Salary to buy a new Z06

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depends.....

Are you single? Are you married? Have kids? How much are you making now? How much do you wanna make or what is your goal salary? How much is the Vette your wanting? How far and how much will you be driving this car? Insurance costs? This will all make a difference in the salary that will be required to comfortably afford this car. And thats not including maintenance.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would recomand on buying a house the value willl just keep going up, but the car value does go down but sometimes you just have to get it if you really want it. I've had mine for a year now and I would not give it up for nothing it's a car that you can drive like you want a GTO might be abble to go just as fast but it still does not have a Z06 badge or the looks.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jose Pena
I would recomand on buying a house the value willl just keep going up, but the car value does go down but sometimes you just have to get it if you really want it. I've had mine for a year now and I would not give it up for nothing it's a car that you can drive like you want a GTO might be abble to go just as fast but it still does not have a Z06 badge or the looks.
Z06>GTO all day long in every way.. I'm trying to get my budget in check so I can hopefully buy one within a year or two.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mike96z
depends.....

Are you single? Are you married? Have kids? How much are you making now? How much do you wanna make or what is your goal salary? How much is the Vette your wanting? How far and how much will you be driving this car? Insurance costs? This will all make a difference in the salary that will be required to comfortably afford this car. And thats not including maintenance.

Actually, I plan on being single, having no kids, hopefully making pretty good money with years of experience in my field, and having a decent house.

kids cost money and so do marriages. Divorces cost a lot too, so I figured I would beat all odds and stay single
Old 11-07-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting question and everyone has their own comfort level of liability vs. assets.

Let's get to the numbers in a second. First, most of us probably wouldn't be driving a new Z06 and parking it at our apartment complex. Rather, I would think that a person who could afford a new Z06 would probably have a nice home with a nice garage to park their car in. If I can afford a 75k super car I would prefer to live in a nice upper class neighborhood (home value >250ish). So, in order to afford that as well as the car, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I'd need to make >300k (living single) to afford the car comfortably. Or, I'd need to have made >200k/year for a while and have established myself for a while.

So yeah, more than I can afford!

Granted, I'm sure you could live at your parent's house off of a 40k income and figure out a way to buy the car, but I really can't imagine spending all of my wages to pay for a car while my parent's provide the rent.

I'm a pretty conservative guy, though. If you didn't put anything down on that car you're probably talking about a near 2,000 payment/month. Dayum!
Old 11-07-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jose Pena
Jose you're livin good man!
Old 11-07-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
I was just quoting fast and the furious...pal...

you sound like wildbill
brent was like 4 computers down from me posting

in the same under-grad comp lab
Old 11-07-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
brent was like 4 computers down from me posting

in the same under-grad comp lab
he should of just asked you so you could of slapped him and said it IRL

then Kenny could of called and said "Smoke em"
Old 11-07-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

he should of just asked you so you could of slapped him and said it IRL

then Kenny could of called and said "Smoke em"
yeah right! I would just slap tyler back. hahahahah

..i kid ...i kid
Old 11-07-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1 Brent
yeah right! I would just slap tyler back. hahahahah

..i kid ...i kid

did anyone else see Tyler convince the refs to throw the flag in the Nebraska game? It was baller.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Morbid
I know a lot about money management, thank you.

Let's say someone can afford to pay CASH for an '08 C6 Z06. Maybe they want to put 25% down and save the rest instead of blowing $70k on a "DEPRECIATING asset."

Works both ways.

I agree with that logic. Its stupid to try and put down as little as possible (LIKE $5,000) just because they let you. There is also a big difference in putting down $20K vs. $70K. For the $100K-$150K income guy that can afford the car, $70K isnt exactly chump change.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
I agree with that logic. Its stupid to try and put down as little as possible (LIKE $5,000) just because they let you. There is also a big difference in putting down $20K vs. $70K. For the $100K-$150K income guy that can afford the car, $70K isnt exactly chump change.
Why is that stupid? If you know how to invest, you can easily make 10% or more playing the stock market off that 70k (or 5k or whatever). If your credit is good, you can get great interest rates like 6% or lower. Which means you have a positive cash flow. Many people get rich doing that.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

more than you can afford, pal
F&F quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

did anyone else see Tyler convince the refs to throw the flag in the Nebraska game? It was baller.
the dude didn't know what to do :o.

you coming up for the weekend?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ncnumber8
Why is that stupid? If you know how to invest, you can easily make 10% or more playing the stock market off that 70k (or 5k or whatever). If your credit is good, you can get great interest rates like 6% or lower. Which means you have a positive cash flow. Many people get rich doing that.
Why is it people try and use examples that dont apply to the masses to attempt at making a point? If you are that great of a trader/investor, why work for a living? Why be confined to the middle of the road, normal, example that I used? What if chocolate covered nikes fell from the sky? That would be really cool huh.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Why is it people try and use examples that dont apply to the masses to attempt at making a point? If you are that great of a trader/investor, why work for a living? Why be confined to the middle of the road, normal, example that I used? What if chocolate covered nikes fell from the sky? That would be really cool huh.
That does apply to the masses. Most people can eventually cough up 5k for a down payment, but why if you can make 10% vs paying 6% off that 5k? Its not hard to do, nor to understand...

As far as investing vs working, I'm working on it...

And chocolate cover nikes? Not a bad idea. You should try it. You could make a million...
Old 11-07-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
the dude didn't know what to do :o.

you coming up for the weekend?
i wanna party
Old 11-07-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

more than you can afford, pal

HAHA love the fast and fictitious quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Its only money, and you can't take it with you..
Old 11-08-2007, 04:23 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
How i have lived my life for 34 years..........

May be why I am broke
The only way to live.