Deep sea fishing tips??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 09:47 AM
Mustang Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deep sea fishing tips??

I may be taking a fishing trip offshore and was wondering if anyone that has been can give me some tips????
I don't want to be sick the whole time and wanted to know what I can take to prevent seasickness???? I've never been so I don't know if I will get sick but I don't want to take a chance....

I saw an episode of Mythbusters and the guy took ginger pills????? anyone try that?? LOL!

<--- NO
<--- YES!!!

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

i have never gone...but i would not mind going...i bet u are going to have a good time
Old 09-15-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

Havent tried the ginger pills, but I would trust Mythbusters on that.

My only tip.... dont get too wasted the night before... and make sure you have plenty of beer (if they allow that sort of thing).
Old 09-15-2007, 10:20 AM
11 Second Club

take dramamine the night before your trip. then again the morning of your trip. you won't get sea sick. seasickness is easy to prevent, but once you get it, you stuck with it till you hit land.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Book your trip on a smaller boat that only takes out 4-6 people as opposed to the larger ones that cram you in like sardines, with 50 or more people. The smaller charters cost more money, but are really worth it, and yes, do not get drunk the night before and you got to eat something the morning that you go. There’s a really good outfit that puts out in Freeport:
http://dodablu.com/index.html
I highly recommend them if your going to go, they will put you on the fish. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jeenis
take dramamine the night before your trip. then again the morning of your trip. you won't get sea sick. seasickness is easy to prevent, but once you get it, you stuck with it till you hit land.
Best plan for you Paul.

I on the other hand have never had a problem. It is easy to avoid if you never think about it. Seriously.

Enjoy your time out there, put on some sun screen and reel in the big one! It is a blast!
Old 09-15-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

What Jeenis said will work.
Also if you have a family DR. have him or her call in a patch for ya.
Put in on the night before.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wimps and your medicine.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

If something big bites, Hold on. Smoking weed helps so I've herd.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting high does help, also being buzzed or mildly drunk helps as well. Best thing to do is take a dramamine pill an hour before you leave and one more right before you leave.
I used sail in Cali when I lived there and learned all the tricks. The best prevention of it happening is knowing why it happens-
Your equilibrium is sensing gravity changes, so it tries to tell your body to compensate, however at the same time, your eyes are seeing things rocking around and moving. This causes your brain to freak out, say danger to the manifold and causes you to upchuck. Looking at the horizon helps, your eyes are focused on a fixed object, and basically lets your equilibrium take over your bodily functions. The best thing to do is not to fight the swaying and rocking, let your body move with it. The reason dramamine, getting drunk or getting high helps is because it mellows your body out, or makes you tired, so you have less energy to fight the motion. Worst place to be on a boat is below deck.
If you do get sick, go as far back in the boat as possible, sit down and just stare at the horizon. Most people who get sick dont recover very quickly. if you do, you will more than likely be sick the entire trip. Best thing to do if you do get sick is drink a soda or beer. The carbonation will help settle your stomach..

Old 09-15-2007, 04:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Talk to Mikey at G-Force. They go out all of the time. If there are any tricks I am sure he can tell you. Just from what I hear with them drinking is the cure for all types of sickness out at sea

Amber
Old 09-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Okay here goes..I would take dramamine AT least a day before and the day of. But, if your gonna be sick just do it. The few times I have gone the Puker always hooked the biggest fish.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Taking dramamine a full 24 hours before hand isnt going to do anything for you. The 50mg tablets are only designed to last 8 hours
Old 09-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Well, that makes sense. Drink lots of water?
Old 09-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Grow some *****
Old 09-15-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

wear underwear! the last time I went off shore I didnt wear any ,my ***** beat together so much I threw up everywhere! No bullshit it gets ruff.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:25 PM
Launching!

Do the dramamine and if you still get sick tell them to pull up to the nearest rig and get out and stand on it for a few minutes until you feel better. I did that a couple of times and it makes you feel so much better.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:52 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraKiller02
Grow some *****

Well, i have only been sick one time, i was looking ahead piloting a boat, swaying left to right. Other than that just look at what you are doing down in the water and you will be fine.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1 KLR

I saw an episode of Mythbusters and the guy took ginger pills????? anyone try that?? LOL!

<--- NO
<--- YES!!!

Thanks!
Out in Guam, they give the Japanese tourist ginger on the fishing charters for sea sickness. I guess it is suppose to work. When the boat is stationery and your bottom fishing that is where people tend to get sick. When your trolling it is not too bad.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Simply don't think about it and if you start feeling queezy, hold on to the rails and move your body with the waves and stare at the horizon.

Sounds silly, but it worked for me.

If you can wait to eat after the trip, that helps also.