Car TUNED.... TRANNY Killed.. LOL

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008 | 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

Its a problem from the driveshaft turning at the high RPM??
So basically lets say I do a t-arm relocation bracket...

Is that helping me to not produce this problem again... Or because of the driveshaft, I might still have this issue>
Old 01-10-2008 | 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by quickblade
So would you guys say more the driveshaft, or the torque arm ripping and bending around.
It looks like the break is in the area where the torque arm mounts up.. That is why we pegged it to that...

But if you guys have had experience with that being the driveshaft.... DAM...

here is another pic of the break.
did you have a steel ds? like someone said above, i had to replace my tailhousing after topping my car out on the highway as the ds cracked it and started coming out.. got an aluminum one and it's all good now
Old 01-10-2008 | 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6THZ28
did you have a steel ds? like someone said above, i had to replace my tailhousing after topping my car out on the highway as the ds cracked it and started coming out.. got an aluminum one and it's all good now
I do have a steel ds..... I am trying to peg down exactly what it is...
I seen the deal about the driveshaft, but I have also heard about relocating the t-arm also..

basically I will end up doing both, but I am really trying to figure out which was the main culporate. So I can change that 1st.....

but if that many peeps have had issues with the steel ds.... Might hit that up..

I have just heard alot of crap about the aluminum ds... like they suck and when putting power down they can break..... again I have only heard this..
So any input from experience racing aluminum ds is greatly appreciated...
Old 01-10-2008 | 10:46 AM
TECH Regular

I do have a steel ds..... I am trying to peg down exactly what it is...
I seen the deal about the driveshaft, but I have also heard about relocating the t-arm also..

basically I will end up doing both, but I am really trying to figure out which was the main culporate. So I can change that 1st.....

but if that many peeps have had issues with the steel ds.... Might hit that up..

I have just heard alot of crap about the aluminum ds... like they suck and when putting power down they can break..... again I have only heard this..
So any input from experience is greatly appreciated...
I heard that the steel ds's are only "safe" up to 120mph and because they're heavier, they cause major problems rotating at high speeds. I will look up the thread to my post so you can refer to it for answers. Alum is superior to steel as it's much lighter and puts MORE power down, if it breaks so be it, it's still cheaper to replace than your tailhousing or tranny.

here's the link to what happened to me: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...0&highlight=ds
Old 01-10-2008 | 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

I heard that the steel ds's are only "safe" up to 120mph and because they're heavier, they cause major problems rotating at high speeds. I will look up the thread to my post so you can refer to it for answers. Alum is superior to steel as it's much lighter and puts MORE power down, if it breaks so be it, it's still cheaper to replace than your tailhousing or tranny.

here's the link to what happened to me: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...0&highlight=ds
so what ended up happening to your car??? was it the seal?
Old 01-10-2008 | 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

so what ended up happening to your car??? was it the seal?
i cracked the tail housing and had to replace it and installed an aluminum ds.. i've had no problems since.. the seal broke as a result of the cracked tail housing obviously. I would STRONGLY suggest an aluminum ds if you're planning on running your car at high speeds based on all the information I gathered from tranny shops/perf shops/experts during my ordeal
Old 01-10-2008 | 11:24 AM
12 Second Club

i cracked the tail housing and had to replace it and installed an aluminum ds.. i've had no problems since.. the seal broke as a result of the cracked tail housing obviously. I would STRONGLY suggest an aluminum ds if you're planning on running your car at high speeds based on all the information I gathered from tranny shops/perf shops/experts during my ordeal
I do plan on high speeds... and if I get out to the track and I am hitting 120 at the traps... ( i shouldnt be but.... ) if I do I will freak out and not race it again until I add a few more things on it.....
like safety stuff. LOL.... and ds, and control arms....

thanks for the information.
Old 01-10-2008 | 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would hope this is a built tranny if you tuned it for WOT shifts into 4th gear. And damn what gears are you running for the 3-4 shift at 120 mph?

I wish my wife wasn't so scared of the power!
Old 01-10-2008 | 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by germeezy1
I would hope this is a built tranny if you tuned it for WOT shifts into 4th gear. And damn what gears are you running for the 3-4 shift at 120 mph?

