Jeep srt-8 vs. ss trailblazer

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep srt-8 vs. ss trailblazer

I know most of yall will be biased to the ss cause the motor but compare away. Seems the srt-8 has a much nicer inside. I dont know the weight comparison but I assume the str-8 is faster stock with the 25 more hp and better tranny. But I know mods are proly much cheaper and easier with the ss. Also, I think gas miliage in the ss is better. Same city but you get like 20 mpg on the highway compared to the srt-8s 15. Let me know what yall think
Old 12-07-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SS handsdown just cause it has the right motor in it. j/k havent heard much about the Jeep. whats the difference in price? what tranny is in the jeep? ss has 4L60E right?
Old 12-07-2006, 10:56 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

If you are leaving both stock, the Jeep is quicker.
The LS2 has way more aftermarket potential.
The TBSS gets a little better mileage
The TBSS is also $15-20K cheaper
The TBSS can actually tow, the Jeep can't.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

didnt think about aftermarket stuff that the jeep would be lacking greatly in. the way Nine Ball puts it i see the Ss comming way out top. just me though
Old 12-07-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Buddy of mine has a black turbocharger Trailblazer SS that dyno 600 to the wheels. Thats one bad mofu.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

the jeep does have a way nicer interior i was impresed compared to the ss but i cant get away from the outward apearnce of the ss i love em...
Old 12-07-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I love my Trailblazer SS. I wouldn't trade it for the SRT-8. The TB SS is supposed to be much nicer as a daily driver.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

I know its not a Jeep srt, but I have a 2006 jeep grand cherokee and I am already looking to get rid of it....(should have never bought the thing). I think you should go with the TB SS, they are BAD and much more of a quality made car! Good luck!
Old 12-07-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

i would go with tbss based on what nineball said and also the fact that they would be more of a sleeper...there were no commercials that i know of for them, and the srt-8 had them all over the place for awhile. and the aftermarket potential alone would be enough to buy the tbss
Old 12-07-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pennys58
I know its not a Jeep srt, but I have a 2006 jeep grand cherokee and I am already looking to get rid of it....(should have never bought the thing). I think you should go with the TB SS, they are BAD and much more of a quality made car! Good luck!
how is it more of a quality car? The jeep is way more quility on the inside. And also ninie ball i know the jeep is more but only by 6-10k.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hemi valvetrain = crap..
We talked with a guy in So Cali who supposedly has Paxton bolted up to his SRT8. He says the first time it hit the dyno, 3 rockers snapped and grenaded the engine...
Old 12-07-2006, 01:10 PM
10-Second Club

I wouldn't buy it for the sole reason that Jeeps are Dodges now. But having a LSx engine would really be a good reason to buy it. It's a tried & true engine platform that's easy to work on if you plan on keeping/modding the car.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Modsquad
I wouldn't buy it for the sole reason that Jeeps are Dodges now. But having a LSx engine would really be a good reason to buy it. It's a tried & true engine platform that's easy to work on if you plan on keeping/modding the car.
whats wrong with dodge?
Old 12-07-2006, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Default srt8

This is one reason:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...006/112_news49

Chrysler has not been very sharp when it comes to production. With numerous models, problems have arisen with the motors and problems with "fires". Not to mention, the bumpers are very cheaply made. I asked the guy at the dealership before we got ours what he thought about the new srt8 jeeps, and he didnt have too many good things to say about them. Yes they have alot of horsepower, but their valvetrains do suck, thats why chrysler offered such an extensive warranty on the "valvetrain." Anyhow, just my opinion, its a lot of money for a vehicle that isnt as high quality as it should be. Id rather put

"how is it more of a quality car? The jeep is way more quility on the inside. And also ninie ball i know the jeep is more but only by 6-10k."

6-10k in my pocket...... I dont know about you.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:23 PM
10-Second Club

Originally Posted by WildBills WS6/SS
whats wrong with dodge?
Well, my opinions are based on people I have known that own Dodge vehicles...mostly trucks.

