TAMU announces Mike Sherman as new Head Coach

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They should of waited for Kubiak, Might be a long shot, but he was very interested in the job before Fran. I think Sherman is still a good hire, but why not wait? I hope A&M gets the Alamo Bowl
Old 11-26-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

BB liked Sherman a lot because he was offered somewhere near what Fran was getting(2 or 2.1M a year) but said he didn't need that much and would rather use the extra on getting in better coaches around him. I think he accepted at 1.7M a year.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

7yrs/1.8mil
Old 11-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Texas Director

I think Fran was forced to "resign" based on his poor record and also the VIP newsletter. Instead of paying him the full $8.5mm, they apparantly settled on half of that amount. If it would have gone to court reportedly Fran would have lost and gotten nothing, and if A&M would have tried to get out of completely paying him it would look bad on A&M and possibly discouraged other coaches from looking seriously at the Ags if they bailed on paying him.

I think Sherman is an "OK" hire, but not the kind of coach that strikes fear in the eyes of other teams in the Big 12. He seems to be a good person and a good coach. He was successful in the NFL and had some good years as an assistant on RC's staff. He's been out of the college game for a long time and it will be interesting to see how he can make the adjustment back to the college game. Recent NFL coaches going to colleges (Saban, Weiss, Wannstedt, Callahan, Spurrier) haven't fared all that well. I think it was important that Byrne make a quick decision and he did. I just think he should have tried to interview more candidates. Apparantly Sherman is the only coach they interviewed. I'd love to know what all was discussed behind the scenes and how they chose MS and also what other coaches they talked with.

Put it this way, if Texas was hiring a new coach, and they hired Sherman, I would kind of be indifferent about it. Kind of, "ehhh, he's OK". He just doesn't have that "buzz" that a Tuberville, Peterson, Meyer, Stoops, or Tressel type of coach would bring and that is the type of coach IMO that will bring in top notch recruits. Don't get me wrong, he's going to be better than Fran. Time will tell though. I understand that Darnell is going to be the only coach that is retained and he will try and keep the current commitments the Ags have and also pursue new recruits until MS can get in place. I wonder if the Texans (and Kubiak) will let MS go early so he can hit the road recruiting, which as you know is very, very important. If I were an Aggie fan I wouldn't like it at all that Darnell is staying.

Honestly, I'm more worried about the coaching situation at Texas than what's going on in B/CS. Akina has got to go as does Davis. I hear that Akina is going to be fired and that if Texas offers Greg Robinson the DC job he'll leave Syracuse to come back to UT. Supposedly Texas is trying to "help" Greg Davis get the SMU job, which would be wonderful! Hell, I'll drive to Austin personally to help him pack the moving truck, lol.

Obviously time will tell if hiring Mike Sherman was a good decision for A&M. It's hard to admit, but I've got to give credit where credit is due, the Ags wanted the game on T+1 more and just flat out took it to Texas and whipped 'em. Hopefully with the right offseason coaching changes will be made at Texas and the Horns can get things turned around in the right direction so that this kind of thing doesn't happen again for the next several years!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's a very shrewd hire. Sherman has a lot to offer in recruiting namely NFL experience. Having coached in the college ranks twice before at A&M, I think this is a solid hire.

I remember the USC alum bemoaning the hiring of Pete Carroll, famous for being less than successful with the Jets and the Patriots. He sure fit in with USC kind of nicely...
Old 11-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

HAHAHAHHA wow some of you tool bags know little to NOTHING about college football. Mike Sherman is a HUGE TOOL BAG! He's never been a great coach, and never will be a great coach. CHEERS A & M....just one more bone head move. Hope dem aggies get use to being owned by Tech and OU cause until Sherman leaves you boys are screwed. ENJOY THE BAD HIRE
Old 11-27-2007, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

reall you say sherman is such a bad coach

have you not looked at his work out at greenbay, he hasnt been so hot with the texans but look at his other jobs very consitant (sp) and alway a good wining record. he also has acomplished alot as a coah, and i think tamu will be btho tech and ou in the near future bud
Old 11-28-2007, 02:52 AM
TECH Addict

Good hire for the position and the rebuilding of A&M. I have heard his name thrown around in the past few weeks. Now comes the wait to see how his recruits will do in a few years, also how Fran's recruits do in a new system.

Now where will Fran end up ? SMU ? Arkansas ? BAYLOR ???

I hope Arkansas since A&M and the Razorbacks are close to finalizing a deal to start playing in 2009 in the new Cowboy stadium. But I am sure he will go back to a Colorado State or an SMU. He has better success the smaller the programs expectations.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

not real happy

Gig'em