I wish my wife wasn't so scared of the power!
as for the tranny being built... yours and mine best guess.....
when I bought the car I thought it was stock...

gears... 3.73 gears...
it is tuned for WOT... but we didnt realize that we were in OD, when hitting it.. Luckily the part that was broke only costed 25 dollars...
I dont want the car to shift into 4th...
I am not planning on hitting over 120 on the 1/4 mile run...
not this year yet anyways....
yeah with the 3.73, @ 120 its pretty dam high RPM...
Old 01-10-2008 | 12:23 PM
12 Second Club

Alum is superior to steel as it's much lighter and puts MORE power down, if it breaks so be it, it's still cheaper to replace than your tailhousing or tranny.

I totally understand what you are saying...
But my tail housing costed 25 dollars..

if we put it the way you said it.. I think I might look to break the tail housing again, since that is 25 dollars... I am pretty sure I cannot get a aluminum DS for 25 bucks....
Old 01-10-2008 | 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Grimlock1968
Tootall, are you reading this stuff!
yeah looks like a drive shaft (not balanced for high speed) or a bad ujoint. Seeing how he has a steel DS, that's what could have done it. A steel shaft has a considerable size in rotating mass, when it's compaired to an aluminum DS. That might be why it broke at a high speed.

Get it rebalanced (on a high speed lathe) and check the u-joints. If you get a new shaft made, stay away from Houston Drive line.

Here's why
Old 01-10-2008 | 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

I am looking into the balancing of the shaft.... either that or getting a new one.......
Not sure since I am still un decided on what route to go...
But thanks for the info on houston place...
I will look around the DFW area, but if I have to go online to a well known place, I might have to do that.
Old 01-10-2008 | 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

I totally understand what you are saying...
But my tail housing costed 25 dollars..

if we put it the way you said it.. I think I might look to break the tail housing again, since that is 25 dollars... I am pretty sure I cannot get a aluminum DS for 25 bucks....
Good point if you do your own work. I paid a lil more than that for my job.. I would STILL suggest an alum ds so you don't have to keep going through broken tail housings
Old 01-10-2008 | 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

Good point if you do your own work. I paid a lil more than that for my job.. I would STILL suggest an alum ds so you don't have to keep going through broken tail housings
I am just talking crap having fun with it....
I am still kind of in awww that we were able to get this fixed for such a little amount of money.. I have been driving around listening to every freakin noise, and being like **** its going to break..

I know its not, but its that feeling like it is....

I am looking around at the alum.... shafts....
Old 01-10-2008 | 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

I am just talking crap having fun with it....
I am still kind of in awww that we were able to get this fixed for such a little amount of money.. I have been driving around listening to every freakin noise, and being like **** its going to break..

I know its not, but its that feeling like it is....

I am looking around at the alum.... shafts....
they run about $100-150.. yeah all we can do is laugh it off when something breaks. after the initial FFFFUUUUCCCKKK!!!! of course
Old 01-10-2008 | 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

they run about $100-150.. yeah all we can do is laugh it off when something breaks. after the initial FFFFUUUUCCCKKK!!!! of course

please tell me where you are finding them for 100 to 150...
LOL

I am not finding that price......
so if you know, please hook it up....
Old 01-10-2008 | 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

please tell me where you are finding them for 100 to 150...
LOL

I am not finding that price......
so if you know, please hook it up....
oh my bad.. USED that is.. as long as it was taken off a stock car with low miles it should work just fine.. mine was off of a stock SS and it was perfectly balanced
Old 01-10-2008 | 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If its still stock and you have raised your rev limit or lowered the TM limits which it sounds like you have. The DS is the least of your worries, stock it would not bang shift into 4th like you said.

Yeah mine trapped right at 120mph N/A with the mods I have now and a stock 4L60E/no stall luckily I have the 3.15's. Sounds like a pretty damn healthy car though!
Old 01-10-2008 | 06:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by germeezy1
If its still stock and you have raised your rev limit or lowered the TM limits which it sounds like you have. The DS is the least of your worries, stock it would not bang shift into 4th like you said.

Yeah mine trapped right at 120mph N/A with the mods I have now and a stock 4L60E/no stall luckily I have the 3.15's. Sounds like a pretty damn healthy car though!
I am thinking you are right.. like I had said, I could of had a bad casting on that tail houseing from the get go.. We found some blurs in the cast that did not look good... We looked on the bell houseing and the marks on the tail are not there.. so it had an issue when it got installed from the get go..

I am not stalled either... trapped 120... what is your time?
Old 01-11-2008 | 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its quite embarassing and it shows thats its good that I usually don't race from a dig. 11.9x @120.x

No runs yet with the built tranny and 3200 Stall