View Poll Results: Shoot CHL if you were chased to your car by man that is going to do you bodilyl harm
Shoot as soon as u can get it out
14.71%
Shoot as soon as I felt like I was in danger
52.94%
Shoot because he entered your car n a car jacking
20.59%
Shoot, but only after the fist fight was going down hill
2.94%
Pull gun just to intemidate
26.47%
wont shoot until you try fighting with him first
2.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

When can I use my CHL????

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 07:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ino
Should have said You feared for your and the life of your girl and shot.

That was a big guy. Makes me remember when my boys took me to the strip club last year for my b-day.This drunk guy was huge(tall and stocky) and he kept coming to me telling me that he was going to get married. I said congrats but the guy kept coming back trying to harass me. I told him to back off and put my forearm across his chest because he rushed me and then all his boys try to jump on me. Security came and they thru all their asses out when I explained what happened.

But then again you are responsible for every bullet that comes out of your gun.It seems that its a hassel having a chl sometimes cause I think of all the consequences before I pull my pistol.

Your lucky I was at a club with my roommate and a guy was bothering him. Security had already come over once and told him to chill out. About 10 minutes later he is doing the **** again and I ask just a general question "what's going on?" and he punches me. We all get thrown out because it's their policy even though we had the bouncer and 3 strippers backing us up. It may have also been after he punched me I laughed and said "you punch like a bitch."
Old 12-25-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

You can use deadly force against an unarmed person intent on harming you. Provided of course, this person is much bigger than you, and its obvious they have the capacity do some serious damage to you if they want to. Or if you have some type of disability that would hinder your ability to defend yourself.

You can use deadly force against two people the same size as you with intent on harming you. These types of physical disadvantages is referred to legally as disparity of force. Key thing to remember is, you gotta be able to articulate to a jury that you feared you would be seriously injured or killed had you not used deadly force. If there exists a huge physical size difference to your disadvantage (or youre outnumbered), then the jury would most likely buy it.

Now if two guys were going to kick your *** and you shot them, and it comes out you are some martial arts badass, its going to be a little harder.

What you need to do is get on the net and buy a 2oz can of Fox labs, or Sabre Red OC spray, and just carry that with you to the bar. If it had been me, I would have made that guy a test case for some Fox Labs. Theres no guarantees, but its quite possible he would have gone to the ground and cried for mommy.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aggiez28
this post is full of bad info.
items in bold:
wrong, not a grey area at all, wrong.
Really show me where it says you can carry a gun and be .08... It does not have a number, and I was told that you can't by my instructor he said, "If you are gona have anything to drink I would not have the gun because no matter the situation you will be opening yourself up to undue liability." You do what ever the hell you want though. Also what I meant as far as carrying where beer and stuff is served and it being a gray area the 51% sign means you can't no question, but there is lots of places that don't get 51% of their sales from alcohol, but at night they are pretty much a bar. In that case if it were not posted 51% on the door, but I was unsure I always do whats safe and leave it in the car. If you don't think the handgun laws are ambiguous and they are just straight forward with no gray area then you may be the only one. You can do what ever you want, but I just leave it in the car if there is any doubt at all, and I believe that is the smart thing to do.

Thomas
Old 12-25-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

alright guys, i agree with cyphur here... too much debate and speculation.... here is the law letter for letter regarding force, deadly force, threats, defense of life, defense of property, etc:
http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes....000009.00.htm

section 9.3x and 9.4x are the most important here...
most notebly:
§ 9.31. SELF-DEFENSE.
(b) The use of force against another is not justified:
(1) in response to verbal provocation alone;
Old 12-25-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1LSWON
Really show me where it says you can carry a gun and be .08...
it says on page 70 of the 2007 handgun laws book (page 76 of the PDF):
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/ls-16.pdf
(more specificily, as stated by texas penal code 46.035(d))
http://law.onecle.com/texas/penal/46.035.00.html

Q: Can I carry a handgun if I am drinking alcohol?
A: "Carrying" while drinking is not prohibited, but it is a criminal offense to carry while intoxicated
and as previously stated, 'intoxicated' is defined as 0.08 by texas penal code 49.01
http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes....000049.00.htm

but your instructor is a smart man, just as mine were... just because its legal, doesnt mean its smart. they could easily say that your judgement was 'impaired' even though you had one drink. reminds me of back in MA, we had DWI and DUI... driving while 'intoxicated' and 'driving under the influence'. you could have had dayquill before you left for work and get cited for DUI and lose your license because you had a BAC higher than 0.00 and were 'influenced' by alcohol even though you wernt 'intoxicated'.

and in regards to the 51% thing... its the TABC regs that state that they must post the sign, not the gun laws. if a 'bar' doesnt post they 51% sign, they are in trouble with the TABC and could lose their liquor license. there are PLENTY of places out there that seem to be 'bars' but are indeed resturaunts by the 51% law. The Angry Dog in deep ellum Dallas is one that comes to mind.

