Diesels what to get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesels what to get?

Well I am in the stage of my life right now where I feel the need to sell the SS and move on since I have my whole life to have toys. The SS just doesn't fit my needs as of now. I was wondering if anyone had any experiences or preferences of diesel trucks they have or would like to have such as dodge, ford, chevy you know lol. I test drove an 06 mega cab 5.9 diesel today and man I was impressed. Just trying to get educated since I love this forum, and am loyal to it lol. Just don't want to make the wrong move in this situation.

Thanks in advance,

Chase
Old 04-11-2007, 01:44 PM
12 Second Club

A bunch of heavy towers around here use the Duramax. I've never heard one complaint, they're great trucks
Old 04-11-2007, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

I have driven Dodge trucks a few times with the Cummins diesel, and I drive Ford trucks at work with Powe Strokes. They both seem like great powertrains. I've also heard nothing but great things about the Duramax. From what I've expereienced and what I've read they're all good engines. Personally I'm a GM guy, but that's just my taste.

I'd say since you've driven the Dodge, now head to the Ford dealer and then a Chevy/GMC dealer and take some time with each truck. As far as I know GM still has the 24 hour test drive deal.

If you get on www.performancetrucks.net you can go to each section and read peoples raves and bitches about each one too.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best deal going right now is 07 Power Strokes. The 08s were introduced in February and dealers are making deals to move the old ones out.

After the 6.0 debacle of 03, 04 and 05 where the motors were pushing head gaskets and munching on turbos, the 06 and 07 have been dead nuts reliable.

The 6.4 TT 08s are having some serious issues right now with multiple recalls.

I recently took delivery of an 07 PS, leaving a GMC 8.1 gasser. Sticker was almost $49K and I drove it away for under 40.

http://webpages.charter.net/mitchntx/BlackWheels1.jpg

I like the styling and ride of the Ford over my GMC. But, I think the GMC handles a load better and is more comfortable to sit in.

I drove a Dodge for a couple days and it was like driving a tin can. It had great power and performed amazingly. I was thoroughly impressed with styling. But it just looked and sounded cheap inside.

Finally the new GM truck's styling looks like like crap.

It's just one opinion ...
Old 04-11-2007, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

Duramax
Old 04-11-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn chase MEGACAB!! thats too big for my liking,
i say get a DURAMAX or a F250, both are my favorites
Old 04-11-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you wanting a daily driver? Automatic? I had a Duramax for a while and loved it. Loved the 5 spd allison too. I wouldn't own a dodge automatic. Like most have said, they are all solid trucks, find which one fits your styling, interior, and price preferences and you can't go wrong.

One thing to consider is the diesel fuel regulations are changing. All the new diesel engines have to run on ultra low sulfur fuel. I haven't owned a diesel in a couple years, but I would look into the availability of the new fuel before I jumped right in. I know you can run the older engines on the new fuel, but you can't run the new engines on the old fuel.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Get a Duramax. My friends and I all have them and have had no problems. I would find an 07 "classic" on dealer lots with the LBZ engine to avoid all of the emmision garbage they started putting on the new trucks.

That and dealers are making deals to get rid of the old design.

The cummins is a great motor too. The 6.0 powerstroke is garbage IMHO. The Allison transmission is what sets the GM HD's apart in my book. Dodge is known for not having the strongest trannies, but the Allisons are solid unless you throw rediculous power adders at it.

If you want info on the Duramax, check out Dieselplace.com
Old 04-11-2007, 03:49 PM
10 Second Club

I had an 01 Duramax and loved it. Only problem was leaky injectors. Chevy replaced all 8 under the 200K mile fuel system warranty. If would have had to pay for it, it would have been $6500. I really liked my Duramax, ran it once at the track and in stock form it ran a 16.5. The guys from mobile diesel performance were out there and let me use a bullydog chip. Cut my time to a 15.2.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used to work for GM, that being said, DO NOT buy a duramax. They still havent worked out the issue with the injectors, and the 200k mile special policy is only for the older ones.

Its kinda sketchy right now, because both ford and dodge have switched to new motors. The new ford def. comes with alot of cool goodies.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:26 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

I will trade you Venkman's diesel Krautmobile for your SS.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

