Damn army people called me..

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Fiery Features Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
Do you like living here? Then earn the right to live here, defend the freedoms you have, someone else did it for you. If everybody felt like you do this place would really be screwed up. What would of happened 200 years ago if people thought the way you do now? Think about it, someone had to sacrifice for you to be where you are now. The welfare of the many is more important than the welfare of one. You are selfish, all you have said is me, me, me. Contrary to what you might think this country isn't all about you.
Oh give me a break! Just because I didn't run off to the military doesn't make me a bad person. I took care of my son as a single mother for years. I bent over backwards to make his life as good as it could be for him. I do my best to help children all over by donating my time and money when I can. I am working towards becoming a teacher so I can help them even more. Just because I think it is wrong to REQUIRE people to do something against their will doesn't make me the bad person. That makes me an American! Again, if you want to take peoples freedom away, what are you fighting for? To me, it has nothing to do with the military... it has to do with the concept of what you are wanting to do which is taking away the rights and freedoms of our citizens. Volunteers are so great because they, on their own, decide to lend their time to do the work that others don't want to do with nothing more than the good feelings you get from helping (which is a lot to some). The military is respected because all of these people, on their own will, sign up to defend this country for very little in return. That is what makes it so great. If you want to live in a society that forces people to do what they don't want to, then you are in the wrong place.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zangel
You can't teach someone by making a law that requires them to do something that they don't want to do. By forcing people to go to war, they will ultimately turn against this country.... not learn to love it and respect it. Since we are making all of these laws "for their own good" why don't we make other laws that require everyone to speak English since that is the "official language" of America. We should throw anyone speaking another language into jail so they can learn to respect our ways. I don't think anyone who is on welfare is being very responsible. We should just take all of that away so they can learn to take care of themselves and if they don't make it .... oh well, not our problem! You have to earn your own money to make it in this country. Not everyone does their part, but why is that just cause to punish everyone? So, because one person goes into a school and shoots it up, does that mean we should make all guns illegal? In order to solve the illegal drug problem in the US, should we require all citizens to sign up for a drug program once a year? Obviously that sounds ridiculous. Just because people don't sign up to be in the military doesn't mean they don't respect this country and haven't earned the right to be here. Some people volunteer to help the homeless, some people donate to the local children's hospital, some people go to college and become doctors, some people go into the military and fight our wars, some people go into office to make our laws, some people become police officers to protect our citizens, some people become teachers to teach our children. Most people do their part because they respect this country and work to protect our freedoms in different ways. Some people just don't care and do take advantage of the system. You can't change that no matter what you do... making people sign up for the military would only add fuel to the fire.
why do you equate "requiring everyone to do 2 years active duty" with "forcing people to go to war"?

Serving in the Armed Forces is not punishment. It is a privilege. I understand the point you are trying to make (don't agree with it, but I do understand it), but that comment really bothers me. Serving your country does not make you resent anything. It makes you understand how good you actually have it, living in this country. It makes you understand Honor, and Respect, and Duty, and Personal Responsibility, and Self Sacrifice, and Family.

Once again .. I will say that it is not forcing anyone. Why should the price of freedom only be shouldered by a few?

24 years ago every able body served. There was not mass hysteria, or a great civil uprising, or mass exodus to another country by the youth of America. Our country was proud, and strong, and, btw, much better perceived throughout the world than it currently is.

Personally, I don't think bringing the draft is the correct answer. One of the first answers would be to pay the men and women of our armed forces a fair wage.

In my opinion, this country would be a much better place if everyone served. Those of us who have served, or are currently serving understand why I feel that way.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by woswill
The guy calls telling me about how im like the "1st round 1st pick" and i can get into any field i want since i scored high on the asvab, i tell the guy i plan on going to college after high school. He starts telling me about all they have to offer and ****..I tell him ya..i plan on going to college, if i change my mind ill let you know trying not to be rude. He asked if we wanted to meet somewhere to talk about it and i was like no thx..

Those guys are persistent..
Many years ago I went through a similar situation. I told them I was not interested nor was I able to meet at the recruiter's office. I guess he did not understand.

A few nights later I come home from work and who was sitting in my living room? In full dress. Surprise! It's a marine recruiting Sargent. Nice ******* uniform! But I still said no thanks.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Fiery Features Director

I do understand what you are saying and I appreciate anyone who chooses to go into the military for whatever reason. I respect those who offer their time to fighting for what this country is all about. For those who do choose to sign up, I agree that they should receive a higher compensation equal to the job they are signing up for. I agree that I don't know how the military works because I never really looked into. Like many others, that is not something that I wanted to go into just as many people don't have an interest in teaching (like me). We are all different and I am glad to hear that you see your duty as a privilege. That definitely makes me feel comfortable knowing that the people fighting on our side see it as such a high honor. Yet another reason why I like it being a choice and not required. Knowing that everyone on our side WANTS to be there is wonderful! I have nothing against the military and have the most respect for those people. I'll just end it there because I know everyone has their own opinions and thoughts. No need to argue about it. I'm glad you see my point of view as I see yours...
Old 07-06-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

germany also breeds great dogs...
Old 07-07-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HTX
German citizens are far more loyal to thier coutry than US citizens are.
i think just about EVERY country's citizens are more loyal to their country than US citizens. but of course if you ever try to reason with one of those 'i hate america, we're the worst country' people and suggest that they move elsewhere, they always have some reason why they cant/wont.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talking

dont do it or you will end up like this ARMY GUY,clueless and thinking hes having a good time
Old 07-08-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

