Work out junkies: Best supplements for fast results w/the least side effects?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

how long will it be before u outgrow your home gym?
do u have an olympic weight set?, really the best way to see results is to go to a gym and hit the free weights, favor protein sources since it seems like your diet consists mainly of fast food.
whey protein is available in rtd cans, or blend your self some protein shakes, buy a thermos and take to work. if u dont build a routine u can stick to
u will not see results and by the time u realise it has been a month since u last worked out, 2months and so forth.
even 30 min. to an hour working with weights will yield results,
break it down to bodyparts a day
ex:
mon=arms bi's and forearms
tue.=chest and tri's
wed.=back and delts
thu.= legs and calves
doesnt have to be in that order, just throwing it out there
for me i need about 3 sets of 2 exercises with no more than 12 reps
for each bodypart. with a warm up set with lite weight
regular sets where its just heavy enuff where i can do 12 reps with no help or spotter or jerking with a smooth tempo for each rep
if i cant do 12 reps with tempo then its too heavy
i favor dumbells over strait bar, last time i was really into working out i was doing db flat bench presses with 100 lb. db's for 12 reps
i too will be online ordering supplements since im going back to gym as well
cus' my pack transformed into a keg
munches over crunches
oh and u cant go wrong with creatine monohydrate and a good whey protein source product
Old 12-26-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drag,

You'll have to start by learning your bodies own natural metabolic cycle. For most adult males, peak is in the early evening. Recommended to work out during that time and eat dinner within an hour of finishing. Protein (0.8 grams per pound of current weight, per day for healthy growth, sustainment), a healthy diet, water and sleep are the most important things you can have. Those things provide a stable and maintainable environment for growth.

Creatine and other supplements can help to take advantage of your bodies natural abilities, but most supplements have serious degrading effects on the liver and pancreas. Most supplements also hurt more than they help. Your body makes most all of the minerals you can supplement naturally according to its own determined needs. As you progress in rigor and duration your body will adapt and make the extra minerals on its own.

If your diet does not provide enough vitamins, minerals, and protein, then you can consider supplementing. Optimum nutrition Gold Standard 100% pure whey protein isolate is what I took in Iraq with great results. Also look into anti-oxidants and a good multi-vitamin.

I am no expert on bodybuilding, but at 205 lbs with 13% body fat I am pretty happy with my results.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also do not over work your muscles. Most people who work out heavily over work their bodies. Results are their focus so they push too hard. Tendinitis and all sort of other joint problems can ensue. Believe it or not less can be more. NemeSS made a good recommendation that will give the muscle groups enough time to fully rest between workout days.

I also recommend a good pyramid workout for 3 weeks, then work on toning and joint strength for 2 weeks and repeat. Feel free to change it up as often as you like, you're body will react well with change on occasion too.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by phantomLT1
It depends on what you are looking for are you looking to gain weight and mass
Or.. you looking to cut fat?

If you want to gain muscle mass there is no cheap way of doing it My best results were from the following legal supplements
NO2
CE2
creatine shakes or Whey protein

The number 1 way to get big is sleep. I cannot stress the fact of sleep you need to get atleast 7.5 hours of sleep each night and sleep and eat at the same time everyday as much as you can.

If you do the combination of both I guarantee results in a month. Remember when you workout you are just tearing your muscle. You will never increase size and strength if you do the same muscle groups everyday they need 48 hours rest.

You need lots of carbs you will spend around 100 bucks on the supplements above and it will increase your appetite largely.

Also ditch cigarettes and dark sodas they will kill you. Take the supplements exactly like the bottle says.

Just wanted to add to your advice here. You also have to cut the alcohol, not good for the muscles at all. Also feed yourself protein within 30 minutes after working out and try to take at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day. For instance, I weight a whopping 155......so I need to have about 155 grams of protein in my diet each day.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Lots of good advice in here.

Make sure you get plenty of protein AND carbs. A lot of people overlook carbs in a diet but they are important if you're going to have plenty of energy. Make sure you eat a protein filled meal within 30 minutes of finishing your workout. There are also some good shakes by EAS and Muscle Milk you can buy that are great post-workout.

Like everybody else said, get 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. So make sure you're getting about 200 grams of protein per day. Make sure you eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, drink at least a gallon of water a day, and get plenty of rest. Rest is extremely important to having good workouts and avoiding injury.

As far as supplements go, you're still at the age where if you eat right, work hard, and get rest you should see some nice results. If you don't already take one, get a nice daily multi-vitamin to help replace all of the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients you'll be spending in the gym.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

I've heard muscle milk adds considerable protein to one's diet and tastes OK. Can mix it with water or use milk. Proper diet and exercise goes a long way...
Old 12-26-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Lot Of Good Advice

The most important thing I wanna say again is a sleeping and eating routine. If you don't rest you are not going to get anywhere. Also someone stated multivitamins. Thats a good point also that I forgot to mention. Yes alcohol is bad expecially hard liqour if you workout then go get trashed off a bottle of Jack Daniels you might as well not have worked out. Now beer is not as bad. I drink my fair share on the weekend.

Also maxing out is never a good idea. Dont be that D-BAG that goes in the gym and puts 3 plates on each side and lifts it once while grunting loud so everyone knows exactly who the D-Bag is.

Reps build muscle. Concentrate on form most importantly.
I believe somenone said pyramid thats also a good idea for strength training.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

the next best alternative to steroids are prohormones..a lot of companies make knock-off copies of superdrol,masterdrol,halo-drol.. and so forth.. i have friends that take them.. they work..usually about 10 to 14 lbs. in 4 wks.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

stupid question but how do you do a pyramid workout?
Old 12-26-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chae
I've heard muscle milk adds considerable protein to one's diet and tastes OK. Can mix it with water or use milk. Proper diet and exercise goes a long way...
I've never tried the Muscle Milk stuff but I use the EAS stuff every day and I really like it. It doesn't taste bad at all and it's loaded with tons of great stuff. I use their protein powder, meal replacement bars, and post-workout shakes. All good stuff.

