How much do plant operators make?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh and @cuteyhoney...what the guy above said...it will definitely help your chances.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:27 PM

I just found this thread by googling about process techs and operator salaries. But anyways, after thinking about making a career change to become a process tech and moving on up, I am definatly going to go back to San Jac or HCC in the spring to get my associates in it. Ive been working around the oil/gas/engineering industry ever since high school but mainly behind a computer or in a warehouse. I even worked at Hilcorp down in Sweeny for a few summers straight while going to college but that was about 10 years ago. I went back to school a few years ago to get into the drafting/design field but no luck. This line of work seems to be more steady and very lucrative. Im 30 and the 9 to 5 paycheck to pay check isnt working for me anymore. I know plenty of people that work at various plants around Freeport and Houston area so it may be easier to get my foot in the door when Im done with school (shouldnt take no more than a year)...Anyways I felt like I had to vent about myself after reading this thread lol.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:37 AM

I am currently in the process tech program. I currently have two associates one in liberal arts and one in culinary arts. Since I already have an associates do you think I should get one in process tech or would it be fine If I just get the certificate?
Old 03-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jim Pesmark
I am currently in the process tech program. I currently have two associates one in liberal arts and one in culinary arts. Since I already have an associates do you think I should get one in process tech or would it be fine If I just get the certificate?
The culinary arts one will come in handy if you ever get on anywhere.. you will be doing the cooking for the shift..
Old 04-19-2014, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Most plants do pay around the same, the 1-2$ difference isnt enought to notice on a paycheck. The thing to look for is if the plant your applying for offers a retirement. Several companies are cutting this out and this is a nice chunk of $$$ for when you retire. Also look into the benefit package, because some do suck while other companies have better benefit plans. The reason these plants pay so much, is because operators are DIRECTLY INVOLVED with the process. This entails high temperatures, extremely high pressures, dangerous chemicals, Deadly chemicals, large moving/rotating equipment, and working outdoors in any weather you could imagine...just to name a few. Not to forget about the PPE required sometimes when doing a job that can sometimes be very uncomfortable but its a must if you plan on going home in one peice and keeping your job. Being an operator isnt for everyone, and having some mechanical understanding does in fact help.
On the other hand, getting a job is the tricky part. Thousands of people applying and everyone is hungry to get their foot in the door. It all starts with passing the test, which you can google "Mechanical Aptitude Test" online and find several practice test. Other parts of the test are reading and information placement, and a math section. The more test you take, the better you get a grasp for the concept. These test are timed, and you have a cut off to get as many questions answered correctly as you can. IF YOU FINISH EARLY, GO BACK AND CHECK YOUR WORK.
Now if you pass the test, and get an interview then congrats. Most companies ask the same questions, and s sometimes you may have a new question that you havent heard before. The companies are wanting to hear certain words from you during the interview process.....words like "Safety, environment, housekeeping, quality, attitude, dependable" Learn how to fit these words into your responses and they will benefit you tremendously. The day before the interview get plenty of rest, and dont go into an interview hungry if you have that option. Stay calm and always remember that you are in control. Take things slow and relax.
I have helped several young people get jobs straight out of college. You just need confidence, to be motivated, and once again use the words they want to hear properly.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Turbo5.0
Most plants do pay around the same, the 1-2$ difference isnt enought to notice on a paycheck. The thing to look for is if the plant your applying for offers a retirement. Several companies are cutting this out and this is a nice chunk of $$$ for when you retire. Also look into the benefit package, because some do suck while other companies have better benefit plans. The reason these plants pay so much, is because operators are DIRECTLY INVOLVED with the process. This entails high temperatures, extremely high pressures, dangerous chemicals, Deadly chemicals, large moving/rotating equipment, and working outdoors in any weather you could imagine...just to name a few. Not to forget about the PPE required sometimes when doing a job that can sometimes be very uncomfortable but its a must if you plan on going home in one peice and keeping your job. Being an operator isnt for everyone, and having some mechanical understanding does in fact help.
On the other hand, getting a job is the tricky part. Thousands of people applying and everyone is hungry to get their foot in the door. It all starts with passing the test, which you can google "Mechanical Aptitude Test" online and find several practice test. Other parts of the test are reading and information placement, and a math section. The more test you take, the better you get a grasp for the concept. These test are timed, and you have a cut off to get as many questions answered correctly as you can. IF YOU FINISH EARLY, GO BACK AND CHECK YOUR WORK.
Now if you pass the test, and get an interview then congrats. Most companies ask the same questions, and s sometimes you may have a new question that you havent heard before. The companies are wanting to hear certain words from you during the interview process.....words like "Safety, environment, housekeeping, quality, attitude, dependable" Learn how to fit these words into your responses and they will benefit you tremendously. The day before the interview get plenty of rest, and dont go into an interview hungry if you have that option. Stay calm and always remember that you are in control. Take things slow and relax.
I have helped several young people get jobs straight out of college. You just need confidence, to be motivated, and once again use the words they want to hear properly.
You cant get any better advice than this.Ptech certificate helps unless you know someone.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Its funny this got bumped up today.