One of my best friends had a dodge 1500 quad cab & it had so many strange electrical problems it wasn't even funny...and the service he got from the dealer blew chunks. The door open bell would just randomly start dinging when he was on roads trips, cab lights would come on & off...like the truck was haunted. My step dad's 4x4 Dakota has given him several drive train problems & he drives like a grandpa, my mom hasn't really had any trouble with her Durango (older Dokota sized model)...the interiors on all of them seem to be the cheapest looking from the big 3 auto makers. This is based on truck interiors...I'd rate them Chevy>Ford>Dodge for interior comfort & quality. The new Fords are really nice, the only reason I don't rate them higher is because they have been making the seats too damn stiff & uncomfortable for long trips. I have the premium cloth captain chairs in my crew cab dually & it's like riding in 1 ton cadillac, lol. I've heard they Hemi's have had nothing but problems and are always in the shop....75% of the people I've spoken to said it's a good thing the Dodges came with the longer warranty because they used ever day/mile of it....so, that's why I don't care much for Dodge....
Old 12-07-2006, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

x 2.............
Old 12-07-2006, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
If you are leaving both stock, the Jeep is quicker.
The LS2 has way more aftermarket potential.
The TBSS gets a little better mileage
The TBSS is also $15-20K cheaper
The TBSS can actually tow, the Jeep can't.

i agree.....i have a 2006 trailblazer ss and i love all those features....the tranny is a 4L70...and the rearend is a 14bolt with 4.10 gears.....the srt-8 GC is way too over rated...my tb ss is just right....i have a sunroof,dvd tv,6 disc changer in dash....and a very nice appearence and performance....the jeep is way to expensive...and is only fast by about 1 car length....there are 3 black srt-8 GC's here in laredo and noone of them respond to me when i pull up next to them and rev or mess with them....so if anyone of you guys has one and would like to run against me just to see how they pair up lemme know

GRAND CHEROKEE'S CAN KISS MY SS
Old 12-07-2006, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Modsquad
Well, my opinions are based on people I have known that own Dodge vehicles...mostly trucks.

One of my best friends had a dodge 1500 quad cab & it had so many strange electrical problems it wasn't even funny...and the service he got from the dealer blew chunks. The door open bell would just randomly start dinging when he was on roads trips, cab lights would come on & off...like the truck was haunted. My step dad's 4x4 Dakota has given him several drive train problems & he drives like a grandpa, my mom hasn't really had any trouble with her Durango (older Dokota sized model)...the interiors on all of them seem to be the cheapest looking from the big 3 auto makers. This is based on truck interiors...I'd rate them Chevy>Ford>Dodge for interior comfort & quality. The new Fords are really nice, the only reason I don't rate them higher is because they have been making the seats too damn stiff & uncomfortable for long trips. I have the premium cloth captain chairs in my crew cab dually & it's like riding in 1 ton cadillac, lol. I've heard they Hemi's have had nothing but problems and are always in the shop....75% of the people I've spoken to said it's a good thing the Dodges came with the longer warranty because they used ever day/mile of it....so, that's why I don't care much for Dodge....

I totally understand...i am a service advisor at a CHEVY/CHRYSLER DODGE JEEP dealship...and man do those jeep grand cherokee's srt-8's come in all the time...they are pos's not one tb ss has come into service here other than mine when a stoopid tire pressure sensor light came on , and man dont get me started on recalls....jeeps have the most recalls out there EVER!!

bottom line tbss-vs-grand cherokee srt-8

tb ss hands down
Old 12-07-2006, 05:48 PM
12 Second Club

sorry i dont know how to qoute numerous posts...but so what if they are nicer threw the inside..i have driven them and i own my tb ss, and my tb has a way better ride for a daily driver....the GC shifts a lil too hard.....its kool for a race car or a weekend toy but i mean for a family vehicle it kind of sucks ***...dont wanna give 2yr kids whip lash do ya?

and hemi valvetrain does sucks ***

i paid 29k for my tb ss, i wouldnt have paid 45k for a vehicle with a worse ride and nicer interior and only a few tenths in the 1/4.............i'd perfer peformance over how nice the interior is anyday

there are some nice tb ss packages...if you get one with leather/sunroof/dvd/steering controls/navigation/side view mirror turn signals.....then it would look alot nicer than a GC srt-8

get a all wheel drive tb ss and slap a twin turbo setup in it....it is the modern day typhoon
Old 12-07-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

TBSS ftw, i like the dual cutout exaust and bumper SLP just put out, looks clean