Emissions Testing In Progress Van

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ we need a group purchase I've seen one on denton hwy/820 on ramp a few times
Old 09-28-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I give it gas when I go through them... Or used to when I had the T/A 408 with 3" duals, no emmissions (like everyone else) etc. I'm sure it through off some codes, and I never got a letter or anything.

Hell I'd slow down and rev it around them just to **** with it.
yah, im a little off beat.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dubs6
Well my car is dumped, no cats, 236/230 so I wasnt taking my chances. I was told the same thing about them using infrared sensors. I killed mine though and never got a letter or anything so who knows. The van was off I35 in North lewisville. Not a bad area at all.
Yeah with out a doubt not a bad area. But the area is so busy it wouldnt surprise me that there because of that. I live in flower mound and have never seen a van around this area. But i guess they are starting to crack down on this more often.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

I see that POS van parked all the time at 59N and West Airport. I never knew about the camera part. Thanks for the heads up.

J
Old 09-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Teching In

So do they always have those lines of orange cones around them like in the picture LOL
Old 09-28-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Steal the plates off the van, put them on your open headers LSx car, double the PE table, then go WOT past them.

Didn't some kids do this to a speeding camera somewhere? The county recieved a **** load of tickets? Seemed like I read this somewhere.
yea i remember reading that too. i think it was somewhere in europe.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Launching!

ive seen them in houston plenty of times set up on 290 when i wasnt emissions legal, maybe the out of state plates helped out on that cause......... they take shots of the front plate or the rear plate?

they can dispatch some one to nebraska if they like, although the car wont be there

Last edited by mattr228; 09-28-2006 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Curveball TECH

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Steal the plates off the van, put them on your open headers LSx car, double the PE table, then go WOT past them.

Didn't some kids do this to a speeding camera somewhere? The county recieved a **** load of tickets? Seemed like I read this somewhere.

lmao

This thread was the first time I've heard of these. Thanks for the heads up
Old 09-29-2006, 09:32 AM
Mustang Moderator

Next time I see one I plan on calling the pigs and letting them know there is a terrorist on the side of the freeway in a white van
Old 09-29-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but for real... the last i checked, the Bill of Rights, amendement 4 states:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. "

i HIGHLY doubt that a emissions van qualifies as probable cause, because if the police just pulled over random cars without reason and performed searches looking for illegal things, there would be public outrage. an emissions van is even worse than police officers doing it themselves... it is flat out orwellian in nature.

as a new voter in TX this year, i fully plan on talking to my representitive about this BS.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I know san antonio does not have emmisions testing but I have seen one of those a couple of times in the last year at the I-10 410 interchange and one on 281 N by san pedro. At least I was in truck did not have a clue what it was.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
but for real... the last i checked, the Bill of Rights, amendement 4 states:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. "

i HIGHLY doubt that a emissions van qualifies as probable cause, because if the police just pulled over random cars without reason and performed searches looking for illegal things, there would be public outrage. an emissions van is even worse than police officers doing it themselves... it is flat out orwellian in nature.

as a new voter in TX this year, i fully plan on talking to my representitive about this BS.
Good luck with that.

But that is not considered illegal search and seizure. They won't cart you off to jail because you didn't pass their "emissions road test". All that will happen is that you might not be able to renew your registration. But you can do what a lot of poeple do in this state. Don't do emissions and vehicle renewal. I'm sure you won't write your congressman about people stealing from the state by not paying for their respective vehicles!

You gonna call the ACLU next? Now there's a waste of tax payers dollars.

Why are people so against doing what is "the law" by emission testing, speeding, double parking, not keeping right unless to pass.....get my point?

Who are we to choose what laws to obey and dis-obey?
Old 10-02-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

they had one at the on ramp to highway 59 that i passed by several times a day and nothing..

408 no mufflers, no cats, cruised by at normal speeds in gear.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Splitz
Why are people so against doing what is "the law" by emission testing, speeding, double parking, not keeping right unless to pass.....get my point?

Who are we to choose what laws to obey and dis-obey?
you are right, we cannot choose what laws to obey and dis-obey, but we can talk to our law makers about changing the law. that is democracy.

this is the same discussion as the one about whether or not to let a cop search your car without probable cause when pulled over for a traffic stop. some people say 'well if you have nothing to hide, just let them do it so you can get it over with and go about your business'. well if the cops went door to door searching people's houses without probably cause... well i dont think you'd like that too much, even if you have nothing to hide. its just a violation of your privacy.

testing your vehicle's emissions without your consent is a search without probably cause or a warrant, and thus is also not right.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well if the cops went door to door searching people's houses without probably cause...
No offense, but you mean "probable" cause .

testing your vehicle's emissions without your consent is a search without probably cause or a warrant, and thus is also not right.
Searching your car's gas fumes? LOL, come on...

