Clutch woes.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007 | 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Clutch woes.

As a birthday present, my dad pulled the tranny to my car to fix the rear main leak that was all over the clutch, making it slip. This isn't the first time it's happened. I replaced the seal in March and cleaned the clutch of oil after it started slipping. I'm away at college, so this was a pretty badass treat for me.

Well we just put everything back together now, and it's still slipping, BAD. Looks like my RAM HD needs replacing, and I feel bad because my dad spent the last two weeks of his freetime working on my car and now it looks like it was for nothing, because the trans has to come out again for a new clutch. I gotta get this thing working right.

The HD was a good clutch, even after the first dousing of oil it got. Should I replace, or upgrade? Maybe a Textrilia or something?

Also, who does clutch installs in Houston? G-Force? 6 spds inc?
Old 10-27-2007 | 01:57 AM
Teching In

u go to smu right? think ive seen your car when i was visiting a buddy he has the black gt on cobras. If your intrested in a good clutch pm me. And ill get you jasons # at tdp and he can get you fixed up and many can vouch for his work.
Old 10-27-2007 | 03:41 AM
On The Tree

+1 on Jason
Old 10-27-2007 | 10:14 AM
Sex On Wheels

Pulling the transmission in these cars just gets easier every time you do it. I pulled mine out yesterday to rebuild the t56 (blew it at TWS). This time, taking my time I managed to pull the trans in a little over an hour. I say do it with your dad and spend a little quality time.

William
Old 10-27-2007 | 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

He did not waste any time bro.. dont think of it like that. +1 for letting him help you replace the clutch too... Quality time gets shorter and shorter as the years fly...
Old 10-27-2007 | 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL I was sad all week because he was working on my car and I wasn't. I totally would have been there but school doesn't care about my car. Class goes on...

Yeah I go to SMU. But the car is at my house, which is South of Houston in Pearland. I can't drive it all the way up there with the clutch like it is, so I need a shop in Houston to do it.

Does anyone have any experience with Textrilia?
Old 10-27-2007 | 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

ive got a mcloed twin disk that i love. the tex. clutches are also top notch items.
Old 10-27-2007 | 07:24 PM
FormerVendor

Just an FYI on clutches and brake linings as well. Both clutch discs and brake linings are made of a fibrous material, anytime they are exposed to oil, brake fluid or any other petroleum chemical that material will soak it up very similar to the way a sponge soaks up water. When cleaning the contaminated part it may appear to be dry, cleaned... but that is not true. The part will always and forever hold the fluid.

Obviously that does not hold true for the ceramic parts.

My recommendation would be to go with a factory LS7 / LS2 combination. We have had terrific success with those parts. We have several cars out there spraying on them with no problems. I recommend those parts because they are manufactured by the same peolpe who designed the clutch hardware for GM in the 1st place. LUK is the company and they make clutches for many, many new car manufacturers, their engineering and materials are second to none IMHO.

If it were a trailer car, then I would probably have a different recomendation. But for a street / strip combo... that's the clutch I would install.

Hope that helps.

g
Old 10-28-2007 | 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

See the thing is, is that my oil leaks are kinda squirly, so a ceramic clutch might not be a bad choice. If it gets covered again, I can just pull it and wash it off.