Engineering question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 05:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engineering question...

i am currently a business major, but as my classes go deeper into their subjects I am realizing i do not like them. I dont think i would like working int his profession, and I've always been good at math, it just makes sense to me. I've done pre-cal in high school, and calculus my senior year, unfortunately i was never in class. in college i've done college algebra, finite, and business cal.

I'm just wondering were most of you got degrees and how challenging the courses were. I'm considering switching majors and this is what the engineering curriculum would be....

http://www.egr.uh.edu/me/undergraduate/?e=degreeplan

Thanks for any advice, I'm just worried that the math courses would be way too hard, oh and i work full time in the morning so i would probably only do three courses a semester. Did any of you use help books? Any advice or suggestion would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks again!

Last edited by osvaldo; 10-15-2007 at 06:28 AM. Reason: mispelled title
Old 10-12-2007, 07:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

IMO a buisness degree is the most well rounded degree that you can get, you can practically do anything with it, what is it that you don't like about it?
Old 10-12-2007, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

Hey i dont have my degree yet but im planning on getting my masters in aerospace... course are hard but if you do a little work they arnt to hard... lots of cal and physics but they are still somewhat fun..

I think alot of people are geting mechanical... i would say that and civil are the to engineering degrees that are most well rounded
Old 10-12-2007, 07:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02 WS-6
IMO a buisness degree is the most well rounded degree that you can get, you can practically do anything with it, what is it that you don't like about it?
You can't do engineering with a business degree, but you can do business with an engineering degree

In college, I remember lots of guys switching from the engineering college to go to business because the coursework was too tough. Just because you enjoy math doesn't mean you will enjoy engineering. I certainly use math on a daily basis, but engineering at the University level is about problem solving. It was certainly much more math intensive in college than it has been for me in application. In school, you will learn basic background info and a method for solving engineering problems. In the real world, you simply apply those skills depending on the specific discipline and industry you choose....

I doubt that UH will allow you to count your business math for Calc 1. I have no way on knowing if the math will be too hard for you. Its more advanced than any math course you have taken.

You may also want to consider the time. There isn't a whole lot in the curriculum that will overlap with business, meaning its a 127 hour program. I don't know how many hours you have currently completed, but I would expect that few if any will count towards an ME degree.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SilverSierra
You can't do engineering with a business degree, but you can do business with an engineering degree

In college, I remember lots of guys switching from the engineering college to go to business because the coursework was too tough.
that happened to alot of people, but it was usually the guys who were out everynight and had little to no study habits. if you really want to do it, go for it. just be prepared to apply your self and probably be there another 4 years. 4 year grads are few were few and far between in my program (marine engineering)
Old 10-12-2007, 09:13 AM
12 Second Club

Theres more to it than being good at math but that will help a lot. Id say try to talk to an advisor or something to see what would be involved. You didnt say exactly how far along you are right now but you have to decide if you think its worth it to switch or not.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm doing both right now, along with a math degree. I'm gonna be here for a while, lol.

7 weeks into school and my face is almost melting off.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kickassT/A
that happened to alot of people, but it was usually the guys who were out everynight and had little to no study habits.
I think its because they aren't dedicated to really wanting that particular degree. When those people fall behind they decide its too hard and give up. They are looking for an easy way out and to still make money.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Sex On Wheels

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Definitely agree with that. There are times in my major (ME) that it gets tough but for the most part, it really isn't anything that even a LITTLE studying can help. I'd say on average for my tests, I study a couple hours.

Also, being good in math isn't enough. Like I tell my friends etc, I used to really like math, and I'm very good at it. HOWEVER, to get by in engineering, you have to LOVE math it seems.

No matter what you choose, just make sure that it's what you want to do and it's something you're willing to work hard to accomplish.

William
Old 10-12-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by will69camaro

Also, being good in math isn't enough. Like I tell my friends etc, I used to really like math, and I'm very good at it. HOWEVER, to get by in engineering, you have to LOVE math it seems.
Most courses in the engineering curriculum are calc based. So even though you aren't in math class, you are doing math to derive and apply formulas and theory.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

It looks like the highest math you'll take is Intro. to Partial Diff. EQ. In my Physics plan, in addition to that course, I have to take Vector Analysis, and I'm choosing to take Intro. to Complex Analysis as an elective. Engineering is applied science. Look at the ME courses and see if any of those interest you. If they do, do some more research. A ME degree is a very useful and marketable degree, so is the CivE.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

i was never very good at cal. i passed all my calc based engineering courses but had to take cal 1 and 2 twice, lol
Old 10-12-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I've been at work and then running errands so i havent been on.

