School project help COME IN PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 09:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default School project help COME IN PLEASE

Okay guy's here is the deal. For one of my business classes at UH, a group of us has had to create a company. So what we chose to do was an Auto Detail, and car wash.

We plan on setting our company apart from the others by offering better service and more convenience to our customers.

Another difference is that we are going to have a number of self serve coin operated bays for people who wish to wash their own cars. We will also offer high-end detailing with buffing etc.

What I need from ya'll is your input on if the pricing was fair would this be something that ya'll would be interested in doing?

Thanks so much,
Thomas
Old 02-09-2007, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

If ya'll can please don't ask the pricing, because I'm not sure what it is going to be. Just consider it a reasonable price.

Also please just say if you would or would not use it etc. So, I can keep it in focus. So, come on in and let me know I need 300 responses which is just nuts in my mind, but it for a grade so...

Thomas
Old 02-09-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am guessing that location would be a key factor in price. Where, hypothetically, would this Auto Detail center be? And what would set you apart from the competition... say like Mr. Car Wash centers? I am sure that people would be willing to pay more for a more personalized service.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

Consider it in a good location, and service great etc. Is the general idea something of intrest or not is sort of what I'm going for. For example do you like the idea of both self service and the option of full service. Full service rangeing from basic wash to full detail and buff etc.

Thomas
Old 02-09-2007, 09:49 AM
12 Second Club

I like to wash my own car but if it was fairly cheap and didnt give swirl marks Id try it out. Maybe have an engine detail option
Old 02-09-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

sounds like a pretty good idea, your giving the people options. I like the idea.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Veteran

i like the idea a lot, because sometimes(most) i like doing it myself. But if there was a waxing, buffering area than id do that as well. Great idea
Old 02-09-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

As an amateur detailer, I would definitely be interested in something like this. Pearland has tons of coin-op carwashes, and a few full service places, but none are "either/or". I'd like a place where I could drive in and say, "I'm feeling lazy today, so you do everything" or "I'll be detailing it myself, so just a basic wash and dry, then I'll take it home and do the rest." Also, none of the existing places offer what I would consider high-end detailing.

-Mike
Old 02-09-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A big seller is the unlimited car wash. There's a spot in Baytown that lets you buy a card for washes. You can buy 1-2-3 month cards. In that time period, you can bring in your ride (just 1, one day at a time) as many times as you want for that time period.
The drive up ones are pretty popular in Houston. The ones where you just sit in your car and ride it threw.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

That does not sound like a good idea. You have too many things going on at once.

A self serve wash, a car wash and high end detailing.

The market is most likely already split in to two divisons. People who wash their cars and those who don't. By having so many options it might confuse the market you are advertising too and may be too hectic of a place. It also seems like a lot of land would be required fot this?

When people pick a service they are looking for value. It seems like you are trying to hit every demographic here which is just hard. You want to off a cheap place to come for the self serve, a car wash for the regular people then high end work. If you narrowed down the market you are going for and figure out which aspect (quality,price etc) of your business you really want to appeal to your market should be easier to identify and cater towards.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Include several misspellings on the signs at the car wash, like that place on Kirby. Great marketing technique.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by alexWS6
Include several misspellings on the signs at the car wash, like that place on Kirby. Great marketing technique.
Hey, it works sometimes lol...

"It's not a light bear if it says IGH" - Miller Lite
Old 02-09-2007, 12:21 PM
FormerVendor

bikini car wash!!! peice!
Old 02-09-2007, 12:33 PM
12 Second Club

I probably wouldn't be close enough to use it, but if you posted the process for the full service and your employees would follow it, I'd feel comfortable taking it to someone else. By process, I mean acknowledging that the wash stroke should be forward to backward instead of circular to prevent swirls, etc. The full service places seem like they'll hire anyone, including people that don't have a clue how to properly wash a car. If you can prove to high-end guys otherwise, I think you'd get the business.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Yes it would work, and yes I would use it. FWIW there is one very similiar in Joliet, IL.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Teching In

I would use it if like said above, it didn't leave swirl marks. The engine detail option would definitely be somehting that would set you apart. Also, I don't know about other areas, but there isn't a retailer or store out here that sells Zaino products, and I have to wait on it to be shipped. In your lobby area you maybe could carry some detailing products that others dont.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
That does not sound like a good idea. You have too many things going on at once.

A self serve wash, a car wash and high end detailing.

The market is most likely already split in to two divisons. People who wash their cars and those who don't. By having so many options it might confuse the market you are advertising too and may be too hectic of a place. It also seems like a lot of land would be required fot this?
I disagree - I think it could work. Market it as a "Car Wash Plaza". Lots of people in apartments can't hand-wash their own cars, and most car washes around here don't let you bring your own bucket and sponge.

So you could have it broken up into different sections, maybe a U shape with a big "plaza" in the middle where the se;f-serve vacuums are. The three sides could be:

a - bring your own bucket, we've got the hose
b - drop off your car
c - detailing center

I wouldn't use it for washing my car, but I'd use it for getting the detailing done on the inside and the engine bay.

Hope this counts as one of the 300 responses he needs...

Good luck with the class!
Old 02-09-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
none of the existing places offer what I would consider high-end detailing.

-Mike
thats one of the services i offer. im way more flexible on location as my business is mobile. however. my prices are pretty fair. there are a lot of people that prefer their car to get cleaned at their personal residence/business. very convenient.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What class is this for? Professional Selling? Professor?

Ryan
Old 02-09-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
thats one of the services i offer. im way more flexible on location as my business is mobile. however. my prices are pretty fair. there are a lot of people that prefer their car to get cleaned at their personal residence/business. very convenient.
Right, which is the way I do it too. And I much prefer teaching people how to detail their cars than doing it for them, even though that means I don't get much repeat business.

-Mike