AT&T internet & cable vs. Comcast internet & cable

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redsox_ws6
Ok So tell me this fellow members of the broad How much would I pay for the following services if I was to go with ATT&T versus Comcast, or Satelite provider

Basic Cable Channels
Digital Cable Channels
HBO--10 channels (bundle)
DVR
Earthlink/Comcast Cable Internet
If I was to go with ATT&T How much would I save? BTW I am a Hardcore Gamer and the Internet connection although it is Cable is pretty shitty sometimes. Also I live 1 mile away from 6-10 to factor in the distance for the speed in DSL.
the AT&T TV service will is a bit different from regular cable TV, they don't offer anywhere near the number of channels as cable.....you can see their entire channel listing HERE

And One more thing, What About Verizon? What's that thing called PHyos or Zyos?? Is it faster than Comcast and ATT&T.Oh and one more thing, the ATT&T TV is throught Cable or Satelite?? I really dont wanna get satelite cause Houston has crazy crappy weather and the weak signals from satelite **** me off.
that would be the FIOS service, and yes, it is WAY faster than either cable or DSL.....and for a decent price, too. i can't get FIOS yet, but i will be among the first to switch when/if it ever becomes available in my area. i'm currenly on Verizon DSL at 3Mbit/sec, and it's done me good so far.....been using them for almost 2 years, and have only had 1 or 2 outages, and they didn't even last that long. but a lot of that will depend on the condition of the phone lines in your area, as well as how far away you are from the Central Office.

for the FIOS service, check out the FIOS Page
Old 11-27-2007, 05:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ahhhhhhhhhh!!!! Some body answer my question.

Very simple.

Call them and find out for yourself.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:14 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LeadfootDuramax, that sucks man. I would have waited, called back, and spoke with someone else. I'm sure you may have had better luck the 2nd time around.

02Z28LS1, I already have a 6MBPS. I was bringing it to the table that Comcast offers an 8MBPS. 6 is the highest AT&T offers. How would my connection not support a certain speed? (not doubting, just curious)

aggiez28, you should call to see what they can do before making the switch. I'm not trying to promote Comcast, but if they'll work with you, then why not. It would be a different story on my end if they did nothing about my bill. To answer your 2nd post, $33 for the internet, $33 for the cable, $3 for the modem, $5 for the digital box, and $7.95 for the sports bundle. All those prices are discounted except the sports bundle. If they offered you $84 for digital cable and 6MBPS internet, what's wrong with that? In order to have digital cable, you have to have the digital box. How many do you have? I think regularly, those boxes are $7 each.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
02Z28LS1, I already have a 6MBPS. I was bringing it to the table that Comcast offers an 8MBPS. 6 is the highest AT&T offers. How would my connection not support a certain speed? (not doubting, just curious)
because comcast is cable and AT&T is DSL. completely different technologies. comcast goes over the cable tv lines, and DSL uses a phone line. DSL is limited more by the length of the cable going from the central office to your house than cable is.

if you're on the outer limit of the length that DSL can support (i think it's somewhere around 14k feet, or close to 3 miles), you may not be able to get the highest speed and have it be stable. they may start you out at 6Mbit/sec, but if your connection keeps dropping repeatedly, they may have to downgrade you to a slower speed that will be more stable.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
aggiez28, you should call to see what they can do before making the switch. I'm not trying to promote Comcast, but if they'll work with you, then why not. It would be a different story on my end if they did nothing about my bill. To answer your 2nd post, $33 for the internet, $33 for the cable, $3 for the modem, $5 for the digital box, and $7.95 for the sports bundle. All those prices are discounted except the sports bundle. If they offered you $84 for digital cable and 6MBPS internet, what's wrong with that? In order to have digital cable, you have to have the digital box. How many do you have? I think regularly, those boxes are $7 each.
I did call them, they would not give me a much better deal.they offered to reduce my existing service from 105 to 84. I got an HD TV and will need a HD box and they said it would be an extra 12.95 or so. and then theres the fees and taxes on that. so its still going to be over $100

I am going to call back tomorrow and see if someone else can do better.