Damn army people called me..

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think every American citizen 18 Y/O and up should do mandatory military service for a minimum of 2 years.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:54 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
People are quick to write off the military, you play your cards right, you can get some decent job skills for when you get out. Not every single job is a combat job also, a lot of them you can look at as a free vocational school and training that you get paid to be at. Not well maybe, but you can get some good skills and learn trades. I have family in the military and a lot of friends thats are in or have been. Just a matter of being smart and using the military to help you in the long run. I don't really care if people don't want to serve, if I could have I would have but oh well. I got way to many friends in Iraq and Afghanistan and all agree, they dont want some one looking out for them that doesnt wanna be there.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
I think every American citizen 18 Y/O and up should do mandatory military service for a minimum of 2 years.
it would sure as hell fix a lot of the attitude problems.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:40 PM

I would agree
Old 07-05-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
People are quick to write off the military, you play your cards right, you can get some decent job skills for when you get out. Not every single job is a combat job also, a lot of them you can look at as a free vocational school and training that you get paid to be at. Not well maybe, but you can get some good skills and learn trades. I have family in the military and a lot of friends thats are in or have been. Just a matter of being smart and using the military to help you in the long run. I don't really care if people don't want to serve, if I could have I would have but oh well. I got way to many friends in Iraq and Afghanistan and all agree, they dont want some one looking out for them that doesnt wanna be there.
indeed.

the biggest part of that is "not every job is a combat job." my father was a coreman in the navy for 22 years and spent a whopping 3 months at sea (1 deployment). granted, he only retired as E7, but still. i'm going on 6 years and haven't been deployed yet and i'm an arabic linguist. it depends on the branch and field you pick. it's been like a 9-5 for me.

but yeah, they should leave you alone if that's your request.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brad8266
Who the **** told you that bullshit? You think a 2LT is above going to the sandbox, lol? Amazing. "Yeah all you Majors and Colonels have to go to Baghdad because we cant send the new LT's since we spent money on them"

I am going to assume you havent served in the military.
no, i havent served. but of the 15 or so people i know that did ROTC in college, two went to the middle east, and they both requested it. it might just depend on what you did in college. they were all either engineer's or comp sci majors. they got sent to random bases in the US to design weapons, planes, engines, etc. of the two that went over seas, neither were anywhere near major combat zones.

then again, maybe the people i know are just lucky.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats how israel does things... but i think its moreso out of despairation. I feel that the fact that we have an all volunteer military helps to make sure we have quality, motivated people.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
no, i havent served. but of the 15 or so people i know that did ROTC in college, two went to the middle east, and they both requested it. it might just depend on what you did in college. they were all either engineer's or comp sci majors. they got sent to random bases in the US to design weapons, planes, engines, etc. of the two that went over seas, neither were anywhere near major combat zones.

then again, maybe the people i know are just lucky.
Well in that case it was probably because they were in technical related officer jobs that did not place them in line type units, rather they were in technical jobs designing stuff. 90% of officer positions are line unit positions such as platoon leaders and staff officers, most of which are in units that are deployed often. There are a few tech fields for officers though that keep them out of fire.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's ridiculous.

with a country with a population the size of the U.S. trying to do something like that, there's no way they could even come close to having the facilities to put them all thru basic/AIT at the same time......

the reason all those arab countries are doing **** like that is because their population is nowhere near the size of the U.S., and their troops are always getting shot up/blown up by other countries (and in some countries, committing suicide in the name of their deranged version of the Koran)....so they actually need each & every one of their young adults (and even KIDS, in some cases) to serve. the U.S. doesn't need that many.....not by a longshot.

do you know what kind of rioting/civil uprest/rebellion there would be if they tried to do something like that? it would turn our country upside down & inside out, and make us even more vulnerable to attack from our enemies.

sorry, but it's just a bad, bad idea. one that they've apparently already realized is a bad idea, since they revisited the idea of returning to the draft, and shot it down before it got started again.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
that's ridiculous.

with a country with a population the size of the U.S. trying to do something like that, there's no way they could even come close to having the facilities to put them all thru basic/AIT at the same time......

the reason all those arab countries are doing **** like that is because their population is nowhere near the size of the U.S., and their troops are always getting shot up/blown up by other countries (and in some countries, committing suicide in the name of their deranged version of the Koran)....so they actually need each & every one of their young adults (and even KIDS, in some cases) to serve. the U.S. doesn't need that many.....not by a longshot.