You can't teach someone by making a law that requires them to do something that they don't want to do. By forcing people to go to war, they will ultimately turn against this country.... not learn to love it and respect it. Since we are making all of these laws "for their own good" why don't we make other laws that require everyone to speak English since that is the "official language" of America. We should throw anyone speaking another language into jail so they can learn to respect our ways. I don't think anyone who is on welfare is being very responsible. We should just take all of that away so they can learn to take care of themselves and if they don't make it .... oh well, not our problem! You have to earn your own money to make it in this country. Not everyone does their part, but why is that just cause to punish everyone? So, because one person goes into a school and shoots it up, does that mean we should make all guns illegal? In order to solve the illegal drug problem in the US, should we require all citizens to sign up for a drug program once a year? Obviously that sounds ridiculous. Just because people don't sign up to be in the military doesn't mean they don't respect this country and haven't earned the right to be here. Some people volunteer to help the homeless, some people donate to the local children's hospital, some people go to college and become doctors, some people go into the military and fight our wars, some people go into office to make our laws, some people become police officers to protect our citizens, some people become teachers to teach our children. Most people do their part because they respect this country and work to protect our freedoms in different ways. Some people just don't care and do take advantage of the system. You can't change that no matter what you do... making people sign up for the military would only add fuel to the fire.

I cant believe I read this. Not very well thought out.

#1-Serving in the military automatically means you are going to war? I was in the military, and I did not go to war. Not very many had before 9/11. Think about the last great military altercation... that would be the 1st gulf war. So there was a 12 year span where the vast majority of the military did nothing.

#2- Illegal to speak any other language than English? Thats ignorant, we are talking about doing 2 years of military service. Do you know what that would mean for the poor people of America? It would give them a chance, they would earn some money... and then get college paid for. What is so wrong with that? We wouldn't need to tell people that welfare was canceled, it would virtually disappear.

#3- Everyone would still be able to do whatever the hell they want after they serve. We are not trying to make this Communist Russia for God's sake. People act like this would be the end of America as we know it.

Anyone ever heard of the Greatest Generation? In case you havent, it was the generation of men and women that served in WW2. There is a saying that I heard last night, "Never before was so much owed to so many for the preservation of freedom on Earth." They saw it, they knew what was going on, and they still continued to fill the recruiting stations.

Ask not what your Country can do for you, ask what you can do for your Country
Old 07-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Fiery Features Director

Originally Posted by DSIM
I cant believe I read this. Not very well thought out.

#1-Serving in the military automatically means you are going to war? I was in the military, and I did not go to war. Not very many had before 9/11. Think about the last great military altercation... that would be the 1st gulf war. So there was a 12 year span where the vast majority of the military did nothing.

#2- Illegal to speak any other language than English? Thats ignorant, we are talking about doing 2 years of military service. Do you know what that would mean for the poor people of America? It would give them a chance, they would earn some money... and then get college paid for. What is so wrong with that? We wouldn't need to tell people that welfare was canceled, it would virtually disappear.

#3- Everyone would still be able to do whatever the hell they want after they serve. We are not trying to make this Communist Russia for God's sake. People act like this would be the end of America as we know it.

Anyone ever heard of the Greatest Generation? In case you havent, it was the generation of men and women that served in WW2. There is a saying that I heard last night, "Never before was so much owed to so many for the preservation of freedom on Earth." They saw it, they knew what was going on, and they still continued to fill the recruiting stations.

Ask not what your Country can do for you, ask what you can do for your Country
Does not automatically mean you are going to war but at this moment in time war would be a very likely case. We also don't know what is ahead. Yes, making a law to demand people to speak English would be ignorant just like making a law to require people to sign up for the military would be ignorant. You speak as if this would be the greatest thing for poor people, but what exactly is keeping these poor people from signing up right now? They choose to live the way they do and the opportunity to sign up for the military is always there. You aren't giving them a way out because that option is already available at this moment. The difference is that you would rather make people do it instead of giving them the option to do it. You can argue all you want but it still boils down to making adults do something against their will. You act like serving in the military is the only good thing that someone can do for their country....
Old 07-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Banned

You act like serving in the military is the only good thing that someone can do for their country....

Can I ask what you do for the greater good of the country? Im not saying you dont or anything I just wanna know exactly what you do?
Old 07-08-2007, 02:42 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

are you guys aware that only 20 % of the Army jobs out there are combat?
Navy hardly ever see battle and Air Force is DEEP into safe territory.

Marines are another story.

