AT&T internet & cable vs. Comcast internet & cable

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 02:29 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default AT&T internet & cable vs. Comcast internet & cable

I have Comcast, once known as Time Warner Road Runner. I'm guessing Comcast has no specific name for their high speed internet. Anyhow, I was just wondering if anyone has AT&T high speed? How do you like it? How does it compare to Comcast high speed?

Current:

AT&T wireless phone (mobile)
Comcast high speed & cable TV

If indeed AT&T's high speed is just as good or better, I was thinking of switching over to AT&T for all 3 services. What do you guys think? As far as cable TV, the quality should be the same, the only difference should be between what and how many channels are offered for the price.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i use to work for at&t ...lol but i remeber some bad things about comcast cable.... when your tv or anyone server is down the whole block is shut down meaning no one can get on it.... they go always have the system down due to "updating" and some more bs.... i dont believe it but i thats what they told us.... but i love my yahoo dsl! great i can do research fast and be done in know time lol....especially when im going to work in the morning i can check my "car websites" in less then 20 mins! Yahoo SBCGLOBAL !!!!
Old 11-24-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I now have AT&T U-verse HD Tv and Internet service !!! its 100% better the comcast which I canceled ASAP once I heard about AT&T. Alot more HD stations hell more stations period. Intenet seems to work alot fast as well. Saving $20 a month from comcast.

I only use AT&T U-verse for cable and internet.

B
Old 11-24-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

OH YEA....one catch on the phone service...If you dont use long distance tell them you dont want anything to do with longdistance...lol cause then youll go get incoming calls and other bs and theyll charge you!
Old 11-24-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I have Comcast/Roadrunner internet and I think its faster than my gf's ATT service. When I try to watch videos or anything is dl'ing it seems to take a bit longer when using her service.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

comcast=blows....its alot slower than road runner
Old 11-24-2007, 02:50 PM
9 Second Club NA

Obviously Comcast doesn't offer wireless service, so I'll be sticking to AT&T. Right now I pay $69.99 (1100 minutes), $9.99 for the extra line, and $9.99 for 1000 text messages. Of course, the minutes and text deals I have are no longer available. I pay about $105 with taxes for the mobile service with no overages.

Now for high speed and cable TV, with 1 digital box, and the Sports Entertainment bundle, I pay around $90 with taxes. I recently complained about the bill because it was at a set rate when it was Time Warner, then there was talk that it was suppose to go down when Comcast took over, but it actually went up. So when I made the call, they offered to lower it to keep me as a customer. This month's bill was around $50. I'm guessing they gave me some type of credit for the previous month.

Anyhow, so if indeed it stays around $90, that's $195 a month for wireless/mobile phone, cable TV, and internet.

Basically what I want to know is, by switching over to AT&T for the internet and cable TV is going to save me money and will I be getting the same or better service?

Last edited by Dragaholic; 11-24-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:27 PM
9 Second Club NA

Ok, so I was checking out what AT&T had to offer. In order to get the same speed as Comcast, you'll have to get the Elite DSL, which is 6.0 MBPS. That's the current speed I have now with my internet. Comcast actually offers an even faster service, at 8.0 MBPS, but it won't be worth it monthly as there's no promotion for it.

DopeFedZ, in order to compare accurately, you'll need to know which AT&T internet she has. They offer 3, 1.5 MBPS, 3.0 MBPS, and 6.0 MBPS.

txh0tb0i972, not looking for a land line. We haven't had one of those in quite a while.

Strini SS, U-Verse has a lot of different bundles. Which cable and internet package do you have and how much do you pay? TV U200, U300, or U400? Internet express, pro, or elite?
Old 11-24-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camAro242
comcast=blows....its alot slower than road runner
how is that possible? it is the same exact thing, different name. Hello, I even have my same router from timewarner. Cable can transport more info vs phone wire.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:23 PM
9 Second Club NA

I haven't noticed a change in speed since the switch.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

No problems here with Comcast
Old 11-24-2007, 05:34 PM
9 Second Club NA

Old 11-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
Ok, so I was checking out what AT&T had to offer. In order to get the same speed as Comcast, you'll have to get the Elite DSL, which is 6.0 MBPS. That's the current speed I have now with my internet. Comcast actually offers an even faster service, at 8.0 MBPS, but it won't be worth it monthly as there's no promotion for it.

DopeFedZ, in order to compare accurately, you'll need to know which AT&T internet she has. They offer 3, 1.5 MBPS, 3.0 MBPS, and 6.0 MBPS.

txh0tb0i972, not looking for a land line. We haven't had one of those in quite a while.

Strini SS, U-Verse has a lot of different bundles. Which cable and internet package do you have and how much do you pay? TV U200, U300, or U400? Internet express, pro, or elite?

Okay here is the deal. Everything is based on distance. You may be able to get the elite package (6meg) but if you are too far, it won't be all that great. When it comes to dsl, you want stability over speed. If you get 6 meg but it is always dropping, it won't seem very fast. If you can get uverse, then that means you fit in all the parameters (distance) to get the elite service as well.Depending on what you do online, you may not even notice the difference between 3 mg and 6 mg. The people who complain about it the most are usually the hard core gamers. The Pro package is more then enough for music, videos etc. Just my opinion...
Old 11-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 97LT1
how is that possible? it is the same exact thing, different name. Hello, I even have my same router from timewarner. Cable can transport more info vs phone wire.
Service stinks more and they raised all prices....
Old 11-24-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS_Juan
Service stinks more and they raised all prices....
That has nothing to do with the speed however. Service sucks from both before and now. The $ increase sucks. I was stealing internet via airwave cantenna for a long time before me and my girl moved in together.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

I had TW now Comcast.... Internet seems the same. Its the TV that seems to be having problems. I get alot of skiping and jumping on certain chanels since Comcast took over. Called them and they had me remove the cable from the box and reconnect. Worked then it began again. Never had the problem when it was TW. Wasnt thrilled when Comcast sent out mailers and emails telling me about the prices being better when they take over yadayada then my bills look the same at first but now my bills are higher and no emails and mailers telling me that.....
Old 11-24-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had TW then Comcast. My monthly payments with HD cable and broadband was $105. After the rate hike it went up to $179 without any changes in service. Needless to say I yanked out my Comcast STB's and modem and returned the equipment and cancelled the account. For the same thing with AT&T I pay $106. My complaint is the STB isn't nearly as good as Comcast/TW's. I've been told that new STB's are in the pipe and are to be replacing the current ones soon. The sooner the better I hope.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Teching In

What's wrong with the STB's?
Old 11-25-2007, 01:49 AM
Launching!

my dad jus switch from comcast to at&T for a less cash internet i exactely the same except now i have some high tech looking modem ontop of my pc and the cable for tv seems to be better once i get use to it
Old 11-25-2007, 02:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TA adam
my dad jus switch from comcast to at&T for a less cash internet i exactely the same except now i have some high tech looking modem ontop of my pc and the cable for tv seems to be better once i get use to it
English please!!