Good Texans Off-Season News!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good Texans Off-Season News!

For those who don't really keep up with the Texans during the off-season, they're working on some big stuff.

On Monday Alex Gibbs started work for us as an 'Assistant Head Coach'. He will be overseeing the offense. Gibbs is the mastermind behind the Zone Blocking schemes that were in place in Denver and Atlanta during the late 90's. In these schemes those two teams led the league in rushing yards.

They are also in negotiations with Ray Rhodes. They want to bring him on as a 'Assistant Defensive Backs Coach'. Rhodes won 5 Super Bowls as a defensive assistant coach in San Francisco and spent 5 years as a Head Coach in Philadelphia and Green Bay. He was also the Defensive Co-Ordinator for the Seahawks when they went to the Super Bowl and lost to Pittsburgh 2 years ago.

Lookin' good for next season!!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

I read about this on the Chron. I love that they are heading the right direction (coaching wise)! Now to fill those CB and RB and add a OLB and we will be fine. Pushing it but I think we need another threat at WR as well. We will see what they'll do, so far so good.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I like this little bit of information on Rhodes.

"Prior to joining the Seahawks, Rhodes spent two seasons in Denver as defensive coordinator where he took the 24th-ranked defense in 2000 and improved it to eighth in 2001, and sixth in 2002. Three players received Pro Bowl invitations following his first season (CB Deltha O’Neal, DT Trevor Pryce and LB Al Wilson) while Pryce and Wilson repeated in 2002.

In 2000 with Washington, Rhodes improved the Redskins’ defensive ranking to fourth in the NFL after inheriting a unit that ranked 30th the previous year. His defense allowed the fewest first downs (254), total net yards (4,474), and points (269) by a Redskins team since 1992 and produced more sacks than any Washington club since 1991. In addition, two of his standouts–DE Marco Coleman and CB Champ Bailey–made the Pro Bowl."
Old 01-24-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

From everything I can find it looks like Rhodes has been successfull everywhere he's been. It would be a huge hire for us. Gotta get him signed!
Old 01-24-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

You can have all the coaches in the world. The players still play the game. Sorry, I do like the coaches there getting, but the team attitude and work ethic really needs to improve. We need some good off players.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:07 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Damn. I was hoping you would post that we finally signed an explosive running back.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Damn. I was hoping you would post that we finally signed an explosive running back.
After the Ahman Green deal I think the Texans wont be anywhere near trying to get an "explosive running back". The only way is thru trade and who can we trade for an explosive running back? I dont think we have any legit offers to put on the table. Would be nice though to get a tough "back" on the field!
Old 01-24-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Veteran

I too like the way the coaching staff is going. I have my doubts though that they will go out and actively headhunt for a running back. Especially with the hiring of Alex Gibbs, who shares alot of the mentality that he can create a top notch O-line out of little talent. If anything I see them picking up another rookie RB in the later rounds 3+.

I am really hoping that they try and pick up another O-lineman. I don't feel that the O-line is anywhere near as bad as some would like us to believe, but I do believe that it could use some help and at least some depth.

I think we are pretty solid at WR, but even so, that would probably be a position that we could look to FA.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EDALVA21
After the Ahman Green deal I think the Texans wont be anywhere near trying to get an "explosive running back". The only way is thru trade and who can we trade for an explosive running back? I dont think we have any legit offers to put on the table. Would be nice though to get a tough "back" on the field!
Wrong, ahman green might not even be on the roster this year if we can find someone. We can sign a back through free agency...michael "the burner" turner, julius jones are both free agents now. If we don't sign a free agent back I think they will probably use their 3rd round pick on a back.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

I really hope they can get Michael Turner. He's done well when he's in for LDT, but who knows what will happen if he gets in a situation where he is the premiere back. I think it would be a descent fit for him with the host of other descent backs that the Texans have.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Tap
I really hope they can get Michael Turner. He's done well when he's in for LDT, but who knows what will happen if he gets in a situation where he is the premiere back. I think it would be a descent fit for him with the host of other descent backs that the Texans have.
He's a stud back, just got stuck behind LT like anybody else would. I doubt they get him because he is gonna bring in some big $$$$$
Old 01-24-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeerHunter_Z28
Wrong, ahman green might not even be on the roster this year if we can find someone. We can sign a back through free agency...michael "the burner" turner, julius jones are both free agents now. If we don't sign a free agent back I think they will probably use their 3rd round pick on a back.

im a big boys fan, and dont mind giving up julius jones. he never really did anything after his first season. he never really got the ball past the line of scrimmage it seemed like.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Junkie

According to the Chronicle the Texans are expected to hire Ray Rhodes as early as today. He was in Houston yesterday for a meeting with Kubiak and Rick Smith. He also toured the stadium and then they went to dinner.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ben R
According to the Chronicle the Texans are expected to hire Ray Rhodes as early as today. He was in Houston yesterday for a meeting with Kubiak and Rick Smith. He also toured the stadium and then they went to dinner.
Yes sir !!