Old 11-25-2007, 03:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AT&T U-verse HD Tv and Internet service
Old 11-25-2007, 04:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS_Juan
Depending on what you do online, you may not even notice the difference between 3 mg and 6 mg. The people who complain about it the most are usually the hard core gamers.
the actual download speed means jack **** to "hardcore gamers" (assuming the speed is 1Mbit/sec or more). what matters to gamers is the latency.

you could have one person on a 3Mbit/sec line with a 30ms ping time to the server, vs. another on a 6Mbit/sec line with a 120ms ping time to the server.....if each player presses an attack button at **exactly** the same time, who do you think is going to win? the person on the "slower" 3Mbit/sec connection will win, because it only took 30ms for his button-press to be registered on the server, vs. the 120ms for the "faster" 6Mbit/sec connection to get the same button-press to the server.

the "faster" speed only counts when doing a continuous download, such as when downloading large files or streaming music/videos over the internet.

so if you do a lot of downloading and you REALLY hate to wait (who doesn't?), you're better off getting the 6Mbit/sec line over the 3Mbit/sec line, as long as it's within your budget.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Staging Lane

I've had att u-verse and internet for a little over 6 months after switching from comcast. I personally didnt notice a difference in my internet spped feels the same to me
Old 11-25-2007, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Strini SS
I now have AT&T U-verse HD Tv and Internet service !!! its 100% better the comcast which I canceled ASAP once I heard about AT&T. Alot more HD stations hell more stations period. Intenet seems to work alot fast as well. Saving $20 a month from comcast.

I only use AT&T U-verse for cable and internet.

B
Glad to hear this. Getting mine installed on Dec 4. It is cheaper and looked like a much better deal. I am sick of Comcast, but I am not going to have a dish either. This was perfect.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:25 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS_Juan, the only thing I do online is forums, downloading videos, pics, etc. I do nothing out of the ordinary. I don't do gaming. Is there a way to check if Elite is available in my area?

What are STBs?

THE BLACK WIDOW,

00T\A, which internet and TV service do you have? They offer 3 for each. How much do you pay?

02Z28LS1, so from your perspective, I would want the higher MBPS since I don't do gaming, just continuous downloading.

s/c stang, which internet and TV service do you have, they offer 3 for each? How much do you pay?

Lastly, to all those who are complaining about the cost on Comcast, rates going up instead of down, how come you just didn't call them to complain? If you had threatened to cancel, they probably would have done with they did for us to keep us as customers. We pay $88 a month with taxes for cable TV, 1 digital box, Sports Entertainment bundle, and 6 MBPS high speed internet.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
Lastly, to all those who are complaining about the cost on Comcast, rates going up instead of down, how come you just didn't call them to complain? If you had threatened to cancel, they probably would have done with they did for us to keep us as customers. We pay $88 a month with taxes for cable TV, 1 digital box, Sports Entertainment bundle, and 6 MBPS high speed internet.
Actually, when I called a while back about our bill going up and not getting any notice, I was basically told it was comcast now and shouldn't be a big deal because it wasn't really all that much. I told them I might change because I wasn't happy about it. Their response was "that is your choice". It made the decision really easy when I got a call from AT&T to see if I was interested. And with AT&T UVerse....your price never changes unless you change plans.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Teching In

LS_Juan, the only thing I do online is forums, downloading videos, pics, etc. I do nothing out of the ordinary. I don't do gaming. Is there a way to check if Elite is available in my area?

What are STBs?

THE BLACK WIDOW,

00T\A, which internet and TV service do you have? They offer 3 for each. How much do you pay?

02Z28LS1, so from your perspective, I would want the higher MBPS since I don't do gaming, just continuous downloading.

s/c stang, which internet and TV service do you have, they offer 3 for each? How much do you pay?

Go to the At&T website and enter the address. It should tell you the profiles available.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
the actual download speed means jack **** to "hardcore gamers" (assuming the speed is 1Mbit/sec or more). what matters to gamers is the latency.

you could have one person on a 3Mbit/sec line with a 30ms ping time to the server, vs. another on a 6Mbit/sec line with a 120ms ping time to the server.....if each player presses an attack button at **exactly** the same time, who do you think is going to win? the person on the "slower" 3Mbit/sec connection will win, because it only took 30ms for his button-press to be registered on the server, vs. the 120ms for the "faster" 6Mbit/sec connection to get the same button-press to the server.

the "faster" speed only counts when doing a continuous download, such as when downloading large files or streaming music/videos over the internet.

so if you do a lot of downloading and you REALLY hate to wait (who doesn't?), you're better off getting the 6Mbit/sec line over the 3Mbit/sec line, as long as it's within your budget.

I agree, but sometimes the service gets oversold and people have 6meg downloads that are unstable, going up and down. If you have service that goes up and down, man it feels like it is slower than dial up.Just seems the gamers complain about it the most, maybe they use this as an excuse to why they are losing, not sure.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 97LT1
Cable can transport more info vs phone wire.
How do you figure? Like 95% of the thickness of a coax cable is insulation.