Most people in the military, even right now, have never been in actual combat.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

I think everyone serving would be a good idea. Having so many new ppl in and non-careerist officers in would be good for the military. New ideas may finally give us the impetus to move out of 2GW and quit fighting like we are in the Civil War. Our enemies are fighting a 4GW against us. Too many careerists = don't rock the boat.

W
Old 07-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Fiery Features Director

Originally Posted by GTO JIMMY
Can I ask what you do for the greater good of the country? Im not saying you dont or anything I just wanna know exactly what you do?
Currently I am studying to become an elementary teacher. In the past I have volunteered at schools, hospitals, nursing homes, and shelters. I have donated time and money to different children's hospitals and cancer centers. For 2 years I helped build homes for Habitat for Humanity and assisted with many food and toy drives. For several months I was a part of a local volunteer organization that gave time to cleaning up the community by painting over graffiti, cleaning up school playgrounds, picking up trash off the roads, planting trees and cleaning up homes for elderly people. After our city was hit with a huge flood, I helped strangers pull carpet, move furniture, brought them food and water, etc... I even offered to take gas out of my own car and give it to strangers when the city ran out. I always enjoy helping those in need and I wish I could do so much more. I'm not a heartless person and I don't expect anything from the people I have helped. In fact, those that know me would probably say that I am one of the most caring people they have ever met. I can't leave a stray dog stranded on the side of the road. I can't pass a homeless person without coming back to offer them food or whatever else I can provide. Of course I can't bring them home because Brian would kill me but I do what I can.

Again, I may not understand everything about the military but at this point in time I just don't think it would be right. I might agree with your plan if we were a smaller country with greater stability and not involved in world conflict.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Banned

Currently I am studying to become an elementary teacher. In the past I have volunteered at schools, hospitals, nursing homes, and shelters. I have donated time and money to different children's hospitals and cancer centers. For 2 years I helped build homes for Habitat for Humanity and assisted with many food and toy drives. For several months I was a part of a local volunteer organization that gave time to cleaning up the community by painting over graffiti, cleaning up school playgrounds, picking up trash off the roads, planting trees and cleaning up homes for elderly people. After our city was hit with a huge flood, I helped strangers pull carpet, move furniture, brought them food and water, etc... I even offered to take gas out of my own car and give it to strangers when the city ran out. I always enjoy helping those in need and I wish I could do so much more. I'm not a heartless person and I don't expect anything from the people I have helped. In fact, those that know me would probably say that I am one of the most caring people they have ever met. I can't leave a stray dog stranded on the side of the road. I can't pass a homeless person without coming back to offer them food or whatever else I can provide. Of course I can't bring them home because Brian would kill me but I do what I can.

Again, I may not understand everything about the military but at this point in time I just don't think it would be right. I might agree with your plan if we were a smaller country with greater stability and not involved in world conflict.
Well you sound like a very noble person, you have my respect 100%. I just wish the other 99% of typical americans would act the same way.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

You speak as if this would be the greatest thing for poor people, but what exactly is keeping these poor people from signing up right now?

Addresses and high school education (or lack there-of). Gotta have both to join. So the opportunity isn't there for everyone like we may think. A lot are also hampered by their criminal records.

Also, in this day... 8 out of 10 poor people don't want to work for what they got. The hand outs are good for poor people with 8 kids.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Fiery Features Director

Originally Posted by DSIM
Addresses and high school education (or lack there-of). Gotta have both to join. So the opportunity isn't there for everyone like we may think. A lot are also hampered by their criminal records.

Also, in this day... 8 out of 10 poor people don't want to work for what they got. The hand outs are good for poor people with 8 kids.
So, you can't get into the military if you have a criminal record? That seems backwards to me. Couldn't the military be a good eye opener for those people? If you want to teach discipline and respect to anyone, shouldn't you start with the criminals? I also don't understand why you have to have a high school degree or an address. Although, when I volunteered in a shelter, many of the homeless people used that as their address so an option is available. You would also be surprised how many homeless people did graduate. I have heard some really sad stories but most of them don't start until early adulthood. I can say that if military service became a requirement, the above rules would have to change. Otherwise, we would see an increase in criminal activity and more high school drop outs.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

So, you can't get into the military if you have a criminal record? That seems backwards to me. Couldn't the military be a good eye opener for those people? If you want to teach discipline and respect to anyone, shouldn't you start with the criminals? I also don't understand why you have to have a high school degree or an address. Although, when I volunteered in a shelter, many of the homeless people used that as their address so an option is available. You would also be surprised how many homeless people did graduate. I have heard some really sad stories but most of them don't start until early adulthood. I can say that if military service became a requirement, the above rules would have to change. Otherwise, we would see an increase in criminal activity and more high school drop outs.
Depending on the crime, usually anything with a weapon, you cant get in.

Thats what I like about it. No matter what, you are going to serve. Rich, poor, black, white, red, green..... Rich kids will still have their advantages when they get out, but those that started out less fortunate have a fighting chance at life. Of course you would have to do away with the education and criminal record clause, but I too see that as a good thing.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by regorih383
dont do it or you will end up like this ARMY GUY,clueless and thinking hes having a good time
AWESOME!!!!!