Last edited by slayer_taunu; 12-25-2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

1)glad the OP made the right choice(I'm assuming no one was hurt due to the fact that he's posting here)

2) pulling a weapon is a very serious thing and i think all CHL holders should think GOOD AND HARD about EXACTLY what would cause them to draw a weapon. I definitely have.

3) pulling a weapon should be a LAST resort. If there is no other way to make it out of the situation safely. then pull your weapon and use it. Don't draw to scare or intimidate. only draw if you intend to use the weapon.

4)if i were in exactly the same situation as the OP...I'd have my phone in hand dialing 911, then i'd hop in the car and leave. if i couldn't make it to my car, he'd made death threats, i was with my girl, and he had a visible weapon on him, I'd pull, warn, and fire(assuming the warning didn't deter the threat)........but who can't get away from a sloppy drunk...henceforth, the crisis has been averted

5) Silversierra should be chiming in any second now!
Old 12-25-2007, 10:48 PM
Launching!

wow! wow! When was this bro this wasent the other nite when we where all partyin at vitos cause you should have went and grabed me and my boys you no we would have choped that tree down at the knees streight up..
You all right? Who was this guy?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Really show me where it says you can carry a gun and be .08... It does not have a number, and I was told that you can't by my instructor he said, "If you are gona have anything to drink I would not have the gun because no matter the situation you will be opening yourself up to u01ndue liability." You do what ever the hell you want though. Also what I meant as far as carrying where beer and stuff is served and it being a gray area the 51% sign means you can't no question, but there is lots of places that don't get 51% of their sales from alcohol, but at night they are pretty much a bar. In that case if it were not posted 51% on the door, but I was unsure I always do whats safe and leave it in the car. If you don't think the handgun laws are ambiguous and they are just straight forward with no gray area then you may be the only one. You can do what ever you want, but I just leave it in the car if there is any doubt at all, and I believe that is the smart thing to do.
someone allready answered your first question...You can legally carry up to .08. As for what your instructor said... he is right. If you used your weapon and are at lets say .06 you may be ok in criminal court but I bet you may have a bad day in civil court. with that in mind its a good idea to not carry if you have anythign to drink... on the flipside of that you could also argue that its better to be alive and being sued in civil court than to be dead.

As far as the places that do not make 51% of their sales from alcohol, but at night they are pretty much a bar. you can carry there. it is not a grey area.

In that case if it were not posted 51% on the door, but I was unsure I always do whats safe and leave it in the car.
someone else may say you did the unsafe thing. it could go both ways IMO.

Of course there are grey areas in the law.

You can do what ever you want, but I just leave it in the car if there is any doubt at all, and I believe that is the smart thing to do
**** the smart thing to do to avoid legal problems.... the other smart thing to do would be to carry it everywhere you go, bars, court buildings, stadiums, etc. If the time comes to where I need to use it then I really dont care what any law says. Laws dont matter when your dead
Old 01-04-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by aggiez28
the other smart thing to do would be to carry it everywhere you go, bars, court buildings, stadiums, etc. If the time comes to where I need to use it then I really dont care what any law says. Laws dont matter when your dead
yep... rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
Old 01-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Banned

I think you did the right thing by leaving. You said there were three guys? the one threatening you had a knife, what if one of the other guys had a gun, seen you pull a gun, your focus is on the guy threatening you, and one of his buddies shoots you in defense of the guy with the knife.
What if they had no alcohol, like you, now you're a threat to them. Doesn't that give them the right to fire?
Old 01-04-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

6 lb's of pressure will rip an ear off and end a fight fast.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
I think you did the right thing by leaving. You said there were three guys? the one threatening you had a knife, what if one of the other guys had a gun, seen you pull a gun, your focus is on the guy threatening you, and one of his buddies shoots you in defense of the guy with the knife.
What if they had no alcohol, like you, now you're a threat to them. Doesn't that give them the right to fire?
Good question. It would come down to witnesses to determine who instigated the confrontation and if there are no witnesses I guess you better hope you're the last one standing.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

lol.....if the body is laying by your car....and the guy parked on the other side of the parking lot.... I'd say that while your not out of the woods, It would look really bad on his part.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:01 PM
LS7 Member

Old 01-04-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by white man
6 lb's of pressure will rip an ear off and end a fight fast.
i hear its more like 14
Old 01-04-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can carry your CHL everywhere no matter what. Schools, bars, bring your CHL everywhere.

Now, your CCW, I would only take that where the handbook allows.

CHL = Concealed Handgun License
CCW = Concealed Carry Weapon

Just FYI .
Old 01-05-2008, 12:06 PM
it is on low boost

You should have just told your girls to either shoot him or show him their Ta Tas! Either one would have shut his *** up for a while.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

shoulda shot'em.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now, your CCW, I would only take that where the handbook allows.
thats the text book answer.

I would say its a better idea to have it on you at all times (within reason)

I dont do this but it is what makes the most sense. If you are in bar and you get into a situation where you need it then the laws really dont matter.