Is it against the law to have nitrous equipment installed in on-road cars in Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know the law...but one time at night i got pulled over and the cop came over and shined his flashlight in my face and then in the back seat...and i was like ****...he asked me if i had breathing probs and i said no sir...and then he asked me why i had huge *** air tank bolted betweeen mmy seats im sure he knew what it was and he didnt say anything else about it after that. it was hooked up and full at the time too...
i still have no clue if its a law tho
Old 03-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Breakfast Fanatic

Originally Posted by regorih383
I was just wondering if I could get a ticket or have my car taken away by the state because it has nitrous on it, example: bottle with compressed gas?

Roger
Old 03-10-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been pulled over many times and searched since I installed my nitrous. It is mounted between my 2 back seats. The bottle is always full and hooked up, but I try to keep the lines clear. Everytime the cop comes back and talks to me, they ask me what it is and how fast it will run...Im just like um, its quick I guess...
Old 03-10-2007, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

incriminating?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-10-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by scot254
incriminating?

[IMG][/IMG]
Nice tag man but it just screams "**** with me".
Old 03-11-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS69TA
The bottle gets restamped every x amout of years. Every 12 years ours have to be hydrotested and re-stamped. I had a old 15lb nitrous bottle that was out of date and couldn't get refilled. BTW there's a difference between "inspecting" and "certifying".

The only ones who MIGHT give you crap over it would be DPS.
Yep, same as oxygen, acet, argon, etc. I think its every 10 years though, cause I just had to have a few bottles hydrotested.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Yep, same as oxygen, acet, argon, etc. I think its every 10 years though, cause I just had to have a few bottles hydrotested.
Finally..somebody else who knows what they're talking about..
Old 03-11-2007, 07:01 PM
it is on low boost

I think it is against the law to spray your LS1 car while getting pulled on by a Civic? I might be wrong...
Old 03-11-2007, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Dont know about any specific laws, however, the kit I have came with a 48 state exempt sticker. As far as I know at this time, it is not in any way illegal to have NO2 in you're vehicle. I have had it in my cars since the mid '80s and have never, ever had a problem with any LEO about it. I'm gonna go check the texas DPS site and check to see if there is anything there about it. Its so convoluted that its hard to understand sometimes. I would suggest to anyone cited for having NOS in their vehicle to contact SEMA and talk to one of their lawyers. They are fully aware of ALL laws pertaining to motorized vehicles in the USA
Old 03-12-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

FACT:

IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO HAVE IN YOUR CAR!

FACT:

IT IS ILLEGAL TO USE IT, OR OPERATE YOUR VEHICLE WITH IT ON A PUBLIC ROADWAY!

So you can have it all day long, just can't use it,
but we all know if a cop wants to do something, he sure as heck can!

its not illegal to use because of any specific law against it, just that it is not approved, in the same way many other aftermarket performance parts are not approved for street use by the DOT or Emissions Air Boards, etc.
This has come up many times when doing state inspections and I have personally discussed it with the appropriate TX DPS officers who enforce and deal with auto inspecitions, etc. and know all about car specific laws and regulations.

Reality of It:

Keep the bottle closed and you are in the clear!

Last edited by SERIALPIMP; 03-12-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

I spoke to a DPS Major down in Austin about this one time - I called them up and they were kind enough to answer me. They said...

...that you can have nitrous lines in the car, fully functional, bottle full, installed, as long as you don't have nitrous flowing through the lines. IE, a remote bottle opener with the bottle closed, or just keep the bottle closed until you use it.

This is no guarantee that all cops know this, but this is what I was told by DPS.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS69TA
Finally..somebody else who knows what they're talking about..
i learned about this in my scuba diving class

Quick Reply: Is it against the law to have nitrous equipment installed in on-road cars in Texas?