Engineering question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by osvaldo

Wait you can take ALL three Cal courses at HCC?
Absolutely. You can take Linear Algebra, too. I would take Diff. Eq. or "Engineering Math" at UH, though.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm a Mech Eng at Texas Tech. The coursework is, indeed, very tough. First semester of the first year in and Calculus 1 is kicking my ***. I don't know how Calculus 2 is gonna be.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Once you complete the cal classes, do you use that later on in the engineering math classes? I dont want to take the classes just for the sake of passing them cause they're easy. Cause then ima be screwed later
Old 10-16-2007, 06:25 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry I was kind of ranting earlier lol ... I suggest you try it ... I was just trying to prove that you can't go into engineering school thinking you'll be working and taking a 15 hour courseload. The challenge is kind of satisfying in the sense that you think you're in the hardest semester that anyone could ever be faced with and then the following semester makes all the other semesters look like kindergarten. I'm a Junior and now I'm at school doing homework/labs/projects 14+ hours a day 5 days a week and I'm still not free on weekends . See I'm even posting on ls1tech at 6 am LOL.

ps. Newton: Cal 2 is usually the hardest math you'll take but its also usually curved. Cal 3 is easy as hell its just cal 1 applied to three dimensions.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by osvaldo
Once you complete the cal classes, do you use that later on in the engineering math classes? I dont want to take the classes just for the sake of passing them cause they're easy. Cause then ima be screwed later

You use calculus like addition and subtraction in engineering classes. They dont' even call it calculus they just throw it at you like its nothing. I did like you're talking about and passed and rode the curve in my math classes (cause math majors and science majors seem to get crazy *** curves) and then when I got to engineering classes (especially electromagnetics) it bit me in the ***. So yes please learn it now and you'll do a lot better later.

I especially screwed myself over by not learning diff eq.s we are using those every day in signals and systems and I'm lost as hell.

Last edited by 01camaro3.8; 10-16-2007 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engineering math is usually another term for calculus. IMO Cal 1, 2, and 3 are easy if you have a good pre-cal background. None of my classes have been curved.

Differential Equations will be one of the hardest math classes you take.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SiL3NtXWS6
Engineering math is usually another term for calculus. IMO Cal 1, 2, and 3 are easy if you have a good pre-cal background. None of my classes have been curved.

Differential Equations will be one of the hardest math classes you take.
Since I'm a physics major, I get to take Intro. to Partial Diff. Eq., Vector Analysis, and I'm choosing to take as an elective Intro. to Complex Analysis. Yes! I'm currently in Cal II. I've heard before that it's the most difficult out of Cal I-III, Linear Algebra, and Diff. Eq. We'll see, though.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:36 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

If Engineering was easy, everyone would have an Engineering degree. The fact is, it is VERY time demanding and requires full commitment to studying and doing your homework. While my business-degree buddies were out partying almost every night (4 out of 5 of them dropped from Eng) I was up to my nose in books each night. I worked 40-50 hrs per week on average, and went to school part time. It took me 7 yrs to finish, although I had a full time Eng job my last year (making $40K as a junior in college, back in 1996).

I put my social and car life on hold for a good four years, drove a shitbox Nissan and then a Ford Ranger, couldn't keep a girlfriend since they always wanted to party, and slept about 4-5 hrs per night MAX. Was it worth it? Hell yes, and I'd do it again. You can sacrifice the fun for a few years to be rewarded with the payoff for the rest of your life.

Another thing you should seriously look into is the Mechanical Technology degree at UH. The starting salaries are very close to Eng nowadays, and you can advance pretty well in Project Management with that degree also. It is much easier in math/calculus requirements, but provides solid fundamentals on Eng subjects. It is also one of the top 10 highest starting salaries, along with 8 other Eng fields.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Since I'm a physics major, I get to take Intro. to Partial Diff. Eq., Vector Analysis, and I'm choosing to take as an elective Intro. to Complex Analysis. Yes! I'm currently in Cal II. I've heard before that it's the most difficult out of Cal I-III, Linear Algebra, and Diff. Eq. We'll see, though.
I found cal 2 to be a review of Cal 1, with slightly harder problems. Cal 3 is a review of 1&2 with a few new concepts.

Vector analysis should be a breeze if you're a physics major. I am a physics minor.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SiL3NtXWS6
I found cal 2 to be a review of Cal 1, with slightly harder problems. Cal 3 is a review of 1&2 with a few new concepts.

Vector analysis should be a breeze if you're a physics major. I am a physics minor.
Yeah, I had just my second of four Cal II exams yesterday. I have yet to find out my grade. Hopefully, I did as well as I did on the first one. My professor joked about looking up integral tables in Cal III. I'm not sure how difficult the Partial Diff. Eq. class will be. I'm taking Intro. to Complex Analysis to prepare for graduate school. That class is a prerequisite for certain graduate classes. I was going to major in Civil Engineering but decided I wanted a more complete physics education. I honestly don't know yet what I want to do with the degree(s). I suppose if I wanted I could do some engineering work.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:43 PM
LS7 Member

Originally Posted by newton
I'm a Mech Eng at Texas Tech. The coursework is, indeed, very tough. First semester of the first year in and Calculus 1 is kicking my ***. I don't know how Calculus 2 is gonna be.
You need to step it up man. When I look back at the first 2 years of my program, they were a joke compared to what we do now. The workload is 4 times that of the first two years when you get into the major sequence courses. It's hard getting settled into college though.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Another thing you should seriously look into is the Mechanical Technology degree at UH. The starting salaries are very close to Eng nowadays, and you can advance pretty well in Project Management with that degree also. It is much easier in math/calculus requirements, but provides solid fundamentals on Eng subjects. It is also one of the top 10 highest starting salaries, along with 8 other Eng fields.
Cool Tony thanks for the advice I will definitely look into that. I agree I don't expect it to be easy, I know I'm going to be busting my *** for the next five years (if i do 9hrs a semester i should finish in 5 years) but I think I'm ready. I was bummed out at first that i still had five years to complete if i transfered over, but the way i see it, that's five years I have to save up and buy a house. So wish me luck everyone, I'm going to need it
Old 10-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Launching!

heck yes take calc I, II, and III at HCC. Easier and cheaper. I haven't taken III yet but I also heard (from my little brother, lol) that its easier than II. Find people (like here on ls1tech!) to study with, too. Next semester some of us should try to take some of the same classes. I hate doing labs/projects with people I don't know.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tony is this what you're talking about?

http://www.tech.uh.edu/Programs/Mech...Opportunities/

This is the degree plan...
http://www.tech.uh.edu/documents/200..._plan_METE.pdf

Is this career in demand? It's just new to me thats all I've never heard of it.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:43 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, that is the Mech Tech degree plan. Very similar in content to Mech Eng, but less calculus/design focused.

This should also inspire you:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/11/pf/c...ries/index.htm