do you know what kind of rioting/civil uprest/rebellion there would be if they tried to do something like that? it would turn our country upside down & inside out, and make us even more vulnerable to attack from our enemies.

sorry, but it's just a bad, bad idea. one that they've apparently already realized is a bad idea, since they revisited the idea of returning to the draft, and shot it down before it got started again.
Your scared.....
Old 07-06-2007, 03:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GTO JIMMY
Your scared.....
no i'm not....quite the contrary, in fact

i am ineligible for military service due to medical disability, so it won't affect me one way or the other

i just think it's a stupid idea to try to force everyone to go for 2 years
Old 07-06-2007, 03:58 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

that's ridiculous.

All those arab coutries huh? What about Germany???
German citizens are far more loyal to thier coutry than US citizens are.
In general they are also a more disiplined society with a much better education system.

Do you know why it would cause riots? Becasue most of americans are not loyal, are not thankful for the many things they take for granted.

Im in the military and I do think more people should experience what i have.
Not to mention a large portion of the people that make major decisions involving the military dont know a damn thing about it.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:05 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

i do agree that it would never work. But it doesnt mean it is a bad idea.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:27 AM
TECH Addict

you don't have to be actively involved in the military to be loyal to your country....although i will agree with you that a lot of americans do take their liberties for granted.....just see that other thread about the Mexican students out in California disrupting the school, turning the U.S. flag upside-down, and putting the Mexican flag above it for proof of that.

and yeah, maybe Germany is a more well-disciplined country with better education, but a lot of that has to do with the differences in each of our countries' histories.....their history is a lot longer than ours, so they have had more time to learn from their mistakes than we have. and they also have a vastly smaller population to contend with.

and of course, we can't (and shouldn't) forget where the Germans' "patriotism" & "discipline" took them near the middle of the last century....they tried to take over Europe under the rule of a tyrannical dictator.

don't get me wrong, i'm not judging the current generation for the mistakes of the past, but devotion can only go so far until it turns to obsession, and obsession can only go so far until it turns to corruption. (walk on the dark side, one must not, or doomed, one is )

i'm just saying that due to the sheer size of the population of the U.S., and the complexities in trying to make it happen, trying to force everyone to serve would be a huge mistake.....huge mistakes generally = a bad idea.

can you just imagine how much our taxes would increase in order to pay for an undertaking that huge? i'm sorry, but Uncle Sam screws us enough already, we don't need him taking any more out of our pockets.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HTX
In general they are also a more disiplined society with a much better education system.
I tend to disagree with that.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

can you just imagine how much our taxes would increase in order to pay for an undertaking that huge? i'm sorry, but Uncle Sam screws us enough already, we don't need him taking any more out of our pockets.
Well if our sorry *** elected officials would focus our tax $$ where it should be such as defense spending and security rather then wasting it on BS projects and giving it away to other countries then we could have a 5 million strong military that could crush the rest of the world put together. Instead we have a small military and we are stretched yet we waster our tax dollars on other ****.

Ok enough ranting by me. Rant out.

Last edited by brad8266; 07-06-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Launching!

when the recruiters started calling me when i was 18 i just asked them if having a full knee replacement at 16 was going to be a problem. never heard from them again. i do have a bad knee (10 surgeries for PVNS) but its not knee replacement bad..yet..
Old 07-06-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

You need to go to history class. The United States and their Volunteer Army is a minority. You need to look elsewhere around the globe. Israel and those "arab" countries are not the only ones that have mandatory service. Do you know the size of the Chinese Army? How about the South Korean? Mandatory military service is nothing new, and I think it would be a fantastic idea. And you are right, there are other ways to be loyal.... but what is the ultimate sacrifice? I would give my life so that America may live on. Greatest country on Earth, why wouldn't I?

And yes, national pride does have something to do with it. Ask any active military or veteran.... would you **** with the Israeli Military?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DSIM

And yes, national pride does have something to do with it. Ask any active military or veteran.... would you **** with the Israeli Military?
I wouldnt want to, they are the only country flanked on all sides by nations that want to exterminate them yet they still hold their own. There is a reason they are still around.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by brad8266
I wouldnt want to, they are the only country flanked on all sides by nations that want to exterminate them yet they still hold their own. There is a reason they are still around.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The IDF (Isreali Defense Forces) is one of the best funded military forces in the Middle East and ranks among the most battle-trained armed forces in the world.......
Israel = **** you up