How much do plant operators make?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 03:18 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All this talk about field work. IT at XTO/ExxonMobil pays very well.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys maybe yall can give me some input. I currently live in south carolina but im from the baytown area. First job out of school was at Exxon's plastic plant in mont belvieu as a contractor. Long story short. I met a girl moved with her because she was in the air force. Now 11 years later we're married two kids blah blah blah. She's retired from the Airforce and now we are looking to move back to the Mont Belvieu area. I've only had 2 jobs since i've left. One was at Bayer and the other was at an ex dupont plant that I left in oct due to being financially secure enough to take off and get ready for our move. By that I mean getting our current house ready to rent because the market is **** here and help with the kids and my wifes seperation with the military due to medical issues she sustained while overseas.

Sorry for the long windedness lol but I recieved my ptcert in 02 and while here in charleston I earned my A.S. in Engineering Ops at a local college back in 06. Now ive applied at basically everything i've found online. My question to yall is how are yall hearing about the testing for different companies? Would it benefit me to go ahead and come home or should I just wait out till I get an interview? And I feel that with my home address still in south carolina that that might turn some potential employers away thinking im looking for relocation assistance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone has any leads on a house with some land in the mont belvieu, chambers county or dayton area that would be swell. HAR.com hasnt really been of any help to us and we're looking to buy soon with a 350k cap.

Thanks again gents.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

Most companies in the area use Certified Personnel in Clear Lake for hiring. I would submit your resume to them. Enterprise is a fast growing company in the area so you may want to apply with them as well, eprod.com. I work at Chevron in Baytown and we seem to always be hiring as well, you'd have to apply here online as well. Good luck.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:36 PM

Someone please give me some information about Process Technicians salaries in Pensacola, Fl. I have an interview at Exxon Mobil's Pensacola plant. Is the salary the same there as in their other plants for process technicians?
Old 06-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

I work at Exxon in Baytown. Don't know what kind if facility they have in Pensacola but it it's a chemical plant or refinery and you are trying to get in as a process technician I would guess the first year starting pay will be anywhere between $55k and $70k depending on the pay scale progression, starting pay and the amount of overtime available to you.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:41 PM

I have a a second interview with Exxon Mobil and was told that I would meet the Plant/Operations manager. Also, there will be a tour of the plant. Does this mean I have the job?
Old 06-07-2013, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

Doesn't mean you have the job, but it's a good sign. Don't mess it up!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

I start Monday, I'll let you know
Old 06-11-2013, 04:40 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I applied at Exxon in 1987 and took the test along with 8000 other folks over at the Pasadena Convention center over the period of a week. I made the cut and went to the interview where the offered me the job. I was sitting there looking at all these guys who would give anything to have the job. At the time starting pay was $10.70/hr and went to $13.00/hr after 3 months, top pay was $19.21/hr after about 3 years (I think).

I was just a punk kid and I didn't want to steal the job from someone who really needed it. I was at Exxon in the big conference room at the "White House" I heard someone behind me talking to their wife saying, and she said "if you get this all our problem will be over". In my interview I asked if once I finished college if I could a lateral transfer to the IT dept. The interviewer said, "nope if we hire you as an operator thats all you will ever do". Then he said " Also since it is shift work, you'll need to go ahead and quit college, you'll never finish".

So, they just came out and said you have the job if you want it, do you want it. I told them to give it to someone who really needed it and thanked them for their time. I figured at that time if it was that easy to pass the test and get an interview if college didn't work out I'd just go back.

When I told my parents my dad was more than a little upset since I wasn't exactly doing well in college. He said "If you want to go to college, then I'm ok with that. But, you need to apply yourself, or you need to go get a real job". So, I just started paying my way through school so my grades were my business.

After that round of hiring I don't think Exxon had another big hire for probably 10+ years. They hired the occasional person here or there, but not the really big hiring programs. So if I would have needed that job I'm not sure it would have been there for me but I was 18, so what did I know....

