Need to vent about machine shop!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:34 AM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't blame you. If he did that to me, I'd already be on my way to get my stuff. RPM in Lewisville speaks highly of him, but Lone Star in Dallas doesn't. *shrug* His work has been good enough for my newbie rebuild.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Trevor johnson, the guy doing my head work, speaks very highly of him to, but I no longer recommend him
Old 07-19-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

take that **** to performance auto supply in mesquite. your just doing simple stuff. they have done what your asking done for me with no hassle last month. oh and they turned it around when they said it would which is a plus.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 69gto96z
Trevor johnson, the guy doing my head work, speaks very highly of him to, but I no longer recommend him

lol you think. i remember when i needed some work done after blowing up my ****. watt told me to bring him my heads/they were damaged(ringland lifted) and then he would quote me on a new short block along with the heads. I just wanted a quote for the short block. lol. never gonna use the guy for anything.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:15 PM
ino
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by red90cobra
take that **** to performance auto supply in mesquite. your just doing simple stuff. they have done what your asking done for me with no hassle last month. oh and they turned it around when they said it would which is a plus.

When I stayed in mesquite,all i heard was good things about that shop.Plus he use to stay on my street.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went and picked it up, the dude was a *****. Told me "yeah you better just go ahead and get it, I dont mess with junk, I only do high dollar stuff and I really didnt wanna do it in the first place". Wow, I wish he would of said that in the beginning, now 10 days I needed for build time are gone. Oh well, I took it to a guy who a co-worker of mine's dad grew up with. His son now runs the business. They have been into the racing scene for 50+ years, build a lot of stock car motors. Told me no later than Tuesday, maybe tomorrow. He is doing my block and heads, and doing it for $200 cheaper than Watt/Trevor Johnson. Trevor wanted 300 bucks for a head rebuild, with me providing the springs...This guy seems a LOT more honest, and I enjoyed talking to him. He explained everything, told me he would call me if he had any problems, and if he had to do anything else. Also told me the price is what it is, it wont change when I go to pick it up. Seemed very honest, had his son working there, doing pidly work, like cleaning and what not. The guy is also a volunteer fireman, which tells me something about his character, that he is not in everything for the money, said he will build a $50 motor or a $5000 motor, its all business to him, and that is his job, so the more business he gets, the better. I will keep everyone updated on the status. Thanks for helping me make the decision to get it out of Watts shop, oh and btw, I highly recommend NOT using Watt.

Edit: Also, a friend dropped his shortblock off at Watts a few days ago, when I pulled up, Watt had left it sitting outside, uncovered the past few days. He obviously appreciates ALL his business...
Old 07-19-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad I wasnt the only one to tell you to go get your stuff. I had a guy take for ever to look at my block, then once he did, he was hounding like it was my fault.

Anyway, what was originally a 300-700 quote ended up costing me $1300 in the long run. I wish I would have pulled the block out of the shop that I dealt with much earlier, and just eaten the $300 deposit.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Launching!

I went and picked it up, the dude was a *****. Told me "yeah you better just go ahead and get it, I dont mess with junk, I only do high dollar stuff and I really didnt wanna do it in the first place". Wow, I wish he would of said that in the beginning, now 10 days I needed for build time are gone. Oh well, I took it to a guy who a co-worker of mine's dad grew up with. His son now runs the business. They have been into the racing scene for 50+ years, build a lot of stock car motors. Told me no later than Tuesday, maybe tomorrow. He is doing my block and heads, and doing it for $200 cheaper than Watt/Trevor Johnson. Trevor wanted 300 bucks for a head rebuild, with me providing the springs...This guy seems a LOT more honest, and I enjoyed talking to him. He explained everything, told me he would call me if he had any problems, and if he had to do anything else. Also told me the price is what it is, it wont change when I go to pick it up. Seemed very honest, had his son working there, doing pidly work, like cleaning and what not. The guy is also a volunteer fireman, which tells me something about his character, that he is not in everything for the money, said he will build a $50 motor or a $5000 motor, its all business to him, and that is his job, so the more business he gets, the better. I will keep everyone updated on the status. Thanks for helping me make the decision to get it out of Watts shop, oh and btw, I highly recommend NOT using Watt.

