Emissions Testing In Progress Van

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions Testing In Progress Van

Anyone without cats went though one of those "emissions testing in progress" on the side of the road? A white van with some emissions equipment and what looks to be a camera sit on the on and off ramps. Usually you can just see him and take the next on ramp but sometimes you cant see him until its too late.

Im just curious if anyone has gone though and what happened?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:12 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

you guys have those in DFW too huh?

Comically, they are usually placed at entrance ramps around Houston where very low income neighborhoods are nearby. I'm guessing they think most broke people drive jalopy cars that smoke a lot? I've never seen them in areas with more affluent residents.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

I just killed the motor and rolled over it b/c it was too late. Started it back up after I passed it.

Me: "Hmmm... wonder what that van is doing? OH S@#$!!!!"
Old 09-28-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

They test your emission output, if you fail they take a picture and mail you something that tells you to get your **** fixed by someone certified by the state. I went by one off of 183 in my camaro with the cut out open.... just pushed the clutch in and idled by it.... no letter for me. They try to get you when you are accelerating, putting out the most emissions possible, if you are at idle.... not so much pollution coming out.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Junkie

I do the Shut down run FTEV
Old 09-28-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang, I've never heard or seen any of these.. How can they be accurate enough to nail someone with poor emissions? What if its a windy day out?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nine Ball

Comically, they are usually placed at entrance ramps around Houston where very low income neighborhoods are nearby. I'm guessing they think most broke people drive jalopy cars that smoke a lot? I've never seen them in areas with more affluent residents.

They usually have them setup out in the ft worth area but recently theyve had them in north dallas which is the good side of dallas.

Good to know though, Ill just turn the engine off and roll through.

I though about getting one of those stealth kits for the license plate but they want 300 bones for it.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:03 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

someone told me once that they can sense if you turn the engine off. I believe it takes an infrared snapshot of the vehicle, and they can see if heat is coming out of the tailpipe or not. So, killing the engine might throw a red flag up. Probably should just coast thru in neutral or with the clutch pushed in.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

Well my car is dumped, no cats, 236/230 so I wasnt taking my chances. I was told the same thing about them using infrared sensors. I killed mine though and never got a letter or anything so who knows. The van was off I35 in North lewisville. Not a bad area at all.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

Ive been through probably 2-3 of those in Houston, I just quickly turn off the engine and coast through. Its worked for me apparently

anybody who trys this, remember to turn the key back forward so you can steer but you wont have power steering!
Old 09-28-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nine Ball

i dont think they just place them in low income areas...most days of the week they have one on the entrance ramp right of 45 infront of the woodlands mall
Old 09-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Teching In

I've never heard of this and luckily haven't passed one yet, but I found this from here:http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/implemen...forcement.html

Targeted On-Road Testing (Remote Sensing)

On-road testing is used to target high-emitting vehicles commuting from adjacent ozone nonattainment counties. Targeted motorists are required to have their vehicle tested within 30 days of notification. The van-installed on-road testing equipment is strategically placed to capture auto emissions from single-lane traffic in an acceleration mode and is used in densely populated areas. On-road testing will also be used as a program validation tool to test vehicles exiting from test and repair sites.
Vehicles targeted by the on-road testing program that do not pass the required emission test also may not be eligible for vehicle registration renewal.

Wonder if single lane traffic includes the HOV lane :O. Guess I'll be watching for vans on entrance ramps...
Old 09-28-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i used to get on it in my old cammed 78 Formula with the dumps, but i was safety only. i bet they had alarms and lights going off when i went by in that hoe though. gotta be careful now, i have avoided a few here lately in DFW on 183. havent seen any in WF though, i guess its not populated near DFW so thats why i guess.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:00 PM
That's what she said...

Steal the plates off the van, put them on your open headers LSx car, double the PE table, then go WOT past them.

Didn't some kids do this to a speeding camera somewhere? The county recieved a **** load of tickets? Seemed like I read this somewhere.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Steal the plates off the van, put them on your open headers LSx car, double the PE table, then go WOT past them.

Didn't some kids do this to a speeding camera somewhere? The county recieved a **** load of tickets? Seemed like I read this somewhere.
that is awesome, would suck to get caught though...
Old 09-28-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I flew through one twice with no cats, long tubes, and a pretty healthy cam (By LT1 standards...235/244 .600) a few years ago. Stabbed the clutch and held my breath. Haven't gotten bitten, yet...

Here's a crappy pic (camera phone FTW) I took a while back of the setup:

This is the Northbound entrance of 288, just north of the Beltway 8 intersection.

Ryan
Old 09-28-2006, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

or do a big burnout through it so theres smoke covering the plate in the picture, that sounds like a winner
Old 09-28-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

I see them frequently, because they seem to think highway 288 is a good place to catch people. 288@518 in the mornings and 288@610 in the evenings.

-Mike
Old 09-28-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just click the key back one click so the PCM powers down, but steering doesn't lock up. Don't shift into neutral or push in the clutch -- the motor will stay spinning. It'll continue to pump air, but there will be no fuel. Once on the other side, click the key forward and keep on drivin'

Make sure you're going fast enough so you don't slow too much while doing it though. I usually left a nice gap in front of me, sped up quite a bit, click the key back, roll through, click it back on and away I go. With the engine spinning you basically go from normal emissions to pumping pure air in about 2 seconds.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it might be a gaff, but i think this stuff is at least worth a shot:
http://www.photoblocker.com/www/photoblocker.html