Deep sea fishing tips??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:16 AM
Mustang Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys! Thanks for all the tips! I'll give it a go....

I love fishing but I've only been on lakes (bass fishing mostly) and out to Galveston (pier and jetty fishing)....

I'll let you guys know what happens...
Old 09-16-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how far out is this trip going?

when i was younger, i used to go deep sea fishing off the coast of gloucester massachusetts (ever see the movie "the perfect storm"? thats where this is). we'd go out about 30-35 miles. it would take 2 hours to get out, 5 hours of fishing, and 2 hours to get back. 9 hours on a boat is a long *** time!!! i took dramamine every time and got sea sick every single time except for once.... i kept going back though!!

honestly though, i think the key is to keep your mind occupied while driving out to the fishing spot. if you just sit there and watch the boat go up and down, you're doomed!! and dont try to sleep, cuz then your body and mind is just dwelling on that motion. just walk around and talk with your friends and what not. i also hear that ginger ale helps calm your stomach. if you get sick on a trip like that, its 9 hours of dry heaving!!

what kind of fish is off the coast of houston? in boston, its mostly cod and haddock. our record was when my dad got a 48lb cod!!
here is the fleet: http://www.yankeefishing.com/
Old 09-16-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

we went to port aransas and we caught 1 fish and the whole boat caught 5 it sucked we got screwed bad.... and i took dramamine work fine
Old 09-16-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im in the coast guard in port aransas im on a boat every day my best advise is to not think about it at all if you do you are doomed no matter what you do or take also like a few guys said look at the horizon dont focus on a single object also drink plenty of water and stay outside dont go where it is hot inside if you take dramamine it will make you tired also before you go look at the weather see what the sea state is going to be for that day go to www.noaa.gov and look up your location hope some of this will help you out. Just have fun and good luck
Old 09-22-2007, 03:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

**** it, just eat a TON of shrimp right before you go out, and pray that you do get sick....then when you puke over the side, the chum will attract the fish!!!!
Old 09-22-2007, 09:33 AM
8 Sec Tuner

Originally Posted by red01z28
im in the coast guard in port aransas im on a boat every day my best advise is to not think about it at all if you do you are doomed no matter what you do or take also like a few guys said look at the horizon dont focus on a single object also drink plenty of water and stay outside dont go where it is hot inside if you take dramamine it will make you tired also before you go look at the weather see what the sea state is going to be for that day go to www.noaa.gov and look up your location hope some of this will help you out. Just have fun and good luck

You guys do a great job out there! We go out whenever seas are 2 feet or less. I will run my single engine boat 30-45 miles offshore. Its nice to know if I get in a jam I can radio for help!
Old 09-22-2007, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

i would say go on a larger boat not smaller beacue the larger the boat the smother the ride and the less rocking you are going to do... also they make the seasick patches as far as i know they work pretty well... um I go at least 6 times a year lots of fun... try to buck it with capt johns or galveston party boats, for places in galveston.. both have like 80 ft cats... and they are really smooth and nice.. or you can go to freeport to capt eliots his boat is 135 ft... really nice and clean... extreemly smooth ride and he gets you out fast..