I've been thinking about adding a diesel to my stable for a few months now too.
I'm in the used market, so take this for what it's worth.
Originally, I was all for the 97-02 F250 PowerStroke. Exterior - looks good, nice and clean and a few minor body upgrades and it looks even better. Powertrain - pretty strong, all my grandfather runs on his ranch are PS diesels! That's a testament to them for sure! Interior is where Ford REALLY REALLY lost me. I know its a truck and all, but there's no frills, cheapo materials everywhere.
Which led me to the Duramax. I originally had a beef with the powertrain, but after some research, I decided it was actually a pretty sweet setup. Pretty easy to throw some nice boost at and see good results. Economical, smooth, reliable. Interior is miles above Ford and a decent bit better than the Dodges IMHO. Exterior styling - the early 01-02s are my favorite. The 03-07's are okay. I'm not so much a fan of the 08's yet. All of that is your discretion though.
Dodge's - Cummins rules, the rest of the truck, well that's debatable. I like the interior/exterior styling, but it's all middle of the road for me. It always ranks in the middle between its competition. Is it worth all the compromises. I say no, because in the used market it is the newest and therefore most expensive.
Not having test driven any, I can't really comment on that. Ford's new interior looks pretty slick. I might wait to see if they get the powertrain issues worked out and buy one if I was getting new. I'm not quite used to the new exterior, but it's growing on me. Really, you can't go wrong with a diesel! Good luck!
Old 04-11-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TWS
I will trade you Venkman's diesel Krautmobile for your SS.
Cool, and i'll trade that SS for the blower car.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SilverSierra
Are you wanting a daily driver? Automatic? I had a Duramax for a while and loved it. Loved the 5 spd allison too. I wouldn't own a dodge automatic. Like most have said, they are all solid trucks, find which one fits your styling, interior, and price preferences and you can't go wrong.

One thing to consider is the diesel fuel regulations are changing. All the new diesel engines have to run on ultra low sulfur fuel. I haven't owned a diesel in a couple years, but I would look into the availability of the new fuel before I jumped right in. I know you can run the older engines on the new fuel, but you can't run the new engines on the old fuel.

This would be my daily driver, also I am getting it to take road trips to san marcus also to fit a good amount of people into. I am defenitly getting an automatic because of houston traffic . Another reason I choose diesel is because you can get some great power out of them, but I would not go overboard like some of these guys do (just my preference). Just some exhaust and a chip on a low level. Then I plan to buy a roller and slowly build that or go ahead and purchase a boat or jetski's or something. You say new fuel? WTF more info please I haven't be told this yet???
Old 04-11-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by C5RUZR
I've been thinking about adding a diesel to my stable for a few months now too.
I'm in the used market, so take this for what it's worth.
Originally, I was all for the 97-02 F250 PowerStroke. Exterior - looks good, nice and clean and a few minor body upgrades and it looks even better. Powertrain - pretty strong, all my grandfather runs on his ranch are PS diesels! That's a testament to them for sure! Interior is where Ford REALLY REALLY lost me. I know its a truck and all, but there's no frills, cheapo materials everywhere.
Which led me to the Duramax. I originally had a beef with the powertrain, but after some research, I decided it was actually a pretty sweet setup. Pretty easy to throw some nice boost at and see good results. Economical, smooth, reliable. Interior is miles above Ford and a decent bit better than the Dodges IMHO. Exterior styling - the early 01-02s are my favorite. The 03-07's are okay. I'm not so much a fan of the 08's yet. All of that is your discretion though.
Dodge's - Cummins rules, the rest of the truck, well that's debatable. I like the interior/exterior styling, but it's all middle of the road for me. It always ranks in the middle between its competition. Is it worth all the compromises. I say no, because in the used market it is the newest and therefore most expensive.
Not having test driven any, I can't really comment on that. Ford's new interior looks pretty slick. I might wait to see if they get the powertrain issues worked out and buy one if I was getting new. I'm not quite used to the new exterior, but it's growing on me. Really, you can't go wrong with a diesel! Good luck!

Yea, I am probably going to buy a used, BUT if I am feeling up for it I might go with a new one. If I buy a used what is considered okay mileage for these things? I heard they last forever, but not sure what to look for this is why I brought my questions here. Thanks for the input so far guys KEEP IT COMING

Thanks,

Chase
Old 04-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Exhaust only helps very slightly. The main thing you will gain from exhaust is lower EGT's. The tuner is where you get your power with the diesel.

I used to work at a GM dealer and most of my friends still do. MAny of them drive duramax and work on them. I have heard of no significant injector problems other than the early LB7 design. Not calling BS, but just doesn't make sense.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
I have heard of no significant injector problems other than the early LB7 design. Not calling BS, but just doesn't make sense.
Have your friends check with TAC. Nuff said.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Diesel link http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...sel/ulsd.shtml

Every model will have its set of problems. I ran a programmer and 35" tires on my otherwise stock Dmax and never had any injector issues, and mine was an 02.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

how does the ss not fit your lifestyle but a huge, expensive, gas suckinng truck does? Just wondering
Old 04-11-2007, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

My buddy has an '06 2500 Duramax diesal with the Allison tranny, programmer, and Magnaflow exhaust. Having a tough time making the payments on the truck and house. Looking to sell. Let me know if you're interested. Awesome truck.