Cobalt SS in the 11's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck on your project... dont let people down you man, if thats what you want go for it, it wont hurt to try it...

I get alot of that B.S. sometimes too, but who cares..... people think its stupid to race a truck, but hey my **** is DD and it runs 11's in a 5,000lb truck.. not too many people do that, and it will bust quite a few of f-bodys and vette's at the track... that look on their face is priceless... and of course the those that I raced probably dont have the mods I do but it is sure surprising for them to see a truck whoop on them, and by the way my truck is an extended cab also...
Old 03-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Teching In

I haven’t read through the entire post but if you’re still looking for a guide to help you build your Cobalt GM actually offers a guide as to what to do and the steps to do it in. I’m 90% sure that you can pick it up through any parts department. GM has built a great program with this car and motor program by sponsoring tons of races and providing them with a great engine program that’s been developed by Roushe (sp?) Racing. A friend of mine here locally in Houston is fortunate enough to have their sponsorship and has gone 7.8’s in a front tube Cobalt. They’ve also got a Turbo4 car out of Maryland that’s gone 9.20’s. This car retains power everything, full interior, and other misc. amenities.
-thomas
Old 03-27-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SEBLS1
Yank out the stock motor & put in a LS1
ZO6?!?1?! LS7 maybe. haha. And PS2's. And Danica Patrick...with *****
Old 03-27-2007, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

I guess a lot of guys here seem to forget that the Cobalt is a lot lighter then the c6 zo6. If a zo6 makes 505hp at the fly thats about 450-460 at the wheels. That should produce on radials high 11's with a good driver or low 12's with a very bad driver. Now the Cobalt being lighter and making about 450-500whp when I get done (cause any more power and I wont drive it everywhere) will be easily in the high 11's with just the boost. Now when I add the nitrous it will be maybe lower in the 11's possibly 10's. I dont plan on keeping the supercharger. I will most likely go to something like a 20g turbo or if possible two of them. The bottom end wont be stock and the suspension will be switched to a grand am type. the ecotec motor should produce the numbers I am looking for at around 15psi of boost. If I add a 50shot of gas then we r talking faster times. Its going to take a lot to get it where I want but when it is all said and done it will be my dd that WILL beat a c6 zo6. Last time I checked they dont run low 11's high 10's.
For those who want to see this happen and believe in this project, big thanks. There are some people on this board that remember when my Formula was my dd and it was running 11.20's with a 75shot of gas because I was afraid to make more power. Now that same car is in the low 9's and God willing will be in the 8's by August and will still be my weekend cruise car. So I know it can be done.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:08 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

The Cobalt is lighter but not by a whole lot. About 350 lbs lighter. But the Z06 creates power all the way around the rpm range and has a very wide power curve. A f/i 2.0 litre motor does not have a wide power curve only a narrow peak. (Thats why I said it would take more than 460whp)
Also (correct me if Im wrong) the Zo6 has a far superior drivetrain than any FWD.
Beefing up the engine is only half the race. The rest is drivetrain, suspension, tires, and wieght.

Speed is $$$. How much money do you have? Can a modded Cobalt beat a stock Zo6? Yes. Will it be easy? No.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HTX
The Cobalt is lighter but not by a whole lot. About 350 lbs lighter. But the Z06 creates power all the way around the rpm range and has a very wide power curve. A f/i 2.0 litre motor does not have a wide power curve only a narrow peak. (Thats why I said it would take more than 460whp)
Also (correct me if Im wrong) the Zo6 has a far superior drivetrain than any FWD.
Beefing up the engine is only half the race. The rest is drivetrain, suspension, tires, and wieght.

Speed is $$$. How much money do you have? Can a modded Cobalt beat a stock Zo6? Yes. Will it be easy? No.
Thats why I posted the last post. I have the money to make this possible. But I wont do it over night for the fact that I like to see how it will run and how much power it will make after each mod. Its just fun and plus you get to see what works and what doesnt. I wouldnt start a project if I wasnt going to be able to finish it. Some people start stuff but never finish and I never really know why they started in the first place.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Teching In

let TWO LS1 pullll you down the track .......jajajaj
Old 05-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

check out the website:
www.cobaltss.com
Old 07-03-2007, 07:11 AM
12 Second Club

Id look at what bang your getting for your $. I have a SSSC Great car fun to drive love the gas milage best part of the car is 3rd gear on the highway.Id take my 93 TA any day or Any Fbody for that part .Bottom line is the $$$$$ .BTW there was a guy up in Canada that had the same plans had had a good start on the parts and work on a 06 dont know what happened to him.
Check here to http://cobaltss.net

Last edited by DADDY&GIRL93TA; 07-03-2007 at 07:12 AM. Reason: add something
Old 07-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Good luck. It's gunna be a money pit but it will be worth it in the long run.

Last edited by 06 Blue Goat; 07-03-2007 at 10:23 AM.