 to 1.25 sixty foots.

Duy, remember converter choice is essential! Which converters do the Supra guys like to use?
Old 09-12-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mike TexaSS
The powerband will dictate weather you need a 3 speed or a 2 speed. If you've got a really broad powerband a powerglide will work just fine but if it's peaky, which I'd have to imagine a small engine with a big turbo would be, a Th-350 or Th-400 would be a better choice.

How much does your car weigh Duy?

How are you determining this? On an engine dyno?

Regardless if it's peaky or broad, the right torque converter will make either one work.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

i have a modified PI conveter...its the same one that im using in my supra...its holding with my current power level so far....and i drive it (supra) all over town without any problem..

im planning to go with Neil chance when i switch over to the powerglide, but they need to modifiy something to make it fit with the supra flexplate and bellhousing...

damn..i wish we could do 1.2x 60'..**** ill be very happy if we can even do high 1.3x...hopefully we can do that on Oct 22...

thanks for the help guys..im going to see how this th350 hold up while i get the PG ready....
Old 09-13-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1 Bad Z
How are you determining this? On an engine dyno?

Regardless if it's peaky or broad, the right torque converter will make either one work.
A chassis dyno and any simple transmission gear calculator would do.

The reason a 3 speed does well with peaky powerbands is because it keeps the engine in the power band as it goes down the track. Cars that make big power everywhere don't need that, so a glide works better.

It's the reason why the 500 CI NHRA Pro-Stock cars use 5-Speed transmissions and the 815 CI IHRA Pro-Stock cars use 4-Speed transmissions. The NHRA stuff has a much smaller power band, so it uses the extra gear in the transmission to keep the engine where it makes it's best average power.

Quick Reply: how much power can fully built th350 hold??