I think for my internet and phone I pay like $65 /month, I just got a cell phone with them, but I couldnt have it in the whole package thing since I needed a deposit. We have the ATT internet at work and its a dog, but here at home I dont have any complaints, I use mine the same as you Drag.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Okay here is the deal. Everything is based on distance. You may be able to get the elite package (6meg) but if you are too far, it won't be all that great. When it comes to dsl, you want stability over speed. If you get 6 meg but it is always dropping, it won't seem very fast. If you can get uverse, then that means you fit in all the parameters (distance) to get the elite service as well.Depending on what you do online, you may not even notice the difference between 3 mg and 6 mg. The people who complain about it the most are usually the hard core gamers. The Pro package is more then enough for music, videos etc. Just my opinion...
kinda true but it also depends on alot of other things like the gauge wiring used from the cross box to the prem, and alot of other factors but distance is a small part
Old 11-26-2007, 12:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tin.Can.Z
kinda true but it also depends on alot of other things like the gauge wiring used from the cross box to the prem, and alot of other factors but distance is a small part
Distance is the main factor. It's actually loop resistance. Longer loop, more resistance. The gauge of the wire can reduce or increase the resistance. U-verse tech?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

02Z28LS1, so from your perspective, I would want the higher MBPS since I don't do gaming, just continuous downloading.[/B]
even a 3Mbit/sec connection is a pretty good connection, but faster is even better. i kinda miss my 4Mbit/sec cable connection that i used to have, vs. the 3Mbit/sec i'm on now, but not all that much, considering those bastards at *** Cable (now Suddenlink) couldn't keep the connection from going down for several hours at a time......EVERY....SINGLE......NIGHT.

personally, i hope Verizon brings their Fios service here soon....it's fiber optic service, and it's SICK speeds.....15Mbit down/15Mbit up for $65/month.

but to answer your question, it's up to you whether the extra speed is worth the extra money. theoretically, a 6Mbit vs. a 3Mbit connection will be twice as fast, but it really depends on the usage of other people on your cable node, as well as how fast of a connection there is on the server that you're downloading from.

if i had a choice between those two speeds, i'd definitely go for the 6Mbit....worst case scenario, if your connection can't support that speed, you can simply downgrade to the 3Mbit and save some money each month....if it can support that speed, you're good to go, assuming the server you're downloading from can support that speed.

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
How do you figure? Like 95% of the thickness of a coax cable is insulation.
the thickness of the cable doesn't really matter so much.....what matters is the frequency range that the cable supports.

DSL connections have a lower maximum speed because they use a smaller portion of the frequency range that the physical cable can support, due to the fact that they have to share the same copper cables as the voice telephone connection.

cable modem connections don't have the same limitation, which increases the maximum throughput speed that they can support vs. DSL.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Ok So tell me this fellow members of the broad How much would I pay for the following services if I was to go with ATT&T versus Comcast, or Satelite provider

Basic Cable Channels
Digital Cable Channels
HBO--10 channels (bundle)
DVR
Earthlink/Comcast Cable Internet
If I was to go with ATT&T How much would I save? BTW I am a Hardcore Gamer and the Internet connection although it is Cable is pretty shitty sometimes. Also I live 1 mile away from 6-10 to factor in the distance for the speed in DSL. And One more thing, What About Verizon? What's that thing called PHyos or Zyos?? Is it faster than Comcast and ATT&T.Oh and one more thing, the ATT&T TV is throught Cable or Satelite?? I really dont wanna get satelite cause Houston has crazy crappy weather and the weak signals from satelite **** me off.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have been meaning to call for the past few weeks.

I am thinking about going to AT&T too
Old 11-26-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have Comcast, all you have to do is call them and tell them you are thinking about going over to AT&T or a Satellite provider and Comcast will give you their current specials. I did this a few months back and it lowered my monthly bill about $45.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by -Ross-
If you have Comcast, all you have to do is call them and tell them you are thinking about going over to AT&T or a Satellite provider and Comcast will give you their current specials. I did this a few months back and it lowered my monthly bill about $45.

I am on the phone with them now...... i have been on hold for 10

ok, they would not come down much.

I have digital cable and the 6mbps internet and I pay 105 plus taxes

they offered to make it 84 and then I have to pay 12 more to get an HD box.

screw that.

I told them about this deal and they would not match it. I would have taken this deal w/o the sports bundle .

I may call and try to talk to someone else and see what they can do.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Distance is the main factor. It's actually loop resistance. Longer loop, more resistance. The gauge of the wire can reduce or increase the resistance. U-verse tech?
noise and antinuation could effect the performance along with that, and what you are speaking of is what we call loop length, not saying you're wrong but there is soooo much that can effect anyone's dsl speed, but this ain't ADSL so it's better
Old 11-26-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -Ross-

Comcast jacked up my monthly bill $75/month so no special would have made me happy.

STB is Set Top Box, the converter box for your digital cable. The one in my living room has a built-in DVR and seems to be slow on the trigger when I select the program guide, change a channel, want to record...basically anything that requires use of the remote. I now think it's just that box because the STB in my bedroom is instantaneous when I use the remote.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have 2 HD DVR boxes and they both haul ***. My internet hauls *** too. I've got Comcast.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Teching In

ahhhhhhhhhh!!!! Some body answer my question. Also what's the Bmp for Earthlink cable Internet.