I got an email from HR today that Shell Deer Park is taking applications for Operators. If your interested, shoot me a PM with your email address and I will forward the info to you.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Turbo5.0
Thankfully mine offers 401k and a pension. We also wear no hard hats and can wear street clothes. Benefits of working at a pipeline.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
Thankfully mine offers 401k and a pension. We also wear no hard hats and can wear street clothes. Benefits of working at a pipeline.
No hard hats and street clothes...Who do you work for? Ol' Bill's Pipeline?

I've never been in a facility (Process/Pipeline/Etc.) that did not require at least a hard hat, steel-toes and FRCs.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

MMP, solid company actually. Steel toes yes though.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

I have almost nine years of operations experience. I wouldn't mind transitioning into pipeline. It's something to think about anyway.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ML'Sz28
I have almost nine years of operations experience. I wouldn't mind transitioning into pipeline. It's something to think about anyway.
Do you work at the bayer plant in baytown?I did a turnaround in there early last year.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ML'Sz28
I don't know what kind of money you're used to but top out is high 30's. Nothing like process money. But we don't have to deal with deadly chemicals and high pressures and temps. The only thing I hate is climbing tanks which we do once a month or during RVP transition.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

I don't know what kind of money you're used to but top out is high 30's. Nothing like process money. But we don't have to deal with deadly chemicals and high pressures and temps. The only thing I hate is climbing tanks which we do once a month or during RVP transition.
I'm topped out in the high 30's per hour... I don't think anyone likes climbing tanks.. I know I don't lol..
Old 04-29-2014, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unfortunately we have a few that you get to climb twice due to having external floating roofs. If they're close to empty it's a bit hairy using the stairs that go onto the roof. Damn near a straight drop down.

I know once my company posts a job for WY, MT or CO I'll be applying. I hate the summers here. You can always cover up but never take enough off. Plus I'm tired of the traffic and the amount of people.

Last edited by danieloneil01; 04-29-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Unfortunately we have a few that you get to climb twice due to having external floating roofs. If they're close to empty it's a bit hairy using the stairs that go onto the roof. Damn near a straight drop down.

I know once my company posts a job for WY, MT or CO I'll be applying. I hate the summers here. You can always cover up but never take enough off. Plus I'm tired of the traffic and the amount of people.

I'm in Ohio now. Been taking taking jobs up here since last year.

I don't know what you are used to but the winters here make you want to die.

I know you can put on layers, but the steel in your boot gets cold as ****.

As you can see in the pics your facial hair grows icicles, your nose ices up.

Control valves freeze up, you slip and fall everywhere, you can't do anything for your face really. It's so cold it gives you what I would explain as a sun burn on exposed skin.

The ice melts and washes away the dirt plant roads. **** is constantly stuck.

Name:  DC29CA13-F91C-45BD-81B2-235DB2C1815C_zpsn0gelpwu.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  146.2 KB

Name:  54CA720A-EF28-46C6-8A96-1505D2C5F603_zpst0mqlrpe.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  48.5 KB

Name:  7B6452CA-A299-4139-B1FE-980BE6A88341_zpsi976nsne.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  116.2 KB
Old 04-30-2014, 02:43 PM

Currently looking for Operations job in the Mont Belvieu area..
I have applied everywhere. Passed Exxon/Enterprise Products tests.
I have a year of process tech schooling under my belt along with two years of plant experience.
Clean background and reliable..
If anyone here has any kind of connections or can help at all I would be eternally grateful. Thank you.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by texansfan777
Currently looking for Operations job in the Mont Belvieu area..
I have applied everywhere. Passed Exxon/Enterprise Products tests.
I have a year of process tech schooling under my belt along with two years of plant experience.
Clean background and reliable..
If anyone here has any kind of connections or can help at all I would be eternally grateful. Thank you.
More than likely your going to need to finish school. What was your job role for the 2 years of plant experience?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackonblacksls
I'm in Ohio now. Been taking taking jobs up here since last year.

I don't know what you are used to but the winters here make you want to die.

I know you can put on layers, but the steel in your boot gets cold as ****.

As you can see in the pics your facial hair grows icicles, your nose ices up.

Control valves freeze up, you slip and fall everywhere, you can't do anything for your face really. It's so cold it gives you what I would explain as a sun burn on exposed skin.

The ice melts and washes away the dirt plant roads. **** is constantly stuck.

Bring it on. Dare I tell you about Houston heat, 90*+ with 90%+ humidity May thru November? I'm hoping something in CO will open up. It's not nearly as cold as MT or WY.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Bring it on. Dare I tell you about Houston heat, 90*+ with 90%+ humidity May thru November? I'm hoping something in CO will open up. It's not nearly as cold as MT or WY.
You forgot about it being over 100* for the whole month of August..lol

Quick Reply: How much do plant operators make?