Trent green injury!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007 | 01:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tcr98taws6
It was not a chop block and in-fact the block was a legal block by NFL standards.

According to Jerry Markbreit, former NFL referee, "a chop block is a foul by the offense, in which one offensive player blocks a defensive player in the area of the thigh or lower, while another offensive player blocks the same defensive player high or above the waist."

In this situation, you had a 215 lb. player taking on a 315+ lb player and he did what he had to do within the rules of the game. He made initial contact just above the knee and was in-fact kicked in the helmet by the knee, proving the hit was not a low blow. No flag was thrown.

Until the rules are changed, I saw no issue with the hit.

Johnson acted like an idiot however screaming at a man laying motionless on the field.

Peter King shared this in his Monday column today. It is a series of text messages with Trent Green yesterday followed by King's thoughts:

Here's the exchange:

King to Green, 5:14 p.m.: "peter king here. just texting to wish you well and to say hope you come out of this okay.''

Green to King, 9:06 p.m.: "Will b ok. Not like lst yr. TG.''

King to Green: 9:08 p.m.: "hey -- how about johnson calling your block a malicious hit? feel better. peter.''

(And this is the one I found interesting.)

Green to King, 9:12 p.m.: "He outweighs me by over 100 lbs. Where shld I blk him? TG.''

The bottom line: The only way Green knew he had a chance to get Johnson on the ground was by taking his legs out. In the last few years, defensive linemen have railed against low blocks, feeling that blocks at the knee and below endanger their careers and should be banned. The league hasn't outlawed them despite the annual protests to make them illegal. Defensive players get enraged over this. Offensive players say, in essence, that if it isn't a clip, a defensive lineman should be able to be blocked like other players on the field. And the league has never been able to muster a three-quarters majority to get the block outlawed. Maybe this block will change things, but I doubt it.

F**k that and F**k the NFL rules, that was a chop block clear as day light. If he can't man up and tackle someone the correct way he shouldn't have even tried to block him. Trent could have ended that linemans career. If it were me and I got chop blocked liked that, I would have limped over and snapped that dude's neck on the stretcher.

LOL, wait until the Texans play against Green again, I can put money on it they are going to run somekind of blitz play and 1 of those Texans linebackers is going to put Trent on his back or take hime out the game.
Old 10-10-2007 | 01:32 PM
Launching!

the block was completely legal. green was out in front of johnson. johnson was running one direction and looking another. maybe he should be looking where he is running. johnson also defended his yelling at green after the game was over. maybe now he has changed his mind but he initially didnt. green did what any other considerably smaller guy would do.
Old 10-10-2007 | 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That was not a chop block it was a cut block.
Old 10-10-2007 | 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

NO FINE...that is all...