I don't like it, but IMO, cleaning up the environment is a good thing. Houston and Dallas are some of of smoggiest cities in the US. With that in mind, I'd like to see heavier penalties on Hummers, other big SUVs, and cars of that nature. Our laws are pretty lax...get a 25year old car and run whatever you want. No emissions, no nothing .

Ryan
Old 10-03-2006, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DSIM
They test your emission output, if you fail they take a picture and mail you something that tells you to get your **** fixed by someone certified by the state. I went by one off of 183 in my camaro with the cut out open.... just pushed the clutch in and idled by it.... no letter for me. They try to get you when you are accelerating, putting out the most emissions possible, if you are at idle.... not so much pollution coming out.
true this is why they set up on the on ramps because the vehicle is under load to get on the freeway this is when the most emmisions are coming out of the tailpipe!
Old 10-03-2006, 06:46 PM
01z
TECH Regular

ive never seen one, i have no cats or mufflers. i guess i will watch out for em
Old 10-04-2006, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96-speed
No offense, but you mean "probable" cause .

I don't like it, but IMO, cleaning up the environment is a good thing.
ok captain grammar, this is a car forum, not a spelling bee

yes, i'm all for protecting the environment... but there is a right way and a wrong way for the gov't to enforce it. there has to be a happy medium between enforement of laws and protecting people right to privacy and whatnot. no one will ever agree... not the people, not the gov't.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok captain grammar, this is a car forum, not a spelling bee
I don't usually point mispelled words out (people get pissed), but in this case I was trying to help you say what you were trying to say . Again, no offense meant.

yes, i'm all for protecting the environment... but there is a right way and a wrong way for the gov't to enforce it. there has to be a happy medium between enforement of laws and protecting people right to privacy and whatnot. no one will ever agree... not the people, not the gov't.
How else can the governement enforce it? Driving is a priveledge, not a God given right. I don't mind having to keep the cats and have roadside testing if that means people that the H2s penalized as well. But, they don't. They aren't up to the same standards because there gross weight moves them into another class, even though most are used for hauling the groceries and kids.

That brings us to another issue: Would it be right for the governement to restrict usage of larger vehicles (like Hummers and Diesel trucks) to work/commerical duty in order to cut down pollution? While I hate seeing all these posers with 4wd Diesels driving around by themselves, calling it a "tow vehcile" (even though its never come close to towing its full capacity), I don't think government should tell me how to use my own car or what I can or cannot drive.

The efficiency of LSx and the support form the aftermarket and GM will allow LSx'ers to make insane power and still be within emission requirements.

But, yeah, those white vans make me nervous. V for Vendetta is a good movie about the premise of this subject.
Ryan
Old 10-04-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96-speed
How else can the governement enforce it? Driving is a priveledge, not a God given right.
thats why there is already an annual inspection. i doubt that the gov't knows that OBD-II cars can cheat by deleting the codes for emissions stuff. i'm fine with annual inspections, but random testing sounds like essentially they are doing year round testing.

That brings us to another issue: Would it be right for the governement to restrict usage of larger vehicles (like Hummers and Diesel trucks) to work/commerical duty in order to cut down pollution? While I hate seeing all these posers with 4wd Diesels driving around by themselves, calling it a "tow vehcile" (even though its never come close to towing its full capacity), I don't think government should tell me how to use my own car or what I can or cannot drive.
i dont think they should restrict what you can drive (beyond what is defined as CDL), but i do think that higher GVW vehicles that are currently exempt should be held to EPA standards. for example, my roomate has a F-250 diesel truck... it has no EPA estimate on it. and while it does have what i belive to be a cat on it, it does not get emissions tested at the annual inspection. and i dont think work trucks should be exempt from emissions... just because you need it to do a job doesnt mean you are allowed to not have your vehicle working correctly.

if GM can make a 500HP corvette that meets EPA emissions requirements and avoids a gas guzzler tax, then tehre is no reason a high HP or torque work truck cant meet the requirements and be emissions compliant.