How much do plant operators make?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deerhunter-Z28
Yea talk to LawHorn he can get you in @ exxon
Ha wish I had that much stroke. I can tell you what to do and say but I'd say the hardest part is booking a test slot. Those fill quick
Old 05-23-2011, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lets take that HOSS to the beach tomorrow. Or T Bone Toms for some muthafuckin crawfish.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LawHorn
Ha wish I had that much stroke. I can tell you what to do and say but I'd say the hardest part is booking a test slot. Those fill quick
Whats best to do? Ill be graduating high school June 2nd and my goal has always been to become a operator like my father but the place I have been working at the past 2 years would like to send me through the ASEP program at San Jac.. Decisions!

What are the odds of getting into a plant as a helper with plans of working my way up through the company ladder?

Thanks for any information, Jeremy.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:37 PM

I finally got a call for an interview. Invista in Victoria just called me back to set up an interview after over a month since I took the test. I had just about given up on them. Anyone have any experience with their interview process or know anything about what they pay?
Old 05-26-2011, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Hey LawHorn you have any experience on phone interviews or tips. I just got called for a phone interview with Flint Hills Refinery for a entry level process operator. I hope I do good, at least enough for a person to person interview. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Well, I had my interview today I think it went well. This is for a operator trainee postition which requires you to go to school for the process technology certification. I should know something by Tuesday, wish me luck guys.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:02 PM

Any advice on what to wear to one of these interviews? I don't to be over dressed considering it is a labor intensive job but I don't to be under dressed either.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:28 AM
TECH Regular

jeans and a tucked in shirt will suffice
Old 05-30-2011, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Just so you guys know, the best jobs in the plant are operator, I&E, machinist, millwright...in that order. I'm a millwright(Industrial mechanic) working on pumps, mixers, motors, blowers, etc. I work 4-10's having fri-sun off unless there is OT. My plant tops out @$34.65 an hour. I'm non-union.

Look into your benefits because alot of non-union plants have dropped pensions and raised health benefits to keep their overall profits up.

Operators come out of P-Tech a dime a dozen, but it is hard to find a good millwright. Just shooting out an alternative to anyone wanting to expand their horizons!
Old 06-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hitemup9nine
Well, I had my interview today I think it went well. This is for a operator trainee postition which requires you to go to school for the process technology certification. I should know something by Tuesday, wish me luck guys.
any news man I'm still trying to get on but I think I might go back to school and get my masters
Old 06-01-2011, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

I just had my interview today and I think it went well. I should know something in a week to see if I made it. Either way if I don't get this postion I'll be going back to school.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:52 AM

Just had my interview yesterday. It went better than I expected. There are about 23 spots to fill and they interviewed about 80 people so the odds are pretty good. They said we should hear back by the end of the month. Got my fingers crossed.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Teching In

I have a interview on Tuesday for distribution operator in freeport at dow, just trying to get my foot in the door. How hard is it to move up in that position and what is the general pay if anyone knows. Also I am currently Pipe fitting and have my nccer in fitting and rigging, what position should i be trying to go for that best suits my knowledge in the industry? Also I would like 4-10's or 5-8's, i enjoy my weekends off but I am open to anything now and am trying to make the best career move i can. Any advice would be helpful and thx in advance.

Last edited by ldr98ta; 06-14-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

After long thought and consideration ill be attending the ptech program as well...im leaving the PSD contracting world behind me to get into a plant hopefully in the next 2-3 years. to me its the most logical way to go because its a career that will be around forever.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm looking to start classes in august for the process tech degree. I've been looking at HCC and San Jac. Any advice in regards to the quality of the programs at both schools? The HCC campus is a llittle closer to me than San Jac but I don't mind driving further if it will benefit me.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:54 AM
Staging Lane

I live a few blocks away from hcc bit hear that san jac has a better program so thats the way im heading even if its further away. Im starting in january...
Old 06-16-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BluFlame
Just so you guys know, the best jobs in the plant are operator, I&E, machinist, millwright...in that order.
I disagree. They are all have their up and downs. And it's all relative to the complex and/or unit you work in. The job isn't for everybody. Get ready to not hang with your family and friends on weekends and holidays.

Best advice I can give. When you apply, apply for every position BluFlame listed. They generally make the same amount of basepay. Shiftworkers make a little more. Apply on their websites and with staffing agencies that staff industrial jobs.

For the tests, try to review some basic math skills. You can find some general practice problems online for the others. Pretty much involves reading comprehension and problem solving. If you get an interview, they want to know how you work safe, about your attitude and work ethic, and how you manage work. Work being anything from running a cash register to running a classroom. Most people have a college degree, a lot of new hires have 4 year ones.

I've tested for Dow, Ineos, llyondell, and Exxon. Exxon was the hardest. Had six parts, took over 3 hours to finish.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
I'm looking to start classes in august for the process tech degree. I've been looking at HCC and San Jac. Any advice in regards to the quality of the programs at both schools? The HCC campus is a llittle closer to me than San Jac but I don't mind driving further if it will benefit me.

Well I graduated from the san jac ptech program in 99 but back then they supposedly had the best program. As long as you graduate from a program I don't think it really matters what school you go to.

Soon there is gonna be quite a shortage of operators in the industry. In the next 1-3yrs there will be a big turnover of employees as people begin to retire. The last few times my plant has hired they said they weren't able to get enough candidates.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2 KLR
Well I graduated from the san jac ptech program in 99 but back then they supposedly had the best program. As long as you graduate from a program I don't think it really matters what school you go to.

Soon there is gonna be quite a shortage of operators in the industry. In the next 1-3yrs there will be a big turnover of employees as people begin to retire. The last few times my plant has hired they said they weren't able to get enough candidates.
Thanks for the info man. I think im just going to go to HCC since they are a bit closer.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Teching In

anybody took the Lyondell or Exxon test how was it what can I study

Quick Reply: How much do plant operators make?