Edit: Also, a friend dropped his shortblock off at Watts a few days ago, when I pulled up, Watt had left it sitting outside, uncovered the past few days. He obviously appreciates ALL his business...
Where's his winning comp eliminator motor? Where's his winning ASA motor, Pro Stock, Pro Mod, IHRA Pro Stock, etc? Didn't think so...
Old 07-20-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TATER
Where's his winning comp eliminator motor? Where's his winning ASA motor, Pro Stock, Pro Mod, IHRA Pro Stock, etc? Didn't think so...
What do you mean? Are you talking about Watt or my new guy? All I said was he has been around racing his whole life and he mainly does stock car stuff, you didn't have to come back with a reply like that...
Old 07-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Didn't mean to quote your whole post. All I meant to post was this:
Told me "yeah you better just go ahead and get it, I dont mess with junk, I only do high dollar stuff and I really didnt wanna do it in the first place".
To me, it's sad to hear that from an engine builder. I wasn't talking about the new guy, I wish you the best of luck with him, it sounds like he's really trying to help you out.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To say Watt is eccentric in a bit of an understatement. Not a bash... merely a personal observation.

I live in Rowlett and offered to take some parts over there for a shop who was having him do some head work as it was not that far out of my way compared to their drive.

While I was there talking to him he started playing air guitar.. in the middle of a technical discussion.

Things that make ya say Hmmmmm.

g
Old 07-20-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TATER
Didn't mean to quote your whole post. All I meant to post was this:

To me, it's sad to hear that from an engine builder. I wasn't talking about the new guy, I wish you the best of luck with him, it sounds like he's really trying to help you out.
Sorry, misread it, now that I think about it, I understand your post. I would like to re-tract my previous statement in my last post. Wish I lived closer to where you are, I would give you a try.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
To say Watt is eccentric in a bit of an understatement. Not a bash... merely a personal observation.

I live in Rowlett and offered to take some parts over there for a shop who was having him do some head work as it was not that far out of my way compared to their drive.

While I was there talking to him he started playing air guitar.. in the middle of a technical discussion.

Things that make ya say Hmmmmm.

g
Yes, he is very strange, I cant believe I even left my block there, after the way I saw him treat it. He just threw it on the ground, in the rocks, and kinda drug it around. I should have lodaed it back up and taken it away right then. Hes a douche, and I hope he goes out of business, or gets his *** whooped...
Old 07-21-2007, 11:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, he is very strange, I cant believe I even left my block there, after the way I saw him treat it. He just threw it on the ground, in the rocks, and kinda drug it around. I should have lodaed it back up and taken it away right then. Hes a douche, and I hope he goes out of business, or gets his *** whooped...
Anytime you get a bad vibe from a shop or any person you are doing business with it is best to take the high road and politely bail out! At the end of the day you shouldn't feel like you are bothering someone when you are paying them for a service... it's that simple. If you aren't being treated with the respect anyone else deseves load up and split.

There is absolutely no reason to treat any customer better or worse than another. Only the most arrogant, egotistical guys pull that **** and there is no reason for it, none. Regardless of how good their work is...

g
Old 07-21-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

id kick his ***, and then take my stuff back and not pay anything.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like you way of thinking!

Originally Posted by 94TRANS
id kick his ***, and then take my stuff back and not pay anything.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

haha thats how i do.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I grew up in the same neighborhood as watt. VERY strange family. His mom was a teacher and his dad was a professor? I think. They had the trashiest house on the block. They started to reroof their house back in 90? just finished it up last year. A whole stack of shingles stayed up on the roof for all those years!!!LOL They still have some old cars...55 chevys and some 30's fords. Watt was always cool just the kind of guy who was sooo smart and you would have thought he was.