buying a car, titles in prev owners name, problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default buying a car, titles in prev owners name, problem?

The car im looking at was never put in the current owners name. He bought it a ~yr ago. He said he had the title and the bill of sale from the prev owner. What kind of problems can I run into if I buy it like this. could their be a lein on the car from the prev owner?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
The car im looking at was never put in the current owners name. He bought it a ~yr ago. He said he had the title and the bill of sale from the prev owner. What kind of problems can I run into if I buy it like this. could their be a lein on the car from the prev owner?
There shouldn't be a lien, Make sure he has the title and if it's signed by the previous owner and he has the bill of sell from the previous owner you should be good. You might have a problem if the material is dated though. Or you might have to pay a small penalty fee if it's dated for a while back.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
You need to make him go down and register the car in his name and pay the tax and registration fees. If not you will get nailed for the year of not having it registered or paying the taxes on it which is not cheap. I think they give you 20 or 30 days to register and pay taxes on a car bought form a private owner. Anything after that they charge a certain amount of money per day till it is paid.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are no penalties for being late if you are not driving the car, all
you have to tell them (if they ask) is that the car was not running.
You will need a title application signed to go with the title not a bill
of sale.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:57 AM
On The Tree

yeah you wont have to pay registration for the year it wasnt titled. be sure to tell them it wasnt running and make sure he didnt get any tickets in it for expired registration. ive done this twice now, and have not run into any problems as of yet.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:52 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCHammer
You need to make him go down and register the car in his name and pay the tax and registration fees. If not you will get nailed for the year of not having it registered or paying the taxes on it which is not cheap. I think they give you 20 or 30 days to register and pay taxes on a car bought form a private owner. Anything after that they charge a certain amount of money per day till it is paid.
That isn't correct. As long as you have a signed title and a bill of sale from the actual owner, you can register it in your name and pay sales tax on the car. It doesn't matter if the in-between guy never registered it. You simply say the car was inoperable and not used on the roads until you bought it.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

no...i didnt BUY the car till July of 07, ( i made payments over the course of a year )this wont be a problem. the Owner of the car signed the Bill of sale saying he is selling the car. i have the title and everything, i talked with the previous owner and he said he never reported anything, it will be as though the car was sold on November 10, 2007. You will NOT have to pay any fee's whatsoever, i had all this checked out this morning. Everything is good to go.

Exactly as nine ball says, there will be NO problem, i promise you.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Launching!

is it that 96 black z28 you posted? or did you finnaly step up to an ls1
Old 11-09-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
That isn't correct. As long as you have a signed title and a bill of sale from the actual owner, you can register it in your name and pay sales tax on the car. It doesn't matter if the in-between guy never registered it. You simply say the car was inoperable and not used on the roads until you bought it.

you do not need a bill of sale, you need the seller to sign the title application form. those are the only 2 things you need (title application form and title)

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/txdotefor...vletConfig.xml
Old 11-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Your good man.. That's exactly how it is with my Dad's vette sitting in the garage. We bought it from my cousin who bought it from another guy from the DFW area. My cousin never switched the title over into his name, still under the guy from DFW. The title is signed, but yet not dated.. Same with the bill of sale. All you have to do is say the car wasn't running at the time if it is dated. Good luck man..
Old 11-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Ugh. I wish the guy intrested in buying our car would understand that there is no problem with this. We bought one and I didn't like it so we are selling it but never had time to title it. Now i get to go waste the money to title it.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

One thing to look for is make sure the signatures on everything (bill of sale and title) match the typed name on the title exactly. If not you need to make up an additional form stating that the signed person is the same as the person on the title. Sounds dumb, but it happened to me in a similar situation and it was pain in the *** trying to get it out of the previous owner (who thought the title was transferred months before I bought it). For example if the typed name is kenneth and he signs ken they might make you do this.

Also, doesn't the seller have to sign an additional TX form?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

When is the bill of sale from? I have had to pay the late fee twice in my life because the previous owner bought the car and didnt register it. If the bill of sale from the original owner (the person listed on the title) is more than 30 days old, you will pay the late fees. If you can get a bill of sale from the person listed on the title dated within 30 days, you wont have to pay the late fees.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DSIM
When is the bill of sale from? I have had to pay the late fee twice in my life because the previous owner bought the car and didnt register it. If the bill of sale from the original owner (the person listed on the title) is more than 30 days old, you will pay the late fees. If you can get a bill of sale from the person listed on the title dated within 30 days, you wont have to pay the late fees.
you dont even need a bill of sale to titel a car. where did you pay these late fees?

i dont think i have ever ued the BOS to title a car. I have one but i have never shown it when titling a car. this is in Houston/harris county BTW

all you need is the title and the application form i linked to before. the seller has to sign both.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by aggiez28
you do not need a bill of sale, you need the seller to sign the title application form. those are the only 2 things you need (title application form and title)

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/txdotefor...vletConfig.xml
This is all you need, like said above. I have transferred titles to many vehicles.. About 4-6, and that is all I have ever needed.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I stated before and I believe that Aggie confirmed twice, you must
have a title signed and a title application to match, dates don't matter.
A bill of sale will do you no good at the tax office , they will not transfer
it without a Texas title application signed......................

Quick Reply: buying a car, titles in prev owners name, problem?