If you're looking to get bigger find a weight you can do 9-12 reps with while still maintaining good form. If your form breaks down you won't see the benefits. The last few reps of each set should be pretty difficult to do.

Also, make sure you spend 10-15 minutes warming up and stretching before you start any heavy lifting. You can also use less weight on your first set to help you warm up.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by phantomLT1
Very true but the supplements that I listed CE2 and NO2 it takes longer to loose your gain. Now shakes I can def see how thats kinda a waste but not if you keep with it
i do the protein shakes only because its pure calories, i work 8-5, and by the time 5pm rolls around, im hungry as hell. drink one and it fills me up, then off to the gym.

good advice in this thread, i wouldnt say that muscle milk stuff adds weight to you. i think working out 4 to 5 times a week has paid off.

Last edited by bmxer8699; 12-27-2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iMjG2s6UOaw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iMjG2s6UOaw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 12-27-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

J, when I was in Iraq and working out daily I tried 17-HD. I had tried the Muscle Tech stacks with 14 pills a day and felt more with the one pill a day from 17-HD. It is pricey but I had explosive workouts and grew quite quickly. I am planning on getting back into the gym very soon and after some good cardio to start, I will be taking it again.

It all depends on what you want to accomplish. If you take it and don't work out hard, you will see no gains. When I mean hard, I mean you should have to hold up your fork with both of your hands after a workout.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Banned

Supplements are different for everybody. About 2 years ago I weighed in around 225lbs and I made the decision to lose the weight/work out because I was just unhappy and dissapointed in the way I looked. The first three weeks or so were the hardest but after that it's like I felt bad if I didn't go to the gym or run/cardio. Took me about 3 months to drop to 195 while bulking up quite a bit, I would have liked to lose about 7-8more lbs and I would have been happy...then I found my fiance,now my wife. I'm back up to about 230 and I'm about to start hittin it hard again.

It was pretty easy once you get into the routine of things, I just drank whey protein, I used noxplode for about a month then it really had no effect on me. I wasn't on a strict diet but I did watch what I ate, mostly chicken, fish and lean meat. On the weekend I would just eat whatever I wanted but I would do a little extra cardio or something to make up for it.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Banned

Oh yea, I took a good multi-vitamin every day also.

As for the noxplode it was basically just a shot of caffeine and it helped me to really get focused in on my workout. It was pretty effective for about a month.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Don't forget to add L-Glutamine for recovery to the list. I use to just take this along with the long list of other **** I use to take. Different kinds/brands of whey/soy protein, creatine, and hydroxycut w/ ephedra. They don't sale it w/ ephedra anymore. I'd say one of the most important factors in getting the results you want is that you must be consistent. Stick w/ it. It took me 3 months before I started seeing BIG results in my physique and strength. Hell, now that football is coming to an end I'll join you.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just want to throw a few others up there...

if you have a hard time waking up in the morning, this helps a little.

take 5htp with your breakfast meal, 2-3mg melatonin about 30min before bed
leave a few supplements (arginine, multi vitamin, etc) and a glass of water next to your bed, set alarm 2 hours before you really wake up, take, then reset alarm
start off with a protein shake when you wake up, let your body adjust, do your morning routine, then hit your standard breakfast
don't avoid the yolks of eggs, if you're only using 1 yolk per 4 whites, you're missing out on some key elements (don't need to hear any **** about cholesterol)
I've always gone with 1½ g protein per pound body weight, but also use more than whey... Casein proteins are your friend during the night and during a day you don't think you'll be able to get in an extra bit of protein elsewhere, it's slow burning, best to use before bed most times...
protein shake before AND after you work out, low carb low sugar protein shake beforehand, but after you work out you also need to boost your insulin levels back up, it helps your muscles repair and heal, so you can mix it with something else or drink a mildly sugared drink (gatorade I guess if you like it)
lacking a protein shake?
chocolate milk is your friend after a workout.

new versions of creatine reduce bloating and water retention, and require less of an amount to be effective
learn your supplements, L-arginine is a fantastic start, but there are others you can take to boost the effects of your workout... research on your own though, like it was mentioned, not everyones body works the same way.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Default Quick Answer

Here is a direct answer to your question:

Legal Prohormones (such as testrol, winadrol, deccabol, sustenol)
Creatine ethelyster (no water retention)
Tribulus (All natural and increases natural test levels)
NoExplode (Provides energy and Recovery)
Lots of Protein/Weight Gainer (Increases muscle mass and Energy)

Alot will depend on your workout. If you want to put on size, do low reps high weight, always have a spotter and push yourself each set. Try isolating the different muscle groups, train one body part a day.

Hope this helps a bit.

JOE
Old 12-27-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

You guys doing more than a gram per pound of protein are being wasteful and you're asking for serious health problems that don't always take 10+ years to become apparent. First of all, your body cannot use that much protein naturally, even with large quantities of legal supplements. Most adult male bodies cannot use more than ~.8g p/lb, p/day of total protein(s) intake. Serious athletes and weight trainers can have more, and naturally some people can have more than others.

For the health aspect a lot of people don't know how much damage even large amounts of protein can cause. My mom used to tell me about her and other doctors patients on creatine and whey and all the other various supplements, even a fellow doctor, and how even people in their 20's were having serious liver and other major organ problems due to the complications of over usage of legal supplements. Don't even get me started on steroids and people dying in their 20's from heart failure.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

Go with the nitrous oxide!!