any Corvette electrical experts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006 | 02:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default any Corvette electrical experts?

I need someone to solve the electrical gremlins on my 2002 Z06. Right now, Im pretty close to setting the car on fire.

Car keeps going into reduced engine power whenever you touch the gas. Alternator is also having issues keeping the car charged.

I know performance shops have good all around knowledge but they have other stuff to work on. Im willing to pay a premium to find someone that can solve this problem before I off myself.

Old 11-08-2006 | 07:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

BTW, is anyone here a tech at a Chevy dealership. Several people have suggested taking the car to a dealer for the electrical issues but I dont trust just some random dealer.
Old 11-08-2006 | 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kumar75150
BTW, is anyone here a tech at a Chevy dealership. Several people have suggested taking the car to a dealer for the electrical issues but I dont trust just some random dealer.
My brother has always solved any wiring issues ive had...traced bad harness to faulty previous installers faults...

If you can get him a schmatic of the car, Im sure he could knock it out. How long, depends on how long it takes him. You know its a difficult situation or you wouldnt be asking for help. Just an option if you want to go that route. He deals with lots of wiring on daily basis for all types of cars.
Old 11-08-2006 | 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Kumar, there are a number of grounding harnesses all over the vehicle that are prone to corrosion and this is a usual source for electrical problems (though not always the case). What you would need to do is remove the harnesses, clean off the contacts, apply some dielectric grease to the contacts, reattach the harnesses. It really doesn't take too long, but some of them can be a pain to get to. I had issues with a few of mine, and once I did as suggested above, everything has been great for a few thousand miles.

There is one on each side of the frame, right behind the headlamp assembly, one on each side of the vehicle right behind the door sill kick panels. I had an issue with the power harness on my passenger side door, went ahead and did that bastard. Here is a link that may help:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=896875

Lots of vette owners with electrical problems on that forum, search up and you'll find some useful answers!
Old 11-08-2006 | 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

the reduced engine power is a programing issue in your tune. i would look there first i have had this happen a million times.the alternator thing could be a number of things.i would go over all of the conections first and see if any are loose.have you changed the alternator out yet.
Old 11-08-2006 | 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by txhorns281
Kumar, there are a number of grounding harnesses all over the vehicle that are prone to corrosion and this is a usual source for electrical problems (though not always the case). What you would need to do is remove the harnesses, clean off the contacts, apply some dielectric grease to the contacts, reattach the harnesses. It really doesn't take too long, but some of them can be a pain to get to. I had issues with a few of mine, and once I did as suggested above, everything has been great for a few thousand miles.

There is one on each side of the frame, right behind the headlamp assembly, one on each side of the vehicle right behind the door sill kick panels. I had an issue with the power harness on my passenger side door, went ahead and did that bastard. Here is a link that may help:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=896875

Lots of vette owners with electrical problems on that forum, search up and you'll find some useful answers!
Im pretty sure the problem lies in one of these areas since the car has been sitting around for 17 months now. The thing is that I dont have the time or the knowhow to look over these problems and most "performance shops" dont either. i guess Im looking for more of an electrical mechanic more than anything else.
Old 11-08-2006 | 08:37 AM
Banned

Is the car throwing any codes? If so, which ones?
Old 11-08-2006 | 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im sure its throwing tons of codes. The car is at the shop right now. Im going to go look at it Friday and write down the codes and all the symptoms I see in person. It has to be something in the throttle control module + grounding problems somewhere along the way.
Old 11-08-2006 | 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

That car is a mess. You almost need the crack-head that was wiring it initially to look at it. When you wire grounds with red wire...you have problems.

Your reduced engine power is b/c there is no MAF/IAT.
Old 11-08-2006 | 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by turbo'd stang
That car is a mess. You almost need the crack-head that was wiring it initially to look at it. When you wire grounds with red wire...you have problems.

Your reduced engine power is b/c there is no MAF/IAT.
I can give you the name of that crackhead.

I need someone to go over the whole electrical system pretty much or **** like this is going to keep on coming up.
Old 11-08-2006 | 09:39 AM
BP
TECH Enthusiast

Hutto's brother sounds like a good choice. I'm sure in his line of business he's seen some basket cases.
Old 11-08-2006 | 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ya I might have to contact him. I gotta talk to Daniel and see what he says.
Old 11-08-2006 | 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BP
Hutto's brother sounds like a good choice. I'm sure in his line of business he's seen some basket cases.
Believe me...He and I both have...Exactly why I dont deal with those headaches and let him wire all my major stuff up. It works right the first time every time.
Old 11-08-2006 | 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pull the battery and see if it is leaking on the PCM.
Thats a very common Vette problem.
Old 11-08-2006 | 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RedLT4Mike
Amatuer post...
Old 11-08-2006 | 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kumar75150
Im sure its throwing tons of codes. The car is at the shop right now. Im going to go look at it Friday and write down the codes and all the symptoms I see in person. It has to be something in the throttle control module + grounding problems somewhere along the way.
Cycle through the Diagnostic codes on your DIC, if you have a bunch of chassis codes, BCM codes, and such, then mostly it's a grounding issue. What happens is the ground shorts somewhere and it disrupts every damn electrical device on the car and kicks back B (BCM),C (Chassis), and U (PCM Network) type codes. Other warnings might pop up like TRAC SYSTEM INACTIVE or SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING. When your vehicle goes into REP, does it totally dive or does it still run relatively well?

Now, if it's as turbo'd stang is saying, and you are running MAFless, that could also be an issue. I believe to run SD on the newer C5s you need to keep the MAF so that the IAT can still pull readings, you can still force SD operation within the tune, and not physically take the MAF off.

Now if you've had custom wiring done for the motor build and such, all bets are off! Get a multi-display tester and pray for an easy one!
Old 11-08-2006 | 02:59 PM
BP
TECH Enthusiast

His car was Fas****ed for quite a while, I'm sure it's not something that simple.

However is it possible that someone put the wrong ECM in the car?
Old 11-08-2006 | 03:12 PM
Banned

Yeah, you might also check the fluid level of the PCM
Old 11-08-2006 | 03:18 PM
Banned

His PCM may be going into limp mode for some reason, possibly bad grounds.

Theres a host a reasons why, but I would start by identifying the codes its throwing and go from there...
Old 11-09-2006 | 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

well it seems like the key code to follow is B2284 which is a LDCM code relating to the battery #2 circuit.

It either has to do with the charging system or a ground being corroded.

I found a lot of info about the code here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ighlight=B2284