anybody ever had a DWI??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 08:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anybody ever had a DWI??

My cousin was arrested for DWI last week. Anybody here ever had one? What does it do to your chances of getting a job in the future? He hired a lawyer and hes going to court for him but it wont be settled for a while. Lawyer said theres 3,000 DWI cases in Austin alone each year. Thats nuts!! Any info you guys have would be great. If you don't want to put your name out here saying you got one PM me.
Theres ZERO chance it will get thrown out, he blew a .25 on the breathalyser
Old 12-28-2006, 08:43 AM
11 Second Club

Closest I've came to a DWI was my Brother and I helping put a drunk driver in prison who nearly killed my aunt a few years back, he's been denied parole three times, hopefully he's learned a lesson. Personally I wouldn't give a **** if he rotted behind bars, but that's just what I think of drunk drivers in general, nothing personal. If he has a lawyer and a clean prior that may help.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Regular

2 dead friends in seperate accidents resulting from drunk drivers (both friends were sober). 1 of which was a hit and run and they never found the guy.

Wish I could sympathize but No offense: whatever he has coming to him, he deserves.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

true people shouldn't drive drunk. I'm not defending him at all. Just looking for some insight on what he has to look forward too. especially getting a job in the future. Hes 21 and in college.
if you drive drunk you deserve the punishment, all the fines maybe even a lil jail time. and repeat offenders deserve even more, but if you learn your lesson and dont do it again you dont deserve to be denied a job or have it held against you once youve paid you debt. now if you kill or injure someone thats a different story.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy got pulled over and refused the Breathalyzer... cop took him straight to jail, he got bailed out called his lawyer and she had it thrown out in two weeks with a 6 week suspended license. Never Submit to a breathalyzer unles you honestly havent had anything to drink . You admit your guilt on the spot and all sorts of reprecussion are coming your way.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by klw1313
true people shouldn't drive drunk. I'm not defending him at all. Just looking for some insight on what he has to look forward too. especially getting a job in the future. Hes 21 and in college.
if you drive drunk you deserve the punishment, all the fines maybe even a lil jail time. and repeat offenders deserve even more, but if you learn your lesson and dont do it again you dont deserve to be denied a job or have it held against you once youve paid you debt. now if you kill or injure someone thats a different story.
From DMV.Org

While a DWI conviction requires a BAC of 0.08% or above, any driver can be cited for "driving while impaired" by drugs or lower concentrations of alcohol.

Penalties

Before we even start, we should point out that if a law enforcement officer asks you to submit to a breath or blood test to determine the alcohol content of your blood, and if you refuse, your license will probably be taken away from you on the spot and suspended for six months. This is in addition to any suspension you might get later if you're convicted of DWI.

Below are the basic penalties for various DWI violations. However, in addition to these, DWI convictions carry an additional financially devastating penalty called conviction-based surcharges. This is an ongoing additional fine that must be paid each year for three years, and it can run you thousands of dollars. We discuss this program more fully in our article about the driver license point system.

Drivers 21 and Over

First offense:

Up to a $2,000 fine
Minimum 72 hours to 180 days in jail
Driver license suspension: 90 days to one year

Second offense:

Up to a $4,000 fine
Thirty days to one year in jail
Driver license suspension: 180 days to two years

Third offense:

Up to a $10,000 fine
Two to 10 years behind bars
Driver's license suspension: 180 days to two years
From some Dallas Attorney Site

DWI/DUI, 1st Offense: Class B Misdemeanor
DWI/DUI, Additional Conditions of Probation
DWI/DUI, Enhancement
DWI/DUI, 2nd Offense: Class A Misdemeanor
DWI/DUI, 3rd Offense (Or Greater): 3rd Degree Felony
If you friend applies for some place that does background checks or involves driving he probably will be rejected because of the initial arrest. I know with my company he would fail the background check.

Class B Misdemeanor is same level as a Street Racing Conviction in Texas.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

trust me dont believe everytning you read,i had a dwi.just got mine back after 3 years.tell him to take the course for a permit to work and from work.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Launching!

The best thing he could do is spend the extra $$$ on the best lawyer there, someone that knows the DA. If he doesn't have any other arrest or priors his lawyers could maybeeeee, maybeeee, work something out with the DA and bring it down to PI. Expect him to do alot of community service. Good luck, maybe he will learn his lesson. Edit: Whatever route he takes......DO NOT PLEAD GUILTY.

Last edited by SuperSam; 12-28-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:51 PM
Launching!

my sis had one, and just got a job working for the dallas stars.
so i dunno, maybe she got lucky, and they just looked past it.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

If he blew that high the only way out is a lawyer that knows the DA or the Judge. If the lawyer does not have connections he will be wasting more money. There is almost no way to fight it and win if you blow. If no strings are pulled he will end up paying the lawyer and the fines. He could just go plead guilty and avoid paying the laywer if he cant find one with some "pull".
Old 12-28-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CamaroSS_2002
Class B Misdemeanor is same level as a Street Racing Conviction in Texas.

Ugh....
Old 12-28-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

he blew a .25...damn
Old 12-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Teching In

i got one when i was 20. 3 months in county, 5g's in fines and lawyer fees, 2 years comm. svc. and 3 years suspended license. DWI and DWLS a month later.

Not a good choice. Thanks to that I really dont drink at all. It really makes you not able to get a job for the fact that they cant insure you or when they do the background check. Im 25 now and just now getting over everything. It pretty much stays with you for about 7 years.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not gonna get in here and preach, I have driven when I shouldnt have, bad choice. 1st offense is bad luck/bad decisons, any thing after that, you have drinking problem. Since your posting this, guess this is his first offense, best bet is to get a very good lawyer. Very few people in here can give you any sound advice, other than to call a lawyer.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

Friend of mine got a DWI back in May. 90 day license suspension, had to get a probationary permit to drive to work which only allowed him to be on the road for 12 hours a day and then only in select counties. However he got off easy since he only spent a couple hours in jail, $150 for the towing company, $120 for the temp. permit, $100 something for the re-issuing of his license, $1000 for a lawyer, and $800 for the fine and court costs. To top it off charges were reduced to PI.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:21 AM
Launching!

Default Dwi

Stays on your record for the rest of your life,it cannot be removed.But the only thing that helps is the more time passes if he does'nt get in to more trouble, at least it shows that he learned his lesson.You can pretty much forget about any cdl jobs for a while.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Domestic Violence on ls1.com arested someone a while back with 23 DWI's and still had a liscence

<---almost killed by drunk **** in 2002. Geo TRacker=deathtrap
Old 12-29-2006, 02:22 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My uncle has 6 DUI's. Guy is a living piece of ****.

Tony.