Brad Lidge - Astros

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brad Lidge - Astros

Why do they keep hanging on to this guy? For 1/3 of an innings work last night, he gives up 3 runs. The Astros need face it, he has lost his competitive edge.
**Note to Astros** You can't win games, if you send in a pitcher who can't get outs...........

Last edited by 00 Z-28; 04-21-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Send him to AAA for a spell.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:38 PM
LS7 Member

I'll go raz him on half price beer nights at dell diamond.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

it is getting to that point where you just know hes gonna **** it up, I actually called it last night. He has great stuff with no control, just like Wagner used to be. I think they hold on to him because they remember how Wagner came around.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sprayed1998
it is getting to that point where you just know hes gonna **** it up, I actually called it last night. He has great stuff with no control, just like Wagner used to be. I think they hold on to him because they remember how Wagner came around.
No they hold on to him because he was "lights out" for 2.5 years, they hope he can get there again. I like the guy but now he's like the David Carr of the astors, they need to ship him somewhere else and he will do better.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

First off, he pitched 2/3rds of an inning.

Second off, Phil Garner has made it very clear what their plans with Lidge are, so let me fill you in on his logic (or, at least, what he claims to be his logic).

Immediately after it was announced that Lidge would not be closing anymore, Garner was very clear in saying that they would most likely be using Lidge MORE than before because he would be pitching in earlier innings and in more situations. He has been doing exactly that, and Lidge has done a little better. Last night, I believe Garner decided he would bring him in because, while it was not a save situation, it was as close to one as you can get. So, he couldn't be accused of using Lidge this soon in save situations, but at the same time he allowed Lidge to pitch with a little more pressure on him.

If you recall, Garner made the same mistake last year. After pulling Lidge from the closer role some time after the All-Star break last year, they put him right back in there after like one, maybe two decent performances in non-closing roles. And he continued to suck.

So, to answer your question, they hold onto him because they feel it's in the best interest of the club to try (at least for a while) and work him through his issues.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

I heard a rumor on the radio the other day that Garner and Purpura are not getting along right now because of Lidge. Purpura was upset that Garner pulled the trigger so soon on demoting Lidge from the closer role. Apparently, Purpura has some sort of loyalty to Lidge from when he was in charge of the Astros minor league organization.

There has been interest from other teams in Lidge. At this point, I'd take whatever the Astros can get for him and be done with it. I'd rather see him go to another team and do well against us than have him keep losing games (or almost losing, like last night) for us.

-Mike
Old 04-21-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They have to send him down till he gets his head right. He'll figure it out then.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
I heard a rumor on the radio the other day that Garner and Purpura are not getting along right now because of Lidge. Purpura was upset that Garner pulled the trigger so soon on demoting Lidge from the closer role. Apparently, Purpura has some sort of loyalty to Lidge from when he was in charge of the Astros minor league organization.

There has been interest from other teams in Lidge. At this point, I'd take whatever the Astros can get for him and be done with it. I'd rather see him go to another team and do well against us than have him keep losing games (or almost losing, like last night) for us.

-Mike
Lidge and Lane to TB for Kazmir.

Wherever Lidge goes, I hope it goes to the AL. I think he still has wicked stuff and he will be able to harness it again and become a good closer... I'd hate for him to go somewhere in the NL and kill us down the road.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hawgs
Lidge and Lane to TB for Kazmir.

Wherever Lidge goes, I hope it goes to the AL. I think he still has wicked stuff and he will be able to harness it again and become a good closer... I'd hate for him to go somewhere in the NL and kill us down the road.
Yeah, in a dream world. We drop the worst reliever in the league and a backup guy, and we bring one of last year's best pitchers back to where he played High School baseball? I'd like to think that would work. How many years would we be getting too? I'm not gonna go look it up, but wouldn't that be about a 6 or 7 year age difference (no idea how old Lidge is)?
Old 04-23-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lidge will be fine, but I think they should try him out as a spot starter once in a while. That way he has a fresh start early in the game with a clean slate. If you can get 3 innings of good baseball out of him a few times then work a littel in middle relief then hopefully by the end of the season he will fell comfortable in a set-up role again, then once he has matered that again, we can throw him in at closer.

I speak from experience when I say being out of shape mentally if far more devastating than you can ever imagine. But once you get it back you are as tough as ever, the astros mgmt know this, and have seen it before. Lidge will make a comeback.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure spot starts or any starts are out of the question unless your talking about 2-3 innings. He was hurt most his career until he was madea closer.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PMCSPIDER
Lidge will be fine, but I think they should try him out as a spot starter once in a while. That way he has a fresh start early in the game with a clean slate. If you can get 3 innings of good baseball out of him a few times then work a littel in middle relief then hopefully by the end of the season he will fell comfortable in a set-up role again, then once he has matered that again, we can throw him in at closer.

I speak from experience when I say being out of shape mentally if far more devastating than you can ever imagine. But once you get it back you are as tough as ever, the astros mgmt know this, and have seen it before. Lidge will make a comeback.
+1. Putting him in a starting role may very well benefit him, it is a completely different situation for a pitcher. This phase he is going through and is all mental and this may be what he needs to get his head right.

He will be back, its just a matter of time.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

^^^^^ Tried it. Not good. Don't wanna talk about it. haha.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT1wannabe
^^^^^ Tried it. Not good. Don't wanna talk about it. haha.
When did he start?? I guess i missed that.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

lidge does not have enough pitches to be put in a starting role, to be effective, you would need a min. of 3 pitches, and lidge only has 2 to speak of. lidge would only last maybe 3 innings at most if they tried him in a starting role. our bullpen has not been to good so far this year. so, they need to keep the starting pitchers in as long as they can. the stros will work out the bugs with him.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

I think they should hold onto him for a few more years untill i get outa college then ill take his role. ( I have been a closer for a long time, but i made stupid decisions in highschool and didnt play my senior year. So now im going to attempt to walk onto the A&M team next fall.)

It's a small chance that i will play in the biggies, but it would be nice lol...
Old 04-25-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

good luck dude! i hope u do well!
Old 04-25-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TLUZLS1
When did he start?? I guess i missed that.
when he came out of Notre Dame he ws a starter, soon as he got to rookie ball he was injured. only pitched in 29 games in 4 years in the minors. Problems didn't go away until he was made closer/setup guy.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Scoring 0 runs won't win ballgames either.
Burke making several run costing errors in CF while doing nothing at the plate to make up for his poor defense also isn't helping.