O2s SLOW TO RESPOND

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2s SLOW TO RESPOND

MY 98 Z28 keeps throwing the code O2s slow to respond......what is the dang deal, i have changed them 2 times .... long tubes no cats the rear O2s have sims....But the front 2 (these are the ones throwing the code) are the longer wired vett type.....bosh pn 13111....

HAS anyone had this problem????
Old 10-20-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

is it just throwing the code or does it stutter? I had a stuttering problem like it wouldnt want to accel. but then i unpluged my o2 then it work so i knew which one to replace.... we are also having the same problem with a friends car so if you find out let me know plz... thx.... i know its not much but just trying to share some info with some o2 problems i had maybe you can relate 2
Old 10-20-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by txh0tb0i972
is it just throwing the code or does it stutter? I had a stuttering problem like it wouldnt want to accel. but then i unpluged my o2 then it work so i knew which one to replace.... we are also having the same problem with a friends car so if you find out let me know plz... thx.... i know its not much but just trying to share some info with some o2 problems i had maybe you can relate 2
im working on it bro....... i have posted this on several forums still no response.....You would think this might be a common problem with long tubes... Hope its not just a problem with 98s
Old 10-21-2007, 12:26 AM
Staging Lane

I had the same exact problem about a week ago. Mine kept throwing some bank1 sensor 1 not being active/ slow response codes. Just go to NAPA and buy their oem(BOSCH) sensors and extend them youself that solved my problem
Old 10-21-2007, 12:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ULTX
I had the same exact problem about a week ago. Mine kept throwing some bank1 sensor 1 not being active/ slow response codes. Just go to NAPA and buy their oem(BOSCH) sensors and extend them youself that solved my problem
so how did you extend them yourself??? You cut into a brand new sensor...

i would hate to buy a new sensor and then have to cut it....
Old 10-21-2007, 01:38 AM
On The Tree

Does the SES light actually come on?

Hotboi - when you say stuttering, for instance if you're driving @ 60-65mph and you floor it and the RPM's shoot up, but it takes a few seconds for it to start moving like it should?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:02 AM
Staging Lane

The people at napa advise you to cut BEFORE the 02 sensors but its alot easier to cut and extend the sensor, i know i felt kinda bad to cut open that brand new sensor but it all went away after everything worked
Old 10-21-2007, 08:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks bro..... any chance your know what gauge the
O2 wires ARE...
Old 10-21-2007, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The particular sensors you bought aren't necessarily the solution. New sensor may cover up the problem for a while but it will probably come back. The code is getting thrown because you have longtubes and the O2s are responding slowly when the computer goes into closed loop. Its a common problem with 02s and longtubes since the sensor is moved away from its stock location and placed much further downstream. For some reason, the 98s seem to be more picky. You may also have an exhaust leak that is adding to the problem.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by txh0tb0i972
Yeah my went out and put a new one in and it still doesnt work!!!
Old 10-21-2007, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

check for exhaust leaks, i know i found a small leak on mine too
Old 10-21-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by DFWGrant
Hotboi - when you say stuttering, for instance if you're driving @ 60-65mph and you floor it and the RPM's shoot up, but it takes a few seconds for it to start moving like it should?
no when your just driving it just starts to hesitate...like sputtering...but when you floor it .... it goes away
Old 10-21-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

The thickness does not matter but i will do it for you if you want me to.. I used 18/4 on mine and i have plenty left.. just bring them by and I'll hook you up!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by joshtownsend
The thickness does not matter but i will do it for you if you want me to.. I used 18/4 on mine and i have plenty left.. just bring them by and I'll hook you up!!!
score one for the home team!!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SilverSierra
The particular sensors you bought aren't necessarily the solution. New sensor may cover up the problem for a while but it will probably come back. The code is getting thrown because you have longtubes and the O2s are responding slowly when the computer goes into closed loop. Its a common problem with 02s and longtubes since the sensor is moved away from its stock location and placed much further downstream. For some reason, the 98s seem to be more picky. You may also have an exhaust leak that is adding to the problem.
I got under the car on sunday and found 2 exhaust leaks!!!!!!!!!!!! Working on fixing them today....
Old 10-22-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good, hopefully new sensors and no leaks will have the car running good.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by my number 1 hater
I got under the car on sunday and found 2 exhaust leaks!!!!!!!!!!!! Working on fixing them today....
Exhaust leaks or cutouts???? I think cut outs are suppose to be there!!!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by joshtownsend
Exhaust leaks or cutouts???? I think cut outs are suppose to be there!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! Dude did u eat paint chips as a KID?????
Old 10-22-2007, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

If your car has been running rich the CO will cover the sensor and give it a slow switching syndrom. If you had someone with a scanner look at your Fuel Trim then it would be a lot easier to narrow down.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Problem fixed..... New stock O2s custom extended by Josh ( thanks Bro ) EXHAUST leaks also fixed.... No more problems......... SWEEEEEEEEEEET