I dont like the whole debit this account credit this account and I/S, B/S, **** all that! I dont want to be sitting behind a fucken desk all day crunching numbers and making sure accounts match for some rich bastards who only get richer by I balancing accounts and making sure they are not getting ripped off by someone. It doesnt sound rewarding to me. And i first thought i wanted to do it because i do love math, i didnt say it at first cause it sounds weird but i love math. And the math we do in accounting is math i was doing in fourth grade. I understand the cal i've done, and i would rather spend two hours trying to solve some math problems than reading about T accounts and AJE. Like i said i've worked full time since i started college(4 years ago) so i really cant take a full 12 hours, I'm currently a sophomore but by next fall i would be a junior. This really sucks i know but i have to work, and i love my job so i dont want to quit. Maybe 30 of my credits would transfer towards engineering. So I'm looking at another four or six years if school. Which i dont mind. The counselor at school told me to do Cal 1&2, a chem course, and mechanics 1. I think i am going to transfer. Wish me good luck, and maybe those of you in the same field or those working towards similar degrees can help me out.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:39 AM
LS7 Member

The workload in engineering is much greater than that in business. Every semester gets harder, and you will spend several nights a week at the school after hours doing assignments. Tests in engineering are not just similar problems, or reproducing information. Every problem on every test is something totally new using the basic concepts that we've learned. Problem solving is the key in engineering. Engineering degrees open you up to much more than that of a business degree, but the time and effort to obtain the degree is much greater.

If you take the courses you mentioned and don't find them easy, I would consider something different. The courses only get harder, and the workload will only increase. When I look back at my first 2 years I laugh at how easy it once was. Working along with school is super tough. Do whatever you think you will be succesful at and enjoy. It's your future, so do it right.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:36 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad stuff: Engineering is not easy. I'm a "senior", as in, I have 90 hours, but I'm actually still doing junior level courses and I've got 3 more full semesters after this one. It's going to take me 9 full semesters to finish, and that's taking 16-17 hours per semester.

Good stuff: I have made about $46k doing one long semester and two summer semesters as a co-op, a total of 10 months. That experience almost guarantees me a job once I do graduate. I'll probably do one more summer co-op in '08, then graduate May '09.

You've got to be FULLY committed to doing it. You can't half-*** it, or your going to go down in flames. You've got to NETWORK with your fellow classmates and never turn down the opportunity to stay at the library 'till midnight the night before a test, then wake up at 6 and cram for 4 hours before the test at 10. You will take a whole new perspective to other classes (core classes). I am giddy as a school girl to have a History or Government class. That stuff is so mind-blowingly easy compared to some of the other stuff I have to deal with. If you read it enough times, you will make a 100%. You can read every page of a Thermo II book chapter 8 times and not have a f$%*ing CLUE as to what's going on.

/rant
Old 10-13-2007, 01:41 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

However....................... the professors know it's hard. They know that once you make it through the "weed out" classes of the first two years, you're probably a good student. The classes still stay hard, but it doesn't seem the same.

The syllabus in my Fluids and Thermo II class both say "Class average receives at least a B or better." Class average on the Thermo II test was a 60, I made a 70. I didn't do that great, but I'd probably have an A in the class if the semester was to end tomorrow lol.

*First post made it seem a bit too vicious lol....*
Old 10-13-2007, 01:55 AM
Sex On Wheels

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSierra
Most courses in the engineering curriculum are calc based. So even though you aren't in math class, you are doing math to derive and apply formulas and theory.
I know this, as I'm in almost all engineering classes right now

Agree with the co-op stuff. I've made 40+ myself with just semester and 3 summers

It's hard but worth it IMO.

William
Old 10-13-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone who is in school or already graduated work full time while going to school?

Anyone here go to UH for engineering? Do y'all think its possible to work 40 hours a week and actually do well in the engineering classes?

I'm starting to really have second doubts about switching to this, but i know i dont want to do business. I work 40 hours a week in the morning, from 7-3. If UH doesnt offer any night courses then this is going to be impossible.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do y'all think getting a degree in a community college is going to land you a job? I know HCC does civil and electrical engineering, they might do others, but i dont want to graduate from there and then not find a job
Old 10-13-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Chem eng here..

No i do not think you could work 40 hours a week, do well in eng classes, and live a SEMI-sociable life.