What to do?? Ever done anything this dumb??

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006 | 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

Default What to do?? Ever done anything this dumb??

Last night, I replaced my hazard switch and installed a Raptor shift light. To wire up the tach wire you have to remove the front tire and remove the passenger fr. fender well. I go everything wired up, tested the light, and threw everything back together.

I get ready to leave and all of a sudden my shift light doesn't work. Since I used a quick clip to splice into the tach wire, I am thinking I may have crimped it a little too good. The light comes on when I power up the car, so I am thinking it is just the tach wire.

I leave work a little early and start to tear apart my car as soon as I walk into the door.

I immediately started to think that I don't remember removing my lug nut lock from my wheel. Sure shittin' enough, I can't find that damn thing any where. I have been walking up and down the neighborhood for the last hour with a flash light...........no such luck.

What the hell do I do now?? I don't have a key number to order another one that will fit them. I have had wheel locks on every car I have ever owned and never have done anything this stupid. I have broken a few but was able to order new one.

Where do I go from here guys?? Are they going to need to be cut off or is there some way to get them off??

Thanks in advance.

J.R. Thomas
Old 11-13-2006 | 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

i got my locking nuts removed at NTB for free. took them 5 minutes maybe. any tire shop can remove them. They were even able to save the locking nuts...even though they were stripped (which is why i couldnt get them off in the first place).
Old 11-13-2006 | 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

come to discount tire, we can break em off and put on some new ones if ya want
Old 11-13-2006 | 10:01 PM
On The Tree

ha i havnt done anything quite like that, i did leave a short socket extension somewhere up in my wheel well and when i pulled outta my driveway i heard a clunk and seen it go flying. than found it with the lawn mower

people i work with have left the wheel locks on the lug nuts and put the cents caps back on befor.
Old 11-13-2006 | 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

did that already. my friend at a tire shop took them off for me. i thought they were going to brake my stud but he took it off without a struggle as if he was taking off one of the regular nuts.
Old 11-13-2006 | 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

Damn, I was worried this was going to be a major pain in my ***.

Thanks guys!!!

J.R.
Old 11-13-2006 | 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

get a socket that is a little smaller and hammer it on and take it off. simple as that
Old 11-13-2006 | 11:53 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

I did the same thing adjusting the ride hight on the front QA1s. I would lower it some and drive around the complex to let the suspension return to normal after jacking it up between adjustments. So I`m rolling back to my parking spot and see someones lug nut sitting in the middle of the parking lot. I get out to check it out and it`s my key for the locking lugs. I got lucky on that one. I`ve took a chissle and hammer and made a notch in the lock and then put the chissle back in the notch and hammer counter colckwise untill I break it loose.
Old 11-13-2006 | 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can go to sears and buy the socket that we use at work (discount tire). Hammer it over the lock and rip if off with the impact.
Old 11-14-2006 | 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nickdotcom
come to discount tire, we can break em off and put on some new ones if ya want
i like the way you think, i would say bring it to my Discount Tire but im in college station
Old 11-14-2006 | 02:33 AM
On The Tree

you can do it yourself. Get a socket that is slightly bigger than the lock, LIGHTLY tap it on and they come right off like a regular lug. Then go buy yourself a new set.
Old 11-14-2006 | 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

if they are the stock wheel locks, the dealership carries a full set. even if you dont know the number, there arent a whole heck of a lot of them... they just try them all until they find one that fits, then can order you a new key.
Old 11-14-2006 | 08:39 AM
Staging Lane

freon and a hammer (dont miss)