If I had hired on with them I'd have been out there ~26 years now. But, the IT world where I ended up isn't so bad...

A lot of my friends are operators and the hardest part of their day seems to be deciding what the gourmet chef on the unit is going to cook for everyone that day. I know, I know when things go south you earn your money. But it isn't a bad life most of the time.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:19 PM

Anyone know what Exxon's physical/medical consists of. Climbing ladders, lifting, blood pressure, etc?
Old 06-20-2013, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the starting pay for someone in the dfw area with no experience?
Old 07-09-2013, 03:27 PM
TECH Regular

Operator job description -many hours of shear boredom with seconds of pure terror....

20 years in power generation for me. About half of it O&M technician doing I&C with gas turbines simple and combined.

What does I&C or I&E pay at the refineries if you guys know. My plant is closing so I'm looking to move to Tx.

Never thought I'd ask about wages for my profession on Tech!
Old 07-09-2013, 04:46 PM
9 Second Club

Panda energy is building a new plant in Temple. Couple of my buds are going there. We are all GE 7FA guys with GE d11 steam turbines. Avg where I am at is $22 to $45 an hr. I am on the high end of the scale due to commissioning plants and experience. Also look at

http://pandaenergy.com/Projects/Temp...7/Default.aspx

http://www.naes.com/careers-and-job-opportunities

Some of the guys I worked with that I helped out got hired for this company and are doing well also.

http://www.topazpowergroup.com/current-opportunities
Old 07-10-2013, 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

For those interested we are currently hiring operators at Chevron Cedar Bayou. You must apply online at their website. When you apply at some point you will be asked to cut and then paste your resume into a small box. Many people screw this up since the box is small and the format looks skewed. Do it anyway....do not attach your resume or you are automatically disqualified.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TurboS10
Operator job description -many hours of shear boredom with seconds of pure terror....

20 years in power generation for me. About half of it O&M technician doing I&C with gas turbines simple and combined.

What does I&C or I&E pay at the refineries if you guys know. My plant is closing so I'm looking to move to Tx.

Never thought I'd ask about wages for my profession on Tech!
Typically I&E make from 36 to 45 I make in between there an I have only 3yrs as an Tech. Pm me I know some places looking to hire
Old 07-10-2013, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

PM sent

One time we had local contract co. onsite doing crap we didn't want to and the plant tripped on a grid disturbance. They got scared cause we were running around the plant to get it back up and they'd never seen us do more than walk around looking bored while looking at various stuff or glance at the monitors in the CR.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Say bra if you can get on do it!!! Its a life changer this will be my second year @ phillips 66. Sitting at 68k end of june. Second year raise 29.11/hr. Many other perks......
Old 09-30-2013, 10:36 PM

Question

Hate to dig up an old thread but this caught my attention since I am currently at HCC in their Ptech Program. Let me ask this. I am a female will this help or hinder my chances of working at a plant? I am not married no kids been working all my life mainly two jobs and in college. Anyone know if there are women that work there? Im the only girl in my class.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:51 AM
Staging Lane

It'll deffinetly help. Seems like lots of plants push to hire women for diversity purposes and when you are one of the few in the pool odds are in your favor to not only get a job, but to be more selective in where you work. Good luck
Old 10-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Teching In

I work at a small amine treater and typical day involves about 2 hours of facebook 2 hours of managing my fantasy/sports betting...maybe an hour on this forum and about 2 hours of real work...oh and cooking out. Best job I've ever had and we are always shorthanded so I get tons of OT doing next to nothing. Winters suck...plants hate winter, but I will crack six figures this year for the first time ever...If I had it to do all over again I would have gone to I&E classes right out of high school and went that route...shift work eventually gets to you, but I'll have a sweet retirement(14% of every dollar I make) and a nice nest egg saved before I take a kush measurment job or something when I'm in my 40s! Getting on at plants/large corps is all about knowing someone unfortunately if you don't have experience.

Quick Reply: How much do plant operators make?