Some f-ckhead broke into my truck today

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My homeowners policy does cover it, but my deductible is 1% of my home value. For example, 1% of $200,000 would be $2,000. More than the cost of what was stolen.
not when you add up teh cost of the 2 turbos you had in the truck, the 3 fcustom 1911s, the laptop and the gold watch they stole.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:17 AM
Teching In

Default Pawn Shops

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Glad to hear that. what if pawn shops are shady and do not report guns though?
Nah They have to report them if they buy them. Then if the crack head pawns a gun before it can be put up for sale the serial # is run. So just pray the **** head that did it dosent just sell it on the street. I eel your pain bro I have a 23c and I would be furious if someone stole it
Old 12-14-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to bogart your thread, but just to pass some info:

For those of you who sometimes may have to leave a firearm in your car, here are some examples of car gun safes:

Easy to conceal under the seat.

Both of these are under $100

Old 12-14-2007, 08:08 PM
Launching!

that sucks man.. someone broke into my truck weds. night and tried to get my cd/dvd player and broke it in the process. now i need a cd player and passenger window. they were kind enough to leave the amp and everything else which is in plain sight. i stay in katy tho
Old 12-14-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Tools

Funny you mention "tools"...

Anyway, I was wanting to know how they got the door open once they yanked the handle and then, why didn't the alarm go off? ...or if it did go off and no one paid attention.

Thanks!
99 FRC
Old 12-14-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe we should keep the real firearms somewhere else in the car and put a "fixed" one where they would look. Meaning one that fires a bullet the opposite direction. Or one that has the barrel closed off internally so the bullet blows back on you. Course that was proven on Mythbusters not to work....
Old 12-15-2007, 10:15 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FRC
Funny you mention "tools"...

Anyway, I was wanting to know how they got the door open once they yanked the handle and then, why didn't the alarm go off? ...or if it did go off and no one paid attention.

Thanks!
99 FRC
Who pays attention to car alarms nowadays? I think I hear them every single day in a parking lot, most of them are just bogus and the stupid alarms are too sensitive. Nobody pays attention to those anymore.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You've pretty much settled it for me Tony. I'm bringing the civic to Houston and leaving my camaro at home...I don't want to risk it getting broken into or worse, stolen.

William
Old 12-15-2007, 11:33 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Will, that is probably a good choice since you will be living at a hotel. See if you can get a hotel near the Woodlands (north on I45) and it should be okay up there. Send a PM to Alex (GOGO) to see where he was staying as an intern.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Tony,

Damn, I'm sorry to hear your truck really did get broken into. I had heard it through HPD but I was hoping they were wrong. (This is Jesse BTW)

I've had my car broken into 4 times in the last 5 years and each time they could never get away with my car (though they did run off with some of my stuff due to my own stupidity if leaving it in plain site) and here are my observations/reccomendations:

1) Shave your door handles. Yeah, it's kinda drastic but it seams to work for me. Though a truly motivate ***** will just break the window...which leads me to item 2...

2) Install a fog-horn in the interior of the car. I'm not talking about some cheap old, ebay-bough, $50 car horn - I'm talking trans-atlantic ocean liner, air powered, 150 decibels of concussive force on the eardrums. Hook it up to only fire in the case of a break-in (meaning not in parrallel with the normal arm/disarm squeeks that come from the car's horn). If they break one of 3 things will happen - (1) they are detered by the massive amount of sound coming from the cabin, (2) they are flat knocked the F out, or (3) they run off leaving a blood trail behind them that is the result of the gushing coming from what was left of their ears. Oh, and you might get a sound ordinance violation - but considering how much I adore my car and my Sig 220 I'll take the fine. If the horn goes off you'll deffinitely be able to hear it from the 5th floor of ANY high-rise within a 3-mile radius.

3) Kill switches, kill switches, and more kill switches. Saved my car twice in the past.

4) When parked cut your wheels hard. If they try to tow the bugger away they will strike the cars around it, setting off their alarms too.

5) [theoretical suggestion only] Go to a pawn shop and pick up some beat-up, $100 gun with a removable barrel. Field strip it and then weld in a thick bar inside the barrel. If the would-be thief does actually end up stealing it then with any luck they'll try to fire it and be in fora big suprise.

6) [theoretical suggestion only] While I was up in Missouri I ran the idea past a lawyer of electrifying certain components of the car's interior that would only be accesible durring the commision of a felony. Needless to say the lawer I was talking to freaked out. Things might be a little more lenient here in Texas regading this aparatus, and would be more that wiling to share the circuit info, but again I want to say this is only an academic suggestion. This is a non-lethal application; do not barbeque the guy...rather stun him so you can kick the crap out of him at your own leisure.

7) There are a few companies out there that offer armored steering column covers. If you can find one for your car then I highly suggest it. Saved my car on a number of occasions.

Most of the above suggestion will protect a car from getting jacked, but only the fog-horn one will protect the loose objects in the car.

My $0.02.

Again man, I'm sorry to hear your truck got broken into - but think about it like this...it's a security audit (albeit a nasty one). What can you do to improve upon the vehicle's security now?

Jesse
Old 12-21-2007, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Insurance won't do **** since none of the items were permanent/attached to the vehicle. Basically, I just donated a radar, music, and pistol to some lowlife ******* that was too f-cking lazy to work and buy his own stuff.

Door handle just needs to be replaced, cheap fix.

yea when some one broke in my bros old 350z car insurance didnt cover what was stolen, i think it goes under house insurence or some thing but the deductible was way more than the value of the missing items
Old 12-22-2007, 01:01 AM
Launching!

damn you have some bad luck with theives
Old 12-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Launching!

i love my glock, i would be super pissed, as i bet you are....
Old 12-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Launching!

well maybe you should just swap your siren for a train horn too.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

5) [theoretical suggestion only] Go to a pawn shop and pick up some beat-up, $100 gun with a removable barrel. Field strip it and then weld in a thick bar inside the barrel. If the would-be thief does actually end up stealing it then with any luck they'll try to fire it and be in fora big suprise.
sounds like a great way to end up in court (gettign sued)