I'm on academic probation at texas state.. i have a couple questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I'm on academic probation at texas state.. i have a couple questions.

well my gpa this past semester was a 1.57 so im on academic probation. Its been a shitty semester to say the least but im planning on bringing it back up.. but the letter made it sound like since im on academic probation that i cannot take any upper level courses?
does that sound right? what courses am I supposed to take to bring my gpa back up? all that i have left is upper level courses. Am i supposed totake a bunch of classes that i dont need?

<-- confused.
any help is appreciated.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there just got back to good standing on my transcript at UNT...i had a 1.7GPA brought it back to a 2.5GPA.. What is your grade classification?
Old 12-25-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Junkie

junior. what am i supposed to take if all that i have left is upper level courses?
Old 12-25-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

this is on the tx state website....

What do I do if I'm placed on probation?

Any student whose Texas State GPA drops below a 2.0 must attend a probation advising session with their advisor before they can register for the following semester courses. Since a student must be in good academic standing (Texas State GPA of 2.0 or higher) to take upper-division business courses, a student on probation cannot take new upper-division business courses. With permission from their advisor, students may repeat six hours of upper-division business courses in which they earned a D or F. Business majors must increase their Texas State GPA to at least 2.0 in the following semester or their admission to the McCoy College will be voided. Students can regain admission to the McCoy College only by going through the re-application process and competing with other applicants for openings. Please contact the Advising Center for further details.

can an advisor make an exception to this? this was my first semester at tx state and there arent any other classes for me to take besides upper level courses. I havent taken any upper level courses before so I cannot "retake" 6 credit hrs like they allow.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Just take a bunch of easy classes for an easy major...then your GPA will be higher and youll get a "minor" in something else, you win twice...
Old 12-25-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Can I take classes for an easy major? i cant take any upper level courses (3000-4000)
Old 12-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Launching!

so your overall GPA is below 2.0?
Old 12-25-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Junkie

My overall gpa at tx state is under a 2.0. I've only been there for 1 semester. All my other credits are from other schools.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Launching!

get pickaprof and find classes with a lot of A's and just take those next semester.

it's bad news that you are failing upper level classes tho...you are doing stuff that is your major, how do you not know it lol?
Old 12-25-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

the classes that i failed were not for my major. I havent started any of my "major" classes, i was planning on taking those this semester, because all my basics are over. I only took 2 classes last semester. one I had a 79 the other i had a 67. just if i had a couple more points in one of those 2 classes i wouldnt be worrying about this righ tnow
Old 12-25-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

dude dont worry i was just like you after my first semester i had a 1.75, you just gotta get "adjusted" to being in college and not having ppl like your parents, friends, gf getting on you for doing your hw, studying and going to class. Just go to EVERY class and youll see it makes a big diffrence. You can come back! I have a 3.0 GPR now overall, I needed to be put on probation b/c im hard headed and perform better under some sort of pressure. You'll be fine, just buckle down now!
Old 12-25-2006, 09:44 PM
LS7 Member

Just take some bs business or communication classes and you will see that gpa climb. Like Matt said, pick a prof is your friend.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Shinerbock07
dude dont worry i was just like you after my first semester i had a 1.75, you just gotta get "adjusted" to being in college and not having ppl like your parents, friends, gf getting on you for doing your hw, studying and going to class. Just go to EVERY class and youll see it makes a big diffrence. You can come back! I have a 3.0 GPR now overall, I needed to be put on probation b/c im hard headed and perform better under some sort of pressure. You'll be fine, just buckle down now!
this wasnt my first semester. i've been giong for a couple yrs. This was just my first sem at tx state. I guess i'll try that pick a prof once i talk to an advisor when they get back from break. and see what all i can take.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Default Been There

First thing first, get out of the hole. So only one semester there so far. Take 2-3 pe courses. I know it might not count towards your major but you need to bring your gpa up. That can be a couple of A's which can easily bring up your gpa to 2.5 depending on how many hours you have there so far. Plus you can take another course that will count towards your major, that way you dont fall behind too bad.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had that my first semester at UNT. Go talk to your advisor and see what you can take and do. Hopefully you'll get a good advisor that is willing to help you out. I had one lady at UNT that didn't care much and just rambled some **** out, while another lady was very helpful and pointed out some classes that are "upper level" but can be taken anytime. All you can do is go talk to them and figure out what all you can do.

My next semester I have 2 upper classes that are not "specific" to the degree, but count towards it as they are like upper level electives (there is a fancy word for it, but that is the general idea).

Also, look into the student instructor (SI) sessions and getting together with study groups. This last semster it helped me a ton, not to mention I spent alot less time on homework and studying, as those meetings and group get togethers laid all info out, taking some guess work out of it, and the sharing of ideas made everything alot easier. Like Shinerbock said, go to class too. Missing a few classes here or there can really put you behind as most stuff builds on the previous information.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh, and you can retake a few classes that you had CDF in and get that higher. First level english/history/speach/computer/etc is usually very easy, but going to a community college or smaller school first, you tend to slack off and not worry about it as much.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

goodinfo ^^^ makes me not worry about it so much. Hopefully the advisor can help me find some classes that i need.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:43 PM
TECH Veteran

you'll be fine just go in there with a good attitude, and worrying will just make things worse!

Good Luck man!
Old 12-25-2006, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

retake some classes, my gpa is about 1.7 they told me i should retake some before i even try anyhting else.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default same boat

yeah I did same thing and now have to retake classes but my problem was showing up for 7:30 class . Just get adjusted, go to class, study hard for test, and make friends w/ smart ppl (hopefully hot girls)if you are having trouble in a specific class and your gpa will rise

Quick Reply: I'm on academic probation at texas state.. i have a couple questions.