Engineering question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SiL3NtXWS6
Chem eng here..

No i do not think you could work 40 hours a week, do well in eng classes, and live.
Fixed.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Im in Mechanical Engineering at A&M
If you decide to switch consider
1. Going out more than one night a week is pretty much impossible
2. 90% of the time advisors will have you taking courses you don't even need
3. Sleep is a luxury
4. You will most likely not be able to understand your profs because of their accents
Theres alot more, but IMO an ME degree will be worth it in the end..
Old 10-13-2007, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are almost done I would stick with business. It is just such a well rounded degree, and you can do any thing with it.

Thomas
Old 10-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by red95ssclone
Im in Mechanical Engineering at A&M
If you decide to switch consider
1. Going out more than one night a week is pretty much impossible
2. 90% of the time advisors will have you taking courses you don't even need
3. Sleep is a luxury
4. You will most likely not be able to understand your profs because of their accents
Theres alot more, but IMO an ME degree will be worth it in the end..
What year are you, i dont think i've seen you around.

William
Old 10-13-2007, 05:41 PM
LS7 Member

Chem eng here..

No i do not think you could work 40 hours a week, do well in eng classes, and live a SEMI-sociable life.
ditto, and ChE is the way to go
Old 10-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Teching In

I have a Mechanical Engineering degree from Texas Tech. Mechanical Engineering covers a broad range and uses curriculum from multiple engineering disciplines. I graduated in 4.5 years, and the bank role is well worth the tough curriculum!!!!
Old 10-13-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Chem eng here..

No i do not think you could work 40 hours a week, do well in eng classes, and live a SEMI-sociable life.

I would agree. almost impossible to work full time and carry more than one or two classes a semester, especially in the upper levels. I worked 40 a week and carried 16 hours second semester of my junior year. Almost killed me.

Mech E here.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about working 40 hrs and taking 9 hours? I know it's up to me in the end, but i'm just wondering how tough the courses were and how you all managed it.

I really dont go out a lot, i have a gf though, but we dont go out a lot. If i do it, i might try to take my classes in two days, maybe monday and wednesday, and work the rest of the week. Any of you want to tutor for a little extra cash? Is UHs engineering program good? Because i know the business school is really good, they have lots of employment opportunities.

Those who graduated, did y'all work at all?

Last edited by osvaldo; 10-14-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

talk to Tony (nineball) he went through the ME program at UH. I believe he worked full time while doing it too.

I would say go with the engineering. you can allways do business with a ME degree.

Plus the pay is much better. you should not have a problem finding a job that starts out paying 70-80k with an ME degree.

I forgot to mention that I did not work when I got my degree.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tony, any input/advice?
How was the program at UH?
Old 10-14-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by osvaldo
Tony, any input/advice?
How was the program at UH?
probably best to pm or email him.

there is a forum on sedatstays up that you should post this in.

http://seatstaysup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12
Old 10-14-2007, 11:07 PM
LS7 Member

Am I the only person who laughs everytime they see the title?
Old 10-14-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UTEvo8
Am I the only person who laughs everytime they see the title?
I was just thinking the same thing...
Old 10-15-2007, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

HaHA!
Hey like i said I'm good at math, not so much grammar.
I'm always typing in a hurry, sorry
Old 10-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Launching!

Anyone who is in school or already graduated work full time while going to school?

Anyone here go to UH for engineering? Do y'all think its possible to work 40 hours a week and actually do well in the engineering classes?

I'm starting to really have second doubts about switching to this, but i know i dont want to do business. I work 40 hours a week in the morning, from 7-3. If UH doesnt offer any night courses then this is going to be impossible.

I go to UH for mechanical engineering, but I work at HCC so I tried to take as many classes as I could there because I get a discount (and the labs are WAY easier). I don't know if I could work 40 hours a week and still make it in my classes. I guess it just depends on the person though. UH usually does offer upper level ME classes in the evening. It changes every semester though because the professors don't always choose the same hours. Honestly, I changed my major twice (bought myself a lot more time in college, ugh)...the classes are hard, I'm not going to lie...but I know that in the end it will be worth it. You said you are good at math...that will make it easier for you. If you have to take 9 hours a semester, so what? Ten years from now its not going to matter and you'll probably be pretty damn happy with the money you make. Good luck!!

-Alexis
Old 10-15-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats true I'm in no real rush, i love the current job i'm in. Are your classes going to transfer from HCC to UH? How far into the program are you? Maybe we can meet up and talk one day at UH. I'm going to finish up this semester and next semester do calculus, chem, and one other course. **** ima end up killing myself. Wish me luck
Old 10-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Thats true I'm in no real rush, i love the current job i'm in. Are your classes going to transfer from HCC to UH? How far into the program are you? Maybe we can meet up and talk one day at UH. I'm going to finish up this semester and next semester do calculus, chem, and one other course. **** ima end up killing myself. Wish me luck
yes they transfered to UH. I talked to the dean of engineering before just to make sure. Take your calc and chem classes at HCC...and physics too, lol. MUCH easier.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry I didn't see this sooner =P

I am a junior in EE at UH and I'm going to tell you how many hours you can work while you attend UH engineering school: 0.0000000000 hours a semester.

No EE's work full time and take full time classes. All of my friends who have jobs take 6 hours of engineering school and get C-'s to get through to the next class.

Engineering school is serious **** and you don't get to do anything else.

It doesn't help that at UH everyone is a flat out nerd and while most people would be hanging out with their friends and or girlfriends these kids are up here studying till they get kicked out. That means you have to do as much work as them to keep up. The professors don't curve in EE either.

As for M.E. my friend is in ME he takes 15 hours a semester and works at starbucks on weekends. He has slightly more free time than me but he still spends most of his nights awake doing hw.

Tests at UH consists of 3 or 4 problems and you probably WILL NOT finish in the 3 hour time alloted. When you get to your Junior level classrooms get ready to spend 5 hours on one homework problem (they still assign you just as many as they did back in calculus when each problem took 2 minutes)

And you were looking at other schools but the only two schools that offer engineering are UH and Rice. All of the other schools say they offer engineering but they give you 2 years at their campus and then ship you over here for the real classes.

I know most of what I said applies to EE only but thats what I have experience in. The other majors have slightly less work (argument time) and those students work but they still don't work full time.

Also: since you are confused business or engineering you can take the 4 (probably 5) hellish years of engineering and then get your MBA. A lot of people do this and get management jobs and make big dollars while doing little engineering.

Last edited by 01camaro3.8; 10-15-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

**** every time someone post my decision sways towards the other direction, i really want to do it. I want the challenge, If i do it, i will definitely only do 9 hours. I'm in no serious rush, i want to finish dont get me wrong, but i'm not rushing.

Originally Posted by Slomaro
yes they transfered to UH. I talked to the dean of engineering before just to make sure. Take your calc and chem classes at HCC...and physics too, lol. MUCH easier.
Wait you can take ALL three Cal courses at HCC?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tests at UH consists of 3 or 4 problems and you probably WILL NOT finish in the 3 hour time alloted.
those were the best tests IMO. go for the most points per unit time. aka dont waste 30 min finishing the last part of a problem when its only worth a small ammount of points when you have one more problem you have not started yet.