Is protection plan on Big Screen TV worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 12:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sroach20
my sony 38" flat panel was purchased in 1995. just dont buy crap and it will last. most of the time those warranties only give you like one year past the manufacturers warranty anyway. like the xbox 360, $50 for the circuit city warranty for three years, microsoft does a three year warranty against the three flashing lights. the three lights is what always happens to these things. yet some idiot will still spend the $50.
Sony TV's break too bud. I have put 2 in for repair myself. Funny thing is we don't get repairs on junk Tv's. Wanna know why? People just chunk them in the trash and go back to Wal-Mart to buy another one. We even refer people to buy another set sometimes when their current broken set it crap. If they try to leave it with us and we don't wanna keep it we charge 'em even more for disposal.

The smartest thing to do is negotiate the warranty cost into the price of the set. These retail sales folks get credit for packaging sales, not selling you the item. SO...Find out retail price of Tv, find out what all the applicable options you think you need, then take Tv price - options price and offer them about $50-$100 more than this total figure, if they don't budge call their competitor while in the store for same offer...it will work...my ex did it...you can do it!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cantalope Kid
Sony TV's break too bud. I have put 2 in for repair myself. Funny thing is we don't get repairs on junk Tv's. Wanna know why? People just chunk them in the trash and go back to Wal-Mart to buy another one. We even refer people to buy another set sometimes when their current broken set it crap. If they try to leave it with us and we don't wanna keep it we charge 'em even more for disposal.

The smartest thing to do is negotiate the warranty cost into the price of the set. These retail sales folks get credit for packaging sales, not selling you the item. SO...Find out retail price of Tv, find out what all the applicable options you think you need, then take Tv price - options price and offer them about $50-$100 more than this total figure, if they don't budge call their competitor while in the store for same offer...it will work...my ex did it...you can do it!
maybe your tvs break bud, but id like to see a vote on how many people have had a tv break in the first 4yrs they had it. ive had this sony since 95, the tv before was a mitsubishi that was purchased in 84. the mitsubishi is used as the xbox tv now.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Banned

maybe your tvs break bud, but id like to see a vote on how many people have had a tv break in the first 4yrs they had it. ive had this sony since 95, the tv before was a mitsubishi that was purchased in 84. the mitsubishi is used as the xbox tv now.
I'll stack a totum poll up in the alley by the dumpster of just your name brand (Sony) TV for you, okay? J/K Please realize I'm not calling your Sony, Mitsubishi, ect. set junk... I prefer Samsung/Sony currently myself. Its just the extra money spent on WHAT IF circumstances happening to your $1k+ Tv set aren't worth betting on someones war story 1984 Tv set. I have to admit we see less customer pay situations than we used, mostly warranty work now. With technology changing so rapidly I don't expect the purchase price or fees for repairs to do anything but increase. You'll still be able to get more Tv set for you money each year but consumer will ALWAYS want the next best thing which means more $'s to keep up with the Jones's of the world.

Last edited by Cantalope Kid; 11-16-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cantalope Kid
I'll stack a totum poll up in the alley by the dumpster of just your name brand (Sony) TV for you, okay? The extra money spent on WHAT IF circumstances happening to your $1k+ Tv set aren't worth betting on someones war story 1984 Tv set.
wow, that would really teach me. ill stick with consumer reports on this one. extended warranties have been proven to be worthless.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Banned

wow, that would really teach me. ill stick with consumer reports on this one. extended warranties have been proven to be worthless.
Consumer Reports . You still reading Reader Digest too? You keep playing your scratch offs bud. Send me a link. I'll be happy to post it up at the shop for those customers who can't afford the Tv repairs. I know we ended up with alot of customer do-dads for our house this way so you just keep misinforming people for us okay!
Old 11-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Banned

Here I'll do it for you...

http://www.smartmoney.com/consumer/i...story=20050707

http://www.smartmoney.com/consumer/i...=20050707#list

Here is something that I found might appease you? Humm...Wonder why thats there?

"That said, there are certain situations when an extended warranty might make sense — like when you purchase something expensive, such as a $6,000 Viking range, or an electronic device, like a plasma TV. But in most cases, consumers are better off skipping this option....Extended warranties could make sense for electronics that are fairly new to the market, such as plasma and liquid-crystal display (LCD) TVs, which have yet to prove their long-term reliability, according to Consumer Reports. CNET's Merritt warns that the large high-definition televisions have lamps inside of them that have a tendency to burn out. An extended warranty that covers that part might make sense. Some companies consider the lamp issue part of normal wear and tear and won't cover it, he says. "

Last edited by Cantalope Kid; 11-16-2007 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:41 PM
Banned

yes it is worth it dont get the accidental tho, they will come out and fix it for you if its a bulb.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

i think its only worth it with those 1k plus flat screen Tv's
in my room i have a cheap Sanyo 27 inch that i had for 3 years now.. working great =) and i leave the bitch on for hrs
Old 11-16-2007, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

Got a 52 inch Mits DLP about 4 years ago from Bestbuy and got the warranty. 3 years into it (and a move across country) it went out. They came out tried to fix it couldn't. I went in and got a 64" Mits DLP with more features and better pic under warranty. So I would say yes it payed for its self.

The Best buy warranty covers one bulb also on DLP so that right there will pay for it.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Paul, your pockets are deep enough that you don't need no extended warranty. If it breaks, blows, or whatever, you can just go get another one.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SEB
This guys is the smartest in this thread.
Hahaha. Funny because I am a girl I win.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

statistics are pretty one sided on the chances of your new tv having any issues in years 2 through 4. if your going to have probs it will probably be w/in the first year. i declined the instore warranty on the last tv i bought. when i opened the box at home there was a direct manufactures offer to extend the 1 year warranty at a lower cost then the store had offered. i also know that at some stores you can go back and purchase the extended warranty w/in 30 days of the sales date. so, maybe you could check the offers in the box first and if its not offered you could go back and add it if you realy are worried about not having a warranty. also, i would never advise anyone of doing something illegal but i have heard of instances were a nonfunctioning expensive tv was bumped off its its stand during a party and the homeowners policy covered the value minus the deductable, the key here is that you would not put in a claim unless it is a very expensive item.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Mustang Moderator

Originally Posted by Dirty Birdy
Paul, your pockets are deep enough that you don't need no extended warranty. If it breaks, blows, or whatever, you can just go get another one.
LOL! I wish! Everytime I go in to CC or BB I always have to browse the tv's and can only think to myself - "Damn! That would really look nice in the living room!" LOL! My old big screen is just that! OLD! The picture is getting dark and my little 30" is better for watching movies...

I'm still up in the air on this warranty thing! $500 on a $2000 tv is a lot of money....decisions, decisions, decisions!!

Quick Reply: Is protection plan on